Ongoing Fault With Ct200H.

Hi all

Newbie around these parts. I have a gorgeous CT200h purchased on 31 May 2011. So far I have loved the car and am very impressed with how it drives and the fuel efficiency.

Since I bought it the audio system has been cutting out and then rebooting itself. It's been back to the dealer once and will go back in again tomorrow. This time they plan to keep it for a week, check all the wiring etc and hope to find a solution. They had it last week and put in new software but it didn't fix the issue.

I'm sure the matter is complicated by the fact that it cuts out randomly and you can't predict when it will happen.

I have to say I am really really seriously disappointed. I traded in my 2008 Barina for this car. It was a HUGE upgrade for me and I researched for several months before I decided on the Lexus (was considering buying a Merc or Audi and test drove both).

So far Lexus of Perth have been very good. The service manager has spent time with me trying to reassure me that he and his team are well qualified, want me to be happy and are trying to fix the car. I acknowledge he is doing the right thing but I'm starting to think I've bought a lemon.

I'm a solicitor and understand my legal rights, trading laws, issues such as misrepresentation etc and will pull this out if need be. Really I just want my car fixed.

It's really depressing that they just simply don't know how to fix it (and can't fix the same issue on the IS250s).

So how ranty would you get with the dealer? So far I've been polite, understanding etc.

What is reasonable to expect from Lexus?

What would you do in this situation?

Cheers

Elisha

Hi all

Newbie around these parts. I have a gorgeous CT200h purchased on 31 May 2011. So far I have loved the car and am very impressed with how it drives and the fuel efficiency.

Since I bought it the audio system has been cutting out and then rebooting itself. It's been back to the dealer once and will go back in again tomorrow. This time they plan to keep it for a week, check all the wiring etc and hope to find a solution. They had it last week and put in new software but it didn't fix the issue.

I'm sure the matter is complicated by the fact that it cuts out randomly and you can't predict when it will happen.

I have to say I am really really seriously disappointed. I traded in my 2008 Barina for this car. It was a HUGE upgrade for me and I researched for several months before I decided on the Lexus (was considering buying a Merc or Audi and test drove both).

So far Lexus of Perth have been very good. The service manager has spent time with me trying to reassure me that he and his team are well qualified, want me to be happy and are trying to fix the car. I acknowledge he is doing the right thing but I'm starting to think I've bought a lemon.

I'm a solicitor and understand my legal rights, trading laws, issues such as misrepresentation etc and will pull this out if need be. Really I just want my car fixed.

It's really depressing that they just simply don't know how to fix it (and can't fix the same issue on the IS250s).

So how ranty would you get with the dealer? So far I've been polite, understanding etc.

What is reasonable to expect from Lexus?

What would you do in this situation?

Cheers

Elisha

Hi Elisha,

It's unfortunate that you have this problem. It's too early to say whether this is a common problem amongst CT 200h models, but I don't recall hearing of this problem affecting IS 250s - in six years since it's release, I don't think it's been raised here, I'm not aware of a service bulletin that raises this issue, and the . Add the fact that your Lexus dealer hasn't been able to fix the problem yet, and I'd dare say that this issue is rare.

Occasionally, however, a forum member will experience a problem that means that their Lexus dealer will need to keep the car for several days while they attempt to reproduce and pinpoint the source of the problem. I would expect your Lexus dealer to offer a replacement vehicle. I would also expect the dealer to start replacing parts (e.g. the entire audio unit) if the problem can't be solved over the next few days. I believe there is a possibility that replacement parts will take some time to order, due to the tsunami in Japan. If it comes to that, I wouldn't lose my cool with the Lexus dealer, but I'd encourage him to be open about any supply issues.

The 2011 JD Power Initial Quality Study (US) shows Lexus as the most reliable marque, with 73 problems reported per 100 vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership. So even the average Lexus owner can expect one defect within three months. Based on those figures, I don't think you have a lemon. You could try substantiating that it's a "major failure" under Schedule 2, section 260(a) of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 but, personally, I think it's a bit too soon to pull the trigger.

