Hi guys,

I'm a new member to this forum and just purchased my 07 IS250 Prestige last week from Private.

The situation is:

Rego: Expired and it's from VIC so I need to get Blue Slip and registration here in Sydney (NSW)

Went to a local blue slip mechy and he failed me for two items,

1) Tyres on the front wheels are worn and need replacement, and rear right tyre is still in ok (pass) condition but may need new one soon.

2) window tint on the front passenger and driver window. He mentioned it's too dark and removal is required.

My thoughts are:

Rather than spending 600+ on 3 tyres, I'd rather get new 18" rims and tyres in package. They cost around 1300 at Tempe tyres (sydney). Can you guys tell me what tyre specs will be accepted for 18" wheels? I remembered mechy told me i can go as big as 19 but the width cant exceed 8. I'm not familiar with his terms and am a bit confused by all the tyre specs listed online and tyre catalogue.

As for the Tint, I had a look at my mates 20% and mine seems a bit darker than his. Given IS 250 has a stock 7% tint finish on windows. So it would explain the darker appearance? The question now is, will I be able to find another mechy that will pass the tint for blue slip or should i get it removed for the inspection purpose and then put on again.

Thanks guys for your inputs!

lexus stock tint is approx 35% (legal)

You could take it to another mechanic with the windows down lol. if its lower then 20% you may have some dramas where ever you go. BUT there are "places" to get it done.

Rather than spending 600+ on 3 tyres, I'd rather get new 18" rims and tyres in package. They cost around 1300 at Tempe tyres (sydney). Can you guys tell me what tyre specs will be accepted for 18" wheels? I remembered mechy told me i can go as big as 19 but the width cant exceed 8. I'm not familiar with his terms and am a bit confused by all the tyre specs listed online and tyre catalogue.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf is handy. If you go anything bigger than what is on the tyre placard, it's a good idea to print that PDF out and keep it in the glovebox with your vehicle manuals. Has saved my ass on my last car with overzealous officers questioning my wheel fitment.

The info you're looking for I think is this: "Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA."

One thing I strongly advise you to check and re-check is the load ratings for the tyres being fitted... The new tyres must meet or exceed the existing load ratings. You don't want a blowout or insurance claim denied for an unroadworthy vehicle!

thanks guys for the advice.

I've changed my wheels to 18" with 225/40/R18 tyres and they look great. Also happy cos they passed blue slip inspection.

Regarding the tints, it's passed too. *thank god this guy is cool* But honestly the tints are darker if you look at it under direct sun light and dark interior. but my interior is light grey and I've always got my sunroof shade cover opened so it's still seethrough.

I found that the tints are lighter IF you check it in a cloudy day.... also due to lighting angles too..

all that said... happy ending... dont need to remove tints (and subsequently reapply them)

will post pic later... cant wait to join the Lexus Cruise...

BTW.. i noticed a squeaky noise when braking at low speed. It's a common problem for 07 model? It's still under warranty so Lexus should/can replace for free?

Good to hear... But you need to post up some photos!!!

While I haven't got tints on my car, other guys at work who have IS250's have, and theirs also look a lot darker than legal under certain conditions, while actually being 100% legal. It'll depend a lot on the properties of the film used too.

As for the brake squeal, if it's under warranty, take it in! You'll get a complimentary courtesy car while yours is under the knife so there's no significant inconvenience to you..

Hey OT, this is the pic i took at Bob Jane while waiting for wheel alignment to be done. Tyres are Bob Jane's brand Maxi tyres... 225/40/R18 xxW ( i forgot what the figures are for xx).

Are they gd tyres?

new%20wheel.JPG

Another question (probably noobie question as well) is that the headlights arent level when projected on to the wall.. You can see in below pic. I was pretty evenly position against the wall ahead and the wall is flat surface too... Is this normal?

Light.JPG

Noticed there are a few white led lights in the cabin at night. one near the sunroof switch, and also another one at both driver and passenger feet. Can they be switched off when driving?

Hey OT, this is the pic i took at Bob Jane while waiting for wheel alignment to be done. Tyres are Bob Jane's brand Maxi tyres... 225/40/R18 xxW ( i forgot what the figures are for xx).

