Howto: Access The Secret Diagnostics Menu

TESTED ON: 2007 IS250 Sports with enhancement pack

SUCCESFUL/FAIL: Success

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: easy

INTRODUCTION

There is a hidden diagnostics menu available in the entertainment/navigation system that lets you play with all sorts of weird and wonderful items. Of the most interest (to me, at least) was the ability to switch on the reverse parking camera while driving normally.

WARNING: As I'm uncertain of their purpose, I strongly recommend you avoid the "memory" functions available in this area. Alternatively, if you know what they do, please add an update to this topic.

STEPS

1. Hold down the INFO button (to the left of the screen)

2. Whilst holding the button turn the lights from off to on (not auto) and back to off 4 times until the menu appears

To access the reverse camera, press the MENU option at the top right of the screen and select the CAMERA CHECK option. To exit the diagnostics screen, press and hold the DISPLAY button until the system reboots (you'll get the "I Agree" screen again). See attached photos below.

DIAGNOSTICS MAIN SCREEN: post-2651-1218711479_thumb.jpg

DIAGNOSTICS MENU: post-2651-1218711495_thumb.jpg

This is actually really cool.

Cevu, to answer your question, you run some of these setup routines whilst the car is in motion. (Well in drive anyway).

Whilst your driving, and obviously still watch the road, you can enter the diag mode via the method outlined. Once in, select the the camera option, and then you will see the rear view image. This is 3 or 4 part setup for the guidance/steering setup.

The GPS test is pretty cool as well!

don't by any chance know how to get camera on full time do you? i've searched other forums with no luck.

Working on it. From what I've found out so far, you'll possibly have to wire in an additional switch for it.

Yeh, its the video hijack hack. Simple wiring hack. A guy in the states has made up a nice simple circuit incorporating a relay and a switch. I have the PDf doc of this if any wants it! This is the hack that I spoke of while ago where if you didn't want to use the camera signal, U could feed an aux feed in. Hence the relay comes in to switch between the two!

Let us know!!

• 4 weeks later...

Gents (and Ladies if there are some, but i dont know :) )

Here is another secret menu:

When you bring up the diagnostics menu (by holding the info button and turning on and off the lights), on that screen press the top left corner and then the bottom right corner. Another menu shows up that has a whole heap of things, one of particular interest is the check sum values. Now if there are some programming heads out there i believe this could be something worth looking into, come on guys put your thinking caps on. I downloaded an disassembler but i wouldnt know where to start....

Raoul

When you bring up the diagnostics menu (by holding the info button and turning on and off the lights), on that screen press the top left corner and then the bottom right corner. Another menu shows up that has a whole heap of things, one of particular interest is the check sum values. Now if there are some programming heads out there i believe this could be something worth looking into, come on guys put your thinking caps on. I downloaded an disassembler but i wouldnt know where to start....

Raoul

Well done finding the menu, haven't had a close look at it yet, but I will in the morning. Where did ya find it?? CL??

Raoul

Well done finding the menu, haven't had a close look at it yet, but I will in the morning. Where did ya find it?? CL??

I cant actually remembere where, i dont thing it was CL, i think toyota forum....

• 1 year later...

STEPS

2. Whilst holding the button turn the lights from off to on (not auto) and back to off 4 times until the menu appears

To access the reverse camera, press the MENU option at the top right of the screen and select the CAMERA CHECK option. To exit the diagnostics screen, press and hold the DISPLAY button until the system reboots (you'll get the "I Agree" screen again).

The process for accessing the reverse camera in my '09 Upgrade IS250 Prestige is slightly different. The following process will presumably work for all MY10 vehicles and MY09 vehicles with the '09 upgrade:

After After Step 2 above, two menu options will appear. Then:

3. Choose the second of the two menu options. You will now see another menu with numerous options.

4. Choose the menu item that refers to the camera (“Camera Check” or similar words). You will see a low-resolution menu, again with two options. (Note: This menu is not accessible in ACCESSORY mode.)

5. Choose the second of the two menu options, but press and HOLD the button until you see the screen change. You will see a camera diagnostics screen.