Hopefully, your Lexus dealer will be able to resolve the problem, or find a way forward, over the next week.

Finally, two questions to satisfy my own intrigue:

1. Do you just have an audio system without sat nav? Or is it the combined nav and audio system like melodien's?

2. Does the problem only occur in a certain part of town?

Hi Elisha,

It's unfortunate that you have this problem. It's too early to say whether this is a common problem amongst CT 200h models, but I don't recall hearing of this problem affecting IS 250s - in six years since it's release, I don't think it's been raised here, I'm not aware of a service bulletin that raises this issue, and the . Add the fact that your Lexus dealer hasn't been able to fix the problem yet, and I'd dare say that this issue is rare.

Occasionally, however, a forum member will experience a problem that means that their Lexus dealer will need to keep the car for several days while they attempt to reproduce and pinpoint the source of the problem. I would expect your Lexus dealer to offer a replacement vehicle. I would also expect the dealer to start replacing parts (e.g. the entire audio unit) if the problem can't be solved over the next few days. I believe there is a possibility that replacement parts will take some time to order, due to the tsunami in Japan. If it comes to that, I wouldn't lose my cool with the Lexus dealer, but I'd encourage him to be open about any supply issues.

The 2011 JD Power Initial Quality Study (US) shows Lexus as the most reliable marque, with 73 problems reported per 100 vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership. So even the average Lexus owner can expect one defect within three months. Based on those figures, I don't think you have a lemon. You could try substantiating that it's a "major failure" under Schedule 2, section 260(a) of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 but, personally, I think it's a bit too soon to pull the trigger.

Hopefully, your Lexus dealer will be able to resolve the problem, or find a way forward, over the next week.

Finally, two questions to satisfy my own intrigue:

1. Do you just have an audio system without sat nav? Or is it the combined nav and audio system like melodien's?

2. Does the problem only occur in a certain part of town?

Hey

Thanks for your response.

The dealer told me about the happening with IS250s and I couldn't find anything on this forum either. It's good to hear that no other people have reported it, maybe it's not as bad as the dealer suspects.

In response to your questions:

1. I have the same system as melodien. Sat Nav/Audio/Phone all together in the pop up screen. Like melodien, the fault is totally random (I realise this makes it MUCH harder to diagnose). It will do it once, then not for ages and then again a week later. (I feel like the typical blonde saying the car is doing this funny thing!!).

2. As mentioned above I can't pin it down to anything and its happened all over town. Yesterday it was raining and happened when I was braking.

As I said in the OP, Lexus Perth Service has been excellent. I can really only say good things, the manager spent time discussing the issue with me, has made follow up calls, offered to show me through the workshop etc. I can confidently say that Perth Lexus has lived up to expectations. I just hope they can find the issue.

I'll have a look at the Act you mention. I agree, too early to pull out something like that but I have to admit I feel like I should have walked up the road to Mercedes at this point.

Anyway, you live and learn.

Fingers *crossed* that they can fix it.

The guys are right.

Although if you had gone up the road to Mercedes i think you would be more disapointed overall. Not just a little radio problem that Lexus WILL resolve with minimal impact to you and your convenience.

Your in the best hands any service department in the world can give you!!! no doubt about it!!

The car has so far been back once.

People don't seem to realised how complex modern cars are & problems can be to find. Especially intermittent ones.

If it was another brand they say "it seems fine now, see you later"

Give the dealer a chance. Sounds like they are trying to do the right thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Very happy to report that the issue with my audio system cutting out seems to be fixed.

Lexus Perth took the car for a week last time, re-installed new software (again) and the problem seems to be gone. This makes me a very happy Lexus driver.

I can't say enough good things about Lexus Perth. They really listened to my concerns, went out of their way to help me and have been excellent with follow up calls etc.

If anyone else is having this problem, speak to your dealer, apparently they know it's happening across the models and it is rather simple to fix.

Cheers, Elisha.