Hi all.

Newly acquired 2008 IS250 has Dunlops all around and at low speed I;m finding the tyres (especially the front) quite noisy.

Any recommendations on good inexpensive rubber from the forum before I outlay on a set of Pirelli's?

SYDERIS250

Hi all.

Newly acquired 2008 IS250 has Dunlops all around and at low speed I;m finding the tyres (especially the front) quite noisy.

Any recommendations on good inexpensive rubber from the forum before I outlay on a set of Pirelli's?

SYDERIS250

I've heard good reports about Toyo but no first hand experience.

• 3 weeks later...

the fronts should set you bake for the Kumho's about $200-250 each...i had them on my old car...the rears i'm unsure because i've never purchased in that size before, but as a reference, i've purchased the kumho's in 255/35/18 and that went for a lil over 300 each.

coming from a noisy car, the standard dunlops (sport maxx) are very quiet and aren't very cheap either

tyres places have been quoting me 225/40/18 for $350 each (rrp 500) and for the 255/40/18 $600 each (rrp 800+)

when it comes time to change my rears, def going a different brand!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just recently changed out my tyres to Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics! 225/40/18 & 245/40/18!

Was in search of something with similiar handling to Potenzas less the noise and these suited perfectly.

Running them for about a week and was well worth the dosh! :-)

I told my missus u can't put a price on safety. :D

• 3 weeks later...
I have kuhmo ecsta supras on my other car.

Good but very noisy.

Best I have used are Michelin primacy asymetric. Amazing tyre with better grip than Kuhmo.

Too me Kuhmo are a poor mans sports tyre.

There are several types of Kumho Ecsta tyres out there (I count at least 14). The one I used were the SPT's, which are rated pretty decently in www.tirerack.com. Tirerack is an US site, however they have their own track and do their own tire reviews which are quite informative and non-biased (since they basically sell every brand - they aren't biased towards one particular brand or another). To the original poster, it's an excellent site if you want to compare different types of tyres. The Kumho Ecsta SPT's are not the best performing tire out there however in terms of bang for your buck, they are excellent. I can get a better performance tyre, however I can also pay close to double for that privilege!

I haven't bought a set of Kumho's by themselves (since I got mine with my wheels) however I expect to pay somewhere between $200 - $250 for each of them when I do. That's pretty good for 18" "Ultra High Performance" (the category that they are rated as in Tirerack) rubber. So I guess I am agreeing with you on the "Kuhmo are a poor mans sports tyre" comment! :P

What I do know is that I was completely unimpressed by the Bridgestone RE030's OEM tyres. The were noisy, didn't grip that well, and I didn't feel that they wore well. In fact, I'd say I've gotten better mileage from my 18" Kumho's than my 16" Bridgestones which shouldn't be the case.

When I was shopping for tyres last, I'd call up a tyre place, tell them that I've got a set of Bridgestone RE030's and before I finished talking the tyre guy would interrupt and say "too noisy?". This happened in two places I called!

• 4 weeks later...

Further to my last post: Serviced my IS250 last week and got a loan Prestige IS250. After a good couple of years on my 18" Kumho's, I was surprised at how much tyre roar there was from the stock 16" Bridgestone RE030 tyres. I tend to talk on my phone a lot as I drive (Bluetooth) and I was shouting to be heard over the tyre roar. (And no, I didn't go into it expecting to compare tyre noisyness - I was actually meaning to compare tyre roadholding!!)

When my tyres do eventually need replacing, I'm considering Michelin Pilot sport.

Had Michelins on one of my previous car and they were great even though they were just the regular passenger tyres.

Further to my last post: Serviced my IS250 last week and got a loan Prestige IS250. After a good couple of years on my 18" Kumho's, I was surprised at how much tyre roar there was from the stock 16" Bridgestone RE030 tyres. I tend to talk on my phone a lot as I drive (Bluetooth) and I was shouting to be heard over the tyre roar. (And no, I didn't go into it expecting to compare tyre noisyness - I was actually meaning to compare tyre roadholding!!)

I just got Kumho SPT's as well on 18's - good tyre and not too noisy at all

• 2 weeks later...

I had toyo transpath sw on my IS200. and they were amazingly quite and an excelent tire all round.

I was advised against kuhmo as they cheaply made chinese tire. (Not very good)

I was advised to get japanese or australian with an a symetrical pattern.

check this out

http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...80&hl=tires

I had toyo transpath sw on my IS200. and they were amazingly quite and an excelent tire all round.

check this out

Kuhmo's are Korean and actually perform quite well compared to some Jap brands

check this out

Kuhmo's are Korean and actually perform quite well compared to some Jap brands

mate just what i been told... and personally prefer and cant fault any jap tire