Hi all

Have a 2008 SL and got a recall letter regarding the fuel lines etc. Anybody else got one of these? When I bought the car in March this year, I wrote to Lexus to ask if there was any outstanding recalls on the model, was told nadda.

Also was thinking of doing an oil change myself at some stage later down the track, I have two questions

1 where to buy lexus/toyota filters

2 how many litres of oil does the 250 take with filter change.

Thought I'd share some niggles with the car ( love it btw!)

DVD player doesn't work. Tried it while parked, can hear sound but no video. Slight rattle centre of dashboard and slightly jerky transmission, seems to hang on some middle gears a tad bit longer.

Sorry guys, first real post and wrote a lot:P

Cheers

Jeff

hi, there

1) Oil filter can be purchased from repco. Its model is 2664P and should cost you about $32 (Lexus will sell it for a few folds). Both the Lexus and repco ones are similar in that they are made out of some sort of paper material which you replace at each oil change

2) IS 250 takes up 6.5 litres of 5w30 oil.

Not sure if Lexus dealers put in fully synthetic (as I have enquired with the service rep and it's either he was clueless or did not want to disclose anything) but ours runs on mobil 1 fully synthetic oil.

For our recent service (our IS250 just passed its warranty period), I brought the car to my regular performance shop (that is known for thorough workmanship on performance cars) . Car runs as smooth as ever and the cost was about 60% of what Lexus charges.

www.realautoparts.com.au - Find, buy and sell car parts in a few simple clicks!

Hi Gordo

Thanks for the info mate. My car is still under warranty till 01/13 (registered in 01/09). Now that I have this recall will ask about the oil they use and get the DVD/rattle issue looked at as well.

Wonder if anyone else got that recall letter?

Hi Gordo, Have you tried applying the handbrake before watching the DVD. My one only works if you apply the handbrake, if the hand brake isn't applied then there will be sound but no videos.

Answers for the issues not previously addressed by others:

Have a 2008 SL and got a recall letter regarding the fuel lines etc. Anybody else got one of these? When I bought the car in March this year, I wrote to Lexus to ask if there was any outstanding recalls on the model, was told nadda.

Slight rattle centre of dashboard and slightly jerky transmission, seems to hang on some middle gears a tad bit longer.

Yes, others have received the recall letter. This recall was discussed here: http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9948&st=0 I'm not sure why Lexus would tell you the vehicle wasn't subject to any outstanding recalls in March 2011, and then send you the recall letter when that recall was known to Lexus Australia on or before 1 February, 2011.

See your Lexus dealer to have rattles resolved. They will do their best to fix them.

Do you have the MY08 (first series - no indicators on mirrors) or the MY09 (second series - no indicators on mirrors)? Downshifts on the first series are almost double those on the second series (0.8 seconds). I am also advised by ilv1004s that, in S mode, gear changes through the gear knob are faster than on the paddles.

Answers for the issues not previously addressed by others:

Slight rattle centre of dashboard and slightly jerky transmission, seems to hang on some middle gears a tad bit longer.

Yes, others have received the recall letter. This recall was discussed here: http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9948&st=0 I'm not sure why Lexus would tell you the vehicle wasn't subject to any outstanding recalls in March 2011, and then send you the recall letter when that recall was known to Lexus Australia on or before 1 February, 2011.

See your Lexus dealer to have rattles resolved. They will do their best to fix them.

Do you have the MY08 (first series - no indicators on mirrors) or the MY09 (second series - no indicators on mirrors)? Downshifts on the first series are almost double those on the second series (0.8 seconds). I am also advised by ilv1004s that, in S mode, gear changes through the gear knob are faster than on the paddles.

Thanks for the info mate. I normally drive in the "D" mode and it doesn't happen that often, sometimes I might be driving at 80 and the gears will automatically down shift and the tacho will read between 3.5-4k, will stay there for say 2-3 seconds when I press the acc. After that 2 sec delay or so, the Revs drop to normal. Dunno why this happens. Regarding the recall am a bit angry cos after reading on the forum ( as one does;))I wrote to Lexus about it and below is their reply dated 14/04/2011:

Dear Jeff

Thank you for contacting Lexus Australia.

Further to your correspondence regarding the recall on the IS250 re fuel pressure system. Your vehicle's VIN number falls outside the recall range so it is not effected.

However, it appears a Change of Ownership form was not competed for this vehicle as it is still attached to another customer in our records. As you are still entitled to Encore Priviliages, which includes, amongst other benefits, complimentary Road Side assist until 30/1/2013, it would be adventagous for you to complete the attched forms, Change of Ownership form and Encore enrollment form which will allow us to enrole you.

This will also enable us to link your vehicle to your account should we need to contact you in the future.

Please complete your details and return the form to Lexus Customer Assistance Centre by email, fax or post to:

PO BOX 1676

NORTH SYDNEY

NSW 2059

Kind regards,

Maralyn Preedy

Customer Service Assistant

Lexus Customer Assistance Centre

Tel: 1800 023 009

Fax: 1800 684 775

Email: enquiries@lexusenquiries.com.au

I'm doubly mad cos I have a ton of work to be done and now have to get this sorted out when I could have it looked at when I was buying the car ( not a lexus dealer). Well, at least they sent me a recall, not happy but hey I could have found out when I booked my service next month!

