Yes I believe you are correct that it is the same one. I think the VAIS is what all Lexus dealers are fitting. I don't know of another option. Except all late '09 on IS250 come with a factory USB which IMO works better.

As a tip if any of you decide to get a VAIS installed don't go for the iPod specific kit. Instead get the USB kit. Its the same except for the end connection. This way you can still run an Ipod just the same but also have the option of running other accessories.

A USB flash drive works great and is much less of a risk left in the car.

If anyone in Sydney wants one PM me & I can put you intouch with someone that supplies an fits VAIS products.

Hi , do you have this product in your car, ? If you did, id love to see it working before i decided to get one myself,. Do you have the details of them peeps that fit and supply these.?

~Richie~

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi , do you have this product in your car, ? If you did, id love to see it working before i decided to get one myself,. Do you have the details of them peeps that fit and supply these.?

~Richie~

PM sent.

Is this the kit we are all talking bout ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vais-Tech-Audio-Video-ipod-Car-Kit-Lexus-Toyota-SL2Vu_W0QQitemZ190367924544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers?hash=item2c52d00140

dis-lex-sic, could you PM the details of those in Sydney who supply and fit the VAIS?

Sydney City Lexus quoted me something like $700 for the vais stuff, which i thought was a bit much..

~Richie~

PM sent.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vais-Tech-Audio-Video-ipod-Car-Kit-Lexus-Toyota-SL2Vu_W0QQitemZ190367924544QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers?hash=item2c52d00140

dis-lex-sic, could you PM the details of those in Sydney who supply and fit the VAIS?

Sydney City Lexus quoted me something like $700 for the vais stuff, which i thought was a bit much..

~Richie~

PM sent.

I went to a place yesterday in Castle hill that is a dealer in the VAIS stuff, and they didnt seem to know exactly what was going on , or what i was talking about.

So I had another look, and found there are other places in Sydney that can supply these also , So as they say in the classics, the search continues.!

• 7 months later...

Did it myself... pretty easy on a 2009 model. Don't think it'll be any different on a previous model either. I'd allow for an hour maximum if it's your first time doing it. I could install it in < 10 mins if I had all of the tools in front of me.

Hi Atlantis,

Did it myself... pretty easy on a 2009 model. Don't think it'll be any different on a previous model either. I'd allow for an hour maximum if it's your first time doing it. I could install it in < 10 mins if I had all of the tools in front of me.

I'm considering "improving" on the integration that I've got in my 2008SL for iPod connectivity. The existing system connects via the AUX port in the centre console and isn't very good (I can hear buzzing/interference and I can't control the iPod), so I'd like know how well integrated you consider the VAIS units? It seems that there are two units available, so I don't know which one would be better for the SL (price tells me that the SL2Vi should be better) ...?

1. http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/index.php/products/store/details/79/7/ipod-and-mp3-integration/vais-soundlinq-sl2i-up?manufacturer_id=13

2. http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/index.php/products/store/details/80/7/ipod-and-mp3-integration/vais-soundlinq-sl2vi?manufacturer_id=13

I know that you did the installation yourself ... did you look into getting someone else to do it for you..? I see that it costs about $150 for installation, so it makes the total cost between $550 - $750 depending on model. I find that to be quite pricey, unless of course the unit is bullet proof and gives great sound :) How do you rate the value you got out of it..?

Cheers,

David

hello, Atlantis

thanks for the reply. That's positive and good paving the way for the rest of us.

like mister_david, i have also been using the AUX. Sound quality is good to me and doesn't bother me but

since the integration is possible and we can DIY, i might look into it further.

Okay guys... I got the SL2i UP model, as I didn't care about the video capability at the time. I'm not regretting it either, as I've had video in another car before and certainly don't miss it.

The VAIS unit integrates so well, you'd think it was a factory installation.

Sound quality is absolutely perfect without any form of distortion whatsoever.

The iPod/iPhone can be completely controlled by either the head unit or steering wheel controls.

The unit comes up as a 2nd CD/MD stacker according to the head unit, but allows for full browsing (high speed) of all playlists, artists, genres etc.

You lose zero functionality of the factory system (unless you have the external CD stacker option, which I'm not even sure was available in Australia)

I like to do everything myself, so I didn't even consider looking into someone else doing it for me. I've been installing car stereos for nearly 15 years now, so very little baffles me these days.

Whereabouts are you located David? I'll install it for $50 if you like :)

I use the unit EVERY time I am in the car. I rarely listen to the radio unless there is a traffic jam somewhere, and never use the inbuilt CD stacker.

I would give every rating for the unit 10/10. I really can't fault it.

Hi Atlantis,

Okay guys... I got the SL2i UP model, as I didn't care about the video capability at the time. I'm not regretting it either, as I've had video in another car before and certainly don't miss it.

