Had A Look At A Harrier Today

There is a guy down the road from me selling his Toyota Harrier (Lexus RX330). He had originally imported this from Japan so hence the Harrier bits and pieces.

The main issue I have with the car is that the navigation unit is all in Japanese. Hence the GPS is in Japanese, bluetooth (yes on a 2003) is in Japanese, TV is in Japanese (wrong signal), buttons for the whole nav unit (except for a few here and there) and in Japanese.

How hard is it going to be to convert from Japanese to English? Will I need a new screen? Will I just need a software update? Is it just going to be a different disc? The buttons to change menus I can live with, but it's more the touch screen functions that are a problem.

Additionally the radio, as it is Japanese, is a different source code here in Australia, so I would have to get a different unit. That bit is not overly hard to do, so it's the least of my concerns.

Anyone know anybody that has done this? Was it a pain? Should I not bother and just buy a locally delivered one?

Thoughts?

On my Benz the languages etc are all configurable from the service menu. With any luck, the same may be true of the Harrier. Why don't you have a talk to the service department at Lexus of Perth - they're not too bad to deal with. (Though they do delight in parting you from your money :) )

The other thing to think of is that the Harrier may or may not have different engine / transmission part so if something goes wrong it could be expensive and involve a long wait to get it fixed.

• 1 month later...