Jeff

I normally drive in the "D" mode and it doesn't happen that often, sometimes I might be driving at 80 and the gears will automatically down shift and the tacho will read between 3.5-4k, will stay there for say 2-3 seconds when I press the acc. After that 2 sec delay or so, the Revs drop to normal. Dunno why this happens.

I'm trying to figure out the correct sequence of events. If you're driving up a hill or on a flat road, your foot is already on the accelerator before the downshift takes place. If you're going down a hill, and your foot is not on the accelerator, and the car downshifts when you don't want it to, I guess you're pressing the accelerator because the downshift caused the car to slow down when you didn't want it to, right?

Anyway, here's a couple of possible solutions:

1. Try using PWR mode. It won't necessarily stop unexpected downshifting, but it will cause the transmission to react faster to your foot.

2. Since it's an adaptive transmission, perhaps it's developed this downshifting "habit" from the previous owner? Perhaps the dealer can reset the ECU such that it re-learns your own driving style? (I believe that, over time, it will adapt to your own driving style anyway.) You could discuss it with the dealer on your next service. Personally, I wish mine did that more often and hold a certain speed when going down hills ... mine does that, but only sometimes.

Regarding the recall am a bit angry cos after reading on the forum ( as one does;))I wrote to Lexus about it ... I'm doubly mad cos I have a ton of work to be done and now have to get this sorted out when I could have it looked at when I was buying the car ( not a lexus dealer). Well, at least they sent me a recall, not happy but hey I could have found out when I booked my service next month!

Well, this is the official recall notice on the ACCC Website:

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/999608

If your VIN falls outside the stated numbers, perhaps they expanded the notice beyond the original range, as a precaution?

But I guess it doesn't matter how this confusion came about, as long as Lexus fix it for free, and offer the usual privileges so you don't have to worry about going out of your way to drop off and pick up the car.

Hi Gordo, Have you tried applying the handbrake before watching the DVD. My one only works if you apply the handbrake, if the hand brake isn't applied then there will be sound but no videos.

hello, there

Sorry as I have been away. Ours does not have DVD in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just had my car serviced at Lexus of Adelaide. Absolute pleasure to deal with. They are also fixing the VVTi controllers under warranty and as a loan car had given me a brand new is350.

I must admit going from the 250 to 350, the difference in power is def noticable. Love the acceleration. Have a couple of bug bears though. IMHO the cabin noise was quite noticable. Took the car for a 50K country road trip, and even my wife commented on the noise. It was a prestige model and the cruise control was quite difficult to use compared with our SL. Interior was top notch. Engine noise does come into the cabin a fair bit and so does wind/road noise. I would love to hear anyone elses experience who has compared the 250-350?

Gordo, spoke with the service manager, the oil used was the fully synthetic castrol 5w-30. He said they use it pretty much the same oil in all the petrol engines. He did say that he could not speak for other dealers as they normally use what they get the best deal with:P.

The car was delivered with a very thorough clean and the air con was deodorised as well ( plus chocolate:)). So 45K service with pick up/delivery etc all up late $400 inc GST.

Ta

Hi All

Just had my car serviced at Lexus of Adelaide. Absolute pleasure to deal with. They are also fixing the VVTi controllers under warranty and as a loan car had given me a brand new is350.

I must admit going from the 250 to 350, the difference in power is def noticable. Love the acceleration. Have a couple of bug bears though. IMHO the cabin noise was quite noticable. Took the car for a 50K country road trip, and even my wife commented on the noise. It was a prestige model and the cruise control was quite difficult to use compared with our SL. Interior was top notch. Engine noise does come into the cabin a fair bit and so does wind/road noise. I would love to hear anyone elses experience who has compared the 250-350?

Gordo, spoke with the service manager, the oil used was the fully synthetic castrol 5w-30. He said they use it pretty much the same oil in all the petrol engines. He did say that he could not speak for other dealers as they normally use what they get the best deal with:P.

The car was delivered with a very thorough clean and the air con was deodorised as well ( plus chocolate:)). So 45K service with pick up/delivery etc all up late $400 inc GST.

Ta

the loan car that you had was probably thrashed

my 350 is dead quiet

Hello, Jeff,

That sounds good about the full synthetic 5w30 oil that they are using. At least your Lexus dealer was nice enough to speak to you. The one I used to go to (Lexus Brighton) for the 4 yrs have been either stupid or don't want to disclose.

It's good to know the car is running fully synthetic oil.

Don't laugh but I have seen some dealers (Honda to be exact) years ago on my car. I saw the 2 tubs of semi synthetics next to the car. Asked the mechanic if they were to be put in and the reply was, "Yes, we use this for the Euros here.". I straight away stopped it and paid them extra for full synthetic.

Cheers :)

Hi All

Ta