I'm with you on this - I had a TV on my previous car and I've not missed it all.

I like to do everything myself, so I didn't even consider looking into someone else doing it for me. I've been installing car stereos for nearly 15 years now, so very little baffles me these days.

I'm in Melbourne and quite happy to accept your offer if Melbourne is your home town too! And in case you're not, I took a look at the installation manual, and it does seem quite simple - I just don't know how I'd actually get access to the rear of the head unit to plug it in. Did you end up putting the VAIS in the glovebox or the centre console? I've got my iPod in the console atm, but that's only because I can't control it, so I don't mind (and would prefer) to put it into the glovebox.

One other question, which emulation mode did you put the unit into? I see that its possible to use MD or CD or CD-MP3 modes, but as to which one is best, I'm not able to determine (I guess its based on preferences..?).

I'll probably go ahead with the purchase and see if I can locate someone in Melbourne who can install these things. Getting it through eBay is likely to save $150 off the cost of buying it here so that should help cover the installation charges!

Thanks again for your help :)

Cheers,

David

I'm in Melbourne and quite happy to accept your offer if Melbourne is your home town too! And in case you're not, I took a look at the installation manual, and it does seem quite simple - I just don't know how I'd actually get access to the rear of the head unit to plug it in. Did you end up putting the VAIS in the glovebox or the centre console? I've got my iPod in the console atm, but that's only because I can't control it, so I don't mind (and would prefer) to put it into the glovebox.

One other question, which emulation mode did you put the unit into? I see that its possible to use MD or CD or CD-MP3 modes, but as to which one is best, I'm not able to determine (I guess its based on preferences..?).

There are instructions all over the place on how to remove the head unit. Basically, remove the vents above the EMV, remove the gear lever surrounds, then you'll be presented with 4 10mm bolts that allow for removal.

The VAIS hardware sits next to the gear lever as there is plenty of space under there. The cable then runs around the back of the dash and pops out in the glove box. There is no cutting or drilling required (at least on an '09 model) to achieve this.

I leave my iPod in the glovebox all the time, only removing it to update music. It's nice and hidden, and gives me a bit more room in the centre console which I use more frequently.

I'm sure you could install it into the console if you wish, but it may require cutting, as I don't recall any holes you could poke the cable through.

MD emulation is what you want to use. It supports playlists up to 999 tracks, whereas CD emulation only supports 99 tracks.

Hello, David

that sounds good! thanks in advance. I will let you know if i do go down this path with the VAIS.

I am looking around a few other sites for an ipod connector that links into the AUX port.

Hi Atlantis,

There are instructions all over the place on how to remove the head unit. Basically, remove the vents above the EMV, remove the gear lever surrounds, then you'll be presented with 4 10mm bolts that allow for removal.

I recalled that there were some instructions on hacking the DVD unit .. only took me a minute to find them :) I should be able to to follow these.

The VAIS hardware sits next to the gear lever as there is plenty of space under there. The cable then runs around the back of the dash and pops out in the glove box. There is no cutting or drilling required (at least on an '09 model) to achieve this.

I hadn't thought to put it near the gear lever - thanks! The part about where the cable runs is going to be the challenge for me. Not being an old hand at this, I don't an intuitive feel for where this would go :)

MD emulation is what you want to use. It supports playlists up to 999 tracks, whereas CD emulation only supports 99 tracks.

Sweet - thanks for the tip. I also noticed in the instruction manual that it automatically gets rid of that annoying message about the navigation that I currently have to manually clear every time I start the car. I almost think its worth the $250 just to get rid of that - the fact that you get the iPhone/iPod integration on top is a bonus!

Cheers,

David

i've been in atlantis' car and i thought it was stock

i love how it press' "i agree" on the nav screen for you after 3 seconds

and also how fast it was, and the ease of use

im thinking of getting one later on, as funds wont allow me to get one just yet, hahaha

Not sure if its that simple. I've seen one fitted that played both iPod & USB but didn't work or display 100% but after a second attempt and a bit of fiddling by the installer it worked perfect.

Go on Jom, you know you want one.

I know I do want one! :)

I didn't know what it was called before only just that it exists. I might try that Nam guy.

I hired a Hyundai once and the USB integration was a standard feature on base model!

It really is easy - it only has two leads one from back of OEM head unit to interface box and one from the box to iPod cable. The emulation I had problems with wasn't too hard to fix with help. No need to fiddle with the iPod while in the glove box all controlled from touch screen or steering wheel.

Do you have the VAIS one? How does it work - Does it utalise a 2nd CD changer option when switching between different media? I have a non EMV model but it said to still be compatible.

The Vaistech emulates a CD changer. The only thing with it is that you have to use iTunes to stack your songs in a logical manner for the unit to read. i.e. a playlist is seen as an album or whole disc. The songs have to be a subfolder of that. I'm the guy who had a key role in introducing the Vaistech unit to Melbourne Lexus dealers.