Are they gd tyres?

From what i see Bob Jane don't make an 18" tyre in their branded models, I'm guessing you mean Maxxis? What model? You need more information... Google the brand and model name and you might find some reviews.

Another question (probably noobie question as well) is that the headlights arent level when projected on to the wall.. You can see in below pic. I was pretty evenly position against the wall ahead and the wall is flat surface too... Is this normal?

Noticed there are a few white led lights in the cabin at night. one near the sunroof switch, and also another one at both driver and passenger feet. Can they be switched off when driving?

Yup thats normal.

There's a knob to the right of the steering wheel that can dim the interior lights and when it goes down to the minimum range (at least on my 08) it turns them off.

and dont go to tempe get some decent wheels

Why do you say this ilv0004s?

I've never bought anything from them so I'm not vouching for them but wondering why you have canned them.

ther quality of the wheels they sell in question

also redrilling wheels to suit the studs

many things iv seen and heard about them

They have wheels that have set PCDs like any other places. They told buyers of the PCDs and if buyers still wanted the wheels, then they'll honour the buyer's request by making the wheels fit. It's up to the buyer. As for quality, does it mean if you run over potholes and it cracks as appose to "exepensive quality" ones that don't. Or does it mean the alloy paint peels off over a period of time. Unless you drive a GTR which you track or just fang around streets heaps (as you would do in a GTR), i doubt quaility is of a concern...atleast for normal road driving. Tempe Tyres, BigOTyres, OzzyTyres, TopTen Tyres etc are all the same. Some Bob Jane, Jaxx etc get their wheels from one of these places.

I too have issues with tempe. Big o. Ozzy tyres. The issues are workman ship and qualifications of the workers.

And as for the managers attitudes ....... Any sale means money no matter the bodgyness.

Btw. I do not believe bob jane or jaxx would ever get wheels from any one but thier suppliers (ie not tempe)

And why would a buyer want a PCD that isnt for thier car.

And ive heard of a few instances of wheels not fitting properly from tempe. The customer wouldnt acept the wrong pcd if they werent convinced that it will be "ok". When in actual fact its bodgy. And not "ok"

I have personally experienced workmanship and customer service at BigO during my Honda years. The guy that dropped my Lude bent over backwards to get it done and my lude had complications which took him 3 hours to drop my car (they usually do it in less than 1 hour easy). The manager came out every 10mins to ask how the car was and how i was with the wait. They normally close at 12pm, my car was completed at 2pm.

As for Bob Jane/Jaxx etc (i won't say who and where), i was there for a suspension check and I saw a OzzyTyes pick up truck delivered a truck load of wheels. Franchisees what more to say about them.

My wheels RS4 replicas (or whatever the name is) with different PCDs to the IS, They say it was wrong PCDs and told me to consider and the fact that the holes will need to be sanded to fit. They gave me the facts before asking if i wanted to proceed. They didn't convince me or try and talk me into anything. It was totally my choice (the customer).

Truth of the matter is this, everyone have a different story about these places. Ultimately it boils down to the individual who services the car, wouldn't be fair or accurate to say over a period of 20 years or so BigO, Ozzie, Tempe they all have the same dodgy dudes who work there. People come and go, wheels designes changes etc can't say don't go there or here. What you can probably say is you get what you pay for.

They have wheels that have set PCDs like any other places. They told buyers of the PCDs and if buyers still wanted the wheels, then they'll honour the buyer's request by making the wheels fit. It's up to the buyer. As for quality, does it mean if you run over potholes and it cracks as appose to "exepensive quality" ones that don't. Or does it mean the alloy paint peels off over a period of time. Unless you drive a GTR which you track or just fang around streets heaps (as you would do in a GTR), i doubt quaility is of a concern...atleast for normal road driving. Tempe Tyres, BigOTyres, OzzyTyres, TopTen Tyres etc are all the same. Some Bob Jane, Jaxx etc get their wheels from one of these places.

i think project IS (denis can shed a light on that)

he got some cheap rims

hit/curbed a gutter

the whole rim fell apart

it cracked virtical from the outeredge to the inner

looks like it got hit by a big sledge hammer