FOR SALE - ISF DIFF (non LSD)

Sparky

So i have finally managed to secure a ISF diff, with mechanical LSD as per factory.. YAY!

As such i will be selling the old diff from my car. Its had approx 90,000kms, and performs fine. Only reason for sale is that i wanted an LSD.

Asking $1,500 OBO, maybe for those who want an aftermarket LSD centre and need a donor diff etc. so they aren't without a ride. Ill pop in on eBay as well.

Call for any questions, 0433 one 46 one 46

Ha! No, ill be saving the pennies for the supercharger kit (several years time). Think i'll hold onto this car for the long term as a weekender maybe.

That's good news that you have found a torsen diff.    the ISF is a great fun vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Sparky said:

It was mate haha! The old persistence, "be like the rock in the stream" haha!

Its in and I'm having an absolute hoot!

That much difference for our cars.  So the flashing traction light doesnt pop up as often anymore?

It does pop up, but the power never drops anymore, the diff sorts it out without power retardation and brakes being involved.

Its honestly night and day, little "squirts" from traffic lights, tight turning, going up hills on angles etc, all used to spin the inside tyre then after a bit the brake would grab and the car would lurch off amidst power drops and sometimes snap oversteer. Now its a split instant (if anything) and no dramas at all, it just gets going. Also, when really getting into it out of a flowing corner, the inside tyre would slip and upset the balance of the car, it felt like the body was rolling, the traction light comes on, power and revs were artificially dropped, then it would sort itself out.. You felt like the car was on edge.

Now, it just stays balanced, and powers out. Its much more predictable, faster, and safer, so much better in fact that i cant fathom how it was released from the factory without it. If the car had launched from factory in 2008 with a LSD im sure it would have been received MUCH better by the market and journos, and would have been much more popular instead of the unknown gem it realistically is. I can only imagine how good a proper "OS Giken" centre would be in our diff, which from what i have read is far superior than the mechanical torsen. Someone should buy my old diff, and put the OS into it, that way no downtime without a car!!

The power gets put down to the ground almost instantly, much more traction in 99% of situations, but then when you want to be a hooligan its BLOODY AWESOME!! I knew i was going to love going properly sideways again after having LSD cars previously, but am so so happy. Probably the best mod i have done to the car for overall performance and enjoyment.

• Like 1

Damn that does sound good.  Ah well, committed to headers for now and im sure i need them with the ticking noise im getting.  

In due time, it will have to be my next mod.  I cant keep chasing HP without grip to match lol

I have the tune, widened primaries (cheap header alternative) full cat back and intake pipe, so the power is there. but just couldn't get it to the ground! And importantly, couldnt get properly sideways when i wanted to.

Both these issues have been thoroughly resolved haha!

I actually think i have leaking primaries as well, but cant stomach the header cost right now, the group buy was a great price though.

23 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I have the tune, widened primaries (cheap header alternative) full cat back and intake pipe, so the power is there. but just couldn't get it to the ground! And importantly, couldnt get properly sideways when i wanted to.

Both these issues have been thoroughly resolved haha!

I actually think i have leaking primaries as well, but cant stomach the header cost right now, the group buy was a great price though.

Yeah ive got similar mods to you.  I got the widened flange trick as per your advice lol.  Always wanted headers as its such a known power gain but like you said, the cost is crazy however few weeks heard the tapping and its on the passenger side (which apparently is the side that typically has the leak) etc.  So it was good timing with the group buy.  I have contacted about 4-5 workshops regarding install costs which ranged from $500 to $1200 with varying advice.

Also as the Xforce has not cats, ill need to purchase 2 x hi flow ones as i dont want the smell, possible fines etc associated with going catless so when you add it all up its about 3.5-4k.  Definitely not a cheap quick mod but didnt see many other choices really.  Buy OEM headers with the same flaw design, pay for labour to fix what i got but who knows if another leak surfaces or just get PPE's and be done with it.  They wont leak if installed right etc.  Here i was thinking the car was going to remain 100% stock lol.

My tyres also needs replacing next few months or so.  You can imagine my traction issues right now, i regularly see the traction light on with minimal effort lol

Yup same boat as me, would have got exxy!! Im just trying to live with the smell for now, and slight ticking when the engine is cold, passenger side.

Well, i will say im definitely jealous, headers would finish off the car..

Long term i think ill get a carbon bonnet and boot in time, spare out, change front seats for some racing seats (2 inches more headroom), rear seats out (is that legal in NSW?) and then make it a weekend / rally weapon. Im pretty average on the track, but i bloody love it. Also like the idea of buying a supercharger etc, but i already dont get the most out of the power due to lack of skill so probably dont need to haha!

Hey just curious if you wouldnt mind letting me know the cost of LSD, install etc.  Could you PM me if thats ok unless willing to share here.

Im sure once i get the PPE's, my lack of traction will only be more profound so realistically i might become more active in trying to source a LSD or what my options are but at this stage i havent researched it so no idea what kind of outlay im looking at.

Any info greatly appreciated

You should be able to pick up a LSD diff from a wrecker for around the $1,500 - $2,500 mark, depending on age and km etc, and it will take about 3hrs to install. At Lexus rates thats $450.

The wreckers sell all the diffs from the IS-F for the same price, $1,500 - $2,500 regardless if it is LSD or not. Both seem to sell.. Mine is still for sale, would be open to any offers to people who want to put an aftermarket centre in a non-LSD diff.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up selling for $1,200 cash, and got the new / reconditioned LSD for $2,000. So not bad to swap out for a LSD diff for $800!!!!

Took me long enough though haha, but worth the wait!

3 hours ago, Sparky said:

Ended up selling for $1,200 cash, and got the new / reconditioned LSD for $2,000. So not bad to swap out for a LSD diff for $800!!!!

Took me long enough though haha, but worth the wait!

cant complain with that.  Thought you'd be stuck with the non LSD for a while as not many ISFs going around.  Good cash and you get some storage space back and now enjoying your new LSD, cant complain.  Im sure youre releieved now its all done (thats when the patience pays off)

• 3 months later...
On 16/08/2017 at 1:15 PM, BLK ISF said:

cant complain with that.  Thought you'd be stuck with the non LSD for a while as not many ISFs going around.  Good cash and you get some storage space back and now enjoying your new LSD, cant complain.  Im sure youre releieved now its all done (thats when the patience pays off)

wish i knew i was looking for a diff for a few weeks finally found one from a ls460 fit straight into my isf ..i’m aware that i’m the first to blow up a diff in australia (non lsd ) 

The bloke i bought my LSD off blew it (he blew it, i bought reconditioned, never used) by doing a monster slide on a car cruise, and hitting a pothole. One tyre went in mid 60kph drift haha! BANG!

Can just picture it.. From feeling like a hero to a zero in a blink!

• Like 1

Forums

News

Membership