Hi All

I am wanting to introduce ipod integration to my Is

Can you tell me the correct part number and brand and also, the best and cheapest place to purchase one. I am in Canberra but it doesn't matter where it is.

Many thanks

Cecil

• 2 weeks later...

The VAIS unit integrates so well, you'd think it was a factory installation.

Sound quality is absolutely perfect without any form of distortion whatsoever.

The iPod/iPhone can be completely controlled by either the head unit or steering wheel controls.

The unit comes up as a 2nd CD/MD stacker according to the head unit, but allows for full browsing (high speed) of all playlists, artists, genres etc.

You lose zero functionality of the factory system (unless you have the external CD stacker option, which I'm not even sure was available in Australia)

I use the unit EVERY time I am in the car. I rarely listen to the radio unless there is a traffic jam somewhere, and never use the inbuilt CD stacker.

hi Atlantis, are you based in Sydney / Melbourne? Keen to explore the iPod option for my is250 SL.

Cheers

Sam

The unit arrived as promised with the specific lexus patch lead. A few problems with the emulation. For people doing it themselves, the easy way for the emulation to begin is to have the ignition on, the unit in program mode and then connect the unit to the car and bingo:lol:

the beeping starts and away you go.

I mounted the unit by making a bracket and then attached it to the two M6 studs that hang down above the glovebox. This way I could the earth the unit which is what the makers have suggested is the best way. This reduces the chances of earth loops which could cause noise. The glovebox itself needs to be removed to gain access to the studs.

I am totally happy with the product. I have used various aftermarket systems before with ipod controllers fitted, namely Pioneer's AVIC and Eclipses AVN6000 and this is every bit as good if not better for sound quality and ease of use.

I highly recommend it

Purchased from Advanced Ice

Part no SL2i - L

Price, $305 delivered. I have a parts business. I can purchase for you and send it to you if that would save you any money

Cheers

Darren

Great to hear that cecil. I've had nothing but perfect operation with my unit. Best iPod integration I've ever used.

Looks like the price has dropped a little. I think mine was $420 about 12 months ago. Either way, a fantastic unit.

Hi Folks,

I've just recently purchased and installed one of these units. I've never tried doing anything of this nature on my car, but I thought that it seemed reasonably easy to do: I was very wrong about this and would strongly advise the inexperienced against trying it yourself :) I'm very grateful to the help of both Atlantis and Cecil in helping me get through the installation.

However, that said, let me share my experience installing the unit in a 2008 Sports Luxury.

Purchasing

1. I bought mine via eBay, which cost me $250.01 including postage from the US.
  2. Here is a link to the eBay store selling the product -> eBay Store for VAIS Product Note: they sell other stuff - just navigate to the VAIS products using the "VAIS Technology" link on the left panel.
  3. This fellow sells VAIS units for other Lexus/Toyota models
  4. Quite usefully, the site contains the installation manual for each VAIS product that they sell
  5. I downloaded the SL2i-UP installation manual when considering whether I would install the unit myself. I've attached it to this message in case others are interested :)
  6. I found it took 17 business days for the unit to arrive: 2 days longer than the worst case delivery time according to eBay. Not a big deal for me, but useful to know if you're worried about "where is my unit"!

Physical Installation

1. I located the VAIS unit near the gear stick, with the iPod in the glove box.
  2. I found removing the head unit, particularly the removal of the air-vent covers above the head unit, to be pretty difficult. I botched putting the unit back in (I knocked the LHS air vent) and I've decided to get Lexus to fix that. Be very careful with the air vents as they are fiddly and easily come apart!
  3. Unless you are prepared to disconnect all the cables to the head unit (I wasn't),the head unit will only move about 1" clear of the dashboard, which makes it really hard to figure out which cable you have to disconnect to install the "Y" adapter that supplies the VAIS unit with power/control.
  4. The diagrams suggest that the cable to disconnect from the head unit (so that you can install the Y adapter) is at the rear of top left corner, however it is in fact at the bottom right side.
  5. Getting the cable to the iPod by running it behind the dash board was really hard, complicated by the fact that the head unit can't be moved to far from the dashboard, and the gear stick lever sits exactly where you'd want to place the head unit.
  6. The result of (5) is that you have to perform a delicate balancing act with the head unit on the gear stick lever while trying to get behind the dashboard. It took two of us to do this.
  7. Tip: we used a torch that we shined through the slit at the rear of the glove box to work out which gap in the rear of the dashboard we should be poking the cable for the iPod.
  8. Suggestion: Cecil told me that he removed the glovebox - this may make the process of threading the cable easier. I just wasn't game to try that!
  9. After threading the iPod cable behind the dashboard, I encountered another problem with getting the other end of the cable to the VAIS box: it has a large rectangular box on the cable, which prevented me from threading it through a gap underneath the support for the head unit.
  10. I found a very small space (sufficient for a cable) underneath the head unit, so I was able to place the iPod cable there ... and there was sufficient length in the cable for the rectangular box to sit near the gearstick.

