I will have my 45k service due in a few months and I'm wondering when everyone has had to change their brake pads?

I do not ride my brakes hard and use the gears as often as I can to slow the car down. They said last service there was still plenty of life; but with mechanics you never know if they pull the old 'You need 4 new brakes or tyres' etc... without actually knowing if this is true.

From your experience, when have you had to have the brakes replaced or when I should I expect to get new pads?

I will have my 45k service due in a few months and I'm wondering when everyone has had to change their brake pads?

I do not ride my brakes hard and use the gears as often as I can to slow the car down. They said last service there was still plenty of life; but with mechanics you never know if they pull the old 'You need 4 new brakes or tyres' etc... without actually knowing if this is true.

From your experience, when have you had to have the brakes replaced or when I should I expect to get new pads?

My discs and pads were changed at 50,000km

My front brake pads were replaced at 60,000kms (had about 5,000km left on them). The technician said that was above average - typical for the front pads is about 50k. For memory $280 for Lexus to supply and fit (during scheduled service). Rotors did not need machining. Rear brakes have not yet been replaced (now at 65k). I'm not much of a 'brake rider' either and will use to gears to assist a little in deceleration too from time to time.

I'd say that at the 45k service is most common for city driving. The worst I've heard is just after 30k.

The best I've heard was a guy that got just over 70k not just from the brakes but also first set of tires. All freeway driving.

So 50k & 60k you're both doing well.

Someone told me the original pads are very hard and wears out the discs easily. My car is at 27K and i'm looking at the edges of the diss and they are quite worn.

I'd say that at the 45k service is most common for city driving. The worst I've heard is just after 30k.

At my 30K service I got told my fronts are 50% worn and next service a rotor and pad change would be needed. So ~50K-60K sounds about right.

When mine comes to be replaced, I'm wont be going OEM but rather slotted discs and possible ceramic pads. I know the guys in the states have them.

OEM pads dust up too quickly but they do work really well though.

I've done probably 60/40 freeway/city driving and would hope to extend the life out to the 60km service. Here's hoping anyway. Tyres are looking really good too, may not need to change them for a while.