6. Choose the Next button on the bottom right-hand corner. You will see the video image from the camera, plus a number of buttons to allow you to adjust the guidance lines.

Since much of the video image initially shown is obscured with buttons, and it’s risky to leave this screen open, press the NEXT button in the bottom right-hand corner. You will see the video image from the camera, together with the guidance lines and just a couple of buttons on the bottom. You will now be able to drive around while continuing to view the video image on the screen.

To access the camera with one less step/screen:

1. While the engine is running, press and hold DISP (instead of INFO).

2. Whilst holding the button turn the lights from off to on (not auto) and back to off 4 times until a diagnostics screen appears.

3. Press the “Camera Check” button on the top right-hand corner of the screen. You will see a low-resolution menu with two options.

5. Follow steps 5 and 6 as above.

A number of people on the Internet have said that changing the Bluetooth mic sensitivity (accessible through the first method) works really well.

• 6 months later...

INTRODUCTION

There is a hidden diagnostics menu available in the entertainment/navigation system that lets you play with all sorts of weird and wonderful items. Of the most interest (to me, at least) was the ability to switch on the reverse parking camera while driving normally.

WARNING: As I'm uncertain of their purpose, I strongly recommend you avoid the "memory" functions available in this area. Alternatively, if you know what they do, please add an update to this topic.

STEPS

To access the reverse camera, press the MENU option at the top right of the screen and select the CAMERA CHECK option. To exit the diagnostics screen, press and hold the DISPLAY button until the system reboots (you'll get the "I Agree" screen again). See attached photos below.

Hi, after checking out the 'camera check' option, i seem to not have that reverse camera parking guide line anymore. Would you know what to do to get that back? :(

Hi, after checking out the 'camera check' option, i seem to not have that reverse camera parking guide line anymore. Would you know what to do to get that back? :(

There are several guide line modes to choose from - I suspect that going into the 'Camera Check' option has reset the the mode to something you don't normally see. Have you tried pressing the buttons on the bottom left and right hand sides of the screen until you see the lines you prefer to see?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

INTRODUCTION

STEPS

Hello, I am a new member to the forum, which I found while trying to find a solution to accessing the rear camera. I have followed the above directions and am able to access the secret menu; however, the button "CAMERA CHECK" is disabled.

My details are:

2007 IS250 AWD

Rear camera works as normal when in reverse

I am in the US-- would this be a reason? I have searched but it seems the only detailed info on the secret menus or camera hacks is on this forum. However, this forum is great and it seems a great community. As I have just gotten the vehicle last week, I am eager to dig through this forum and discover new possibilities with the IS250.

Thank you for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am a new member to the forum, which I found while trying to find a solution to accessing the rear camera. I have followed the above directions and am able to access the secret menu; however, the button "CAMERA CHECK" is disabled.

My details are:

2007 IS250 AWD

Rear camera works as normal when in reverse

I am in the US-- would this be a reason? I have searched but it seems the only detailed info on the secret menus or camera hacks is on this forum. However, this forum is great and it seems a great community. As I have just gotten the vehicle last week, I am eager to dig through this forum and discover new possibilities with the IS250.

Thank you for your time.

Hi Nem,

It's been a while since I played around with this feature, and I'm nowhere near my car right now. But I vaguely recall encountering the same issue.

If the engine is switched off, make sure you start it before accessing the menu. If the engine is already running, try changing into reverse gear.

• 2 years later...

You dont need to access the secret diag menu for that. Do the other hack ( volume menu-> top left, bottom left x 2) and you can use nav whilst driving.
Although I think if you updated the dvd version, it gets rid of it, but you can make a hybrid disc but thats another story.

• Like 1

You dont need to access the secret diag menu for that. Do the other hack ( volume menu-> top left, bottom left x 2) and you can use nav whilst driving.

Although I think if you updated the dvd version, it gets rid of it, but you can make a hybrid disc but thats another story.

If I can do this, can you please tell me how, sorry I didn't understand your last message

This only works for 05-06 models I think. Newer models can't do this - you'll need a bypass switch.