Programming

The instructions in the manual are very misleading - be warned that they do not correctly reflect the process you go through. A couple of the problems that I noticed were:

1. On the physical unit, the dip-switches are marked "ON" (I presume the other position is "OFF", although its not marked as such), but the manual just refers to "UP" and "DOWN".
  2. Nice diagrams in the manual which show switches in the "DOWN" position are the exact opposite of what you want them to be.

Programming the VAIS in CD-MP3 emulation mode:

1. Have the ACC ignition for the car on, but power to the VAIS unit disconnected.
  2. The iPod should be connected to the VAIS unit.
  3. I had both of the dip-switches in the "OFF" position, and then plugged the VAIS unit into the power.
  4. I moved the left hand dip-switch into the "ON" position - it then emitted the long beep, followed by a few short beeps.
  5. I didn't get the confirmation beep until I moved the left hand switch back into the "OFF" position
  6. At this point, you should see something like "VAIS SLi ..." appear on the screen of the car
  7. Turn off the car ignition
  8. Turn on the ignition and you should be ready to go! You should now be able to navigate to the "CD Changer" and there should be six buttons (numbered 1 - 6) across (with the VAIS unit in CD-MP3 Mode)
  9. (Note: in point (4) above, the left hand switch is the one that is closest to the edge of the VAIS box)

Programming the Auto-Confirmation of the Warning Message:

1. The manual seems to imply that this is automatically configured, but it isn't - you have to do this yourself!
  2. The car ignition must be on, and you need to be in the "CD Changer" for this to work. The "CD Changer" is how the VAIS unit appears to the IS250.
  3. You press the "SCAN" button very rapidly in order to put the unit into "SIMPLE" mode.
  4. According to the manual, a message supposedly comes on the screen to which you respond: in my experience this didn't show up ... the display just changed the name of the Folder (to "VAIS SLi ..." ) and the File (to "Firmware 4.5")
  5. I pressed and held the "RAND" button until I head a long beep, which I assume to mean that the program had been accepted (i.e. Auto-Confirm was turned on)
  6. At this point the display appeared to get stuck .. nothing I could do would take the VAIS out of "SIMPLE" mode.
  7. What appeared to work, was to turn off the ignition and pull the power from the VAIS unit.
  8. I then reconnected the power, turned on the ACC ignition and navigated to the "CD Changer".
  9. With the display still in "SIMPLE" mode, I rapidly pressed the "SCAN" button until I heard a beep. This took it out of "SIMPLE" mode, but the display was still showing as per step (4) above.
  10. I then pressed one of the other buttons from 1 - 6 and the display refreshed itself and cleared the name of the VAIS unit.

Operation

Some observations on the operation of the unit:

• I have found the sound to be much better than the arrangement I had via the AUX port.
  • I have used an old 16GB iPhone as my iPod: every time I start the car the iPhone gives a warning message about the VAIS unit not being optimised for the iPhone. I don't care about the message as I don't see it (the iPhone is in the glove box).
  • The "Folder" button is not selectable when the car is moving: the folder button effectively allows me to select the name of the album I want to play. Workaround: select the "Next" button to scroll through the albums one at a time (tedious).
  • When answering a telephone call (via a bluetooth connected phone), the music will resume at the point at which the call came through.
  • When making a telephone call (via bluetooth connected phone), the music won't resume - it goes back to the start of the track.
  • Turning off/on the ignition the music won't resume - it goes back to the start of the track that was last playing when you turned off the car.

For my part, it'd be great to select how you wanted the unit to behave (resume/restart) when making calls and/or turning off the car. I'm aware that the limitation on the Folder button is likely due to Lexus disabling certain features while driving, so to be fair, I don't believe its a limitation of the VAIS product ... maybe it would work for those who'd "fixed" this problem for their SatNav...?

Apologies for the length of this post, but it should give others who want to take on the installation an idea as to how to get the job done! As I said above, I could not have managed this without the help of both Atlantis and Cecil - thanks again guys!

Cheers,

David

Manual_SL2i_v444.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am new to this forum :)

Has anyone installed a VAIS MultiMediaLinQ VML this is a link to the unit

Is Advancedice the best /only place to get this unit locally ? Otherwise i can source it from the U.S.

Also can anyone recommend a good installer ? or would anyone on the forum like to do it ..for a fee of course ;)

I also want to modd the SAT-Nav and phone so i can use it while moving.

Lexus dealers are just too expensive, so any advice would be great

Thanks,

Hem