Is 350 - Some Pre-Purchase Questions Re Ipod/iphone Integration And Na

You can connect your iphone through the usb and should be good to go with music. Doesn't stream through bluetooth, also I believe the later models don't have Mark Levinson audio, but is still just as good.

You can't dial or enter address when driving but there is a hack to that somewhere.

My IS350 F Sport has the Mark Levinson Premium Surround System - I think it's great for a factory fitted audio system.

I use a USB stick in the USB drive for my music rather than connect my iPhone every time I get in and out. Easily able to control song selection via the touch screen and/or steering wheel controls. Can select random/shuffle etc through the audio function on the EMV Screen.

I wish we could get the ventilated seats in the F Sport too, I notice they do heat up a little too much in the hot weather - but no worse than any other car with a black leather interior.

I haven't actually driven a Sports Luxury so don't know how they compare to the F Sport model but my mum has an E90 320i M Sport and, without being biased, the Lexus leaves it for dead in terms of ride quality, refinement and comfort. The IS350 doesn't suffer (thank god) from the woeful Run Flats BMW persist with.

As for the lockout on Nav/Phone functions - a few of the options/buttons on the touch screen simply disable themselves as you take off. They reactivate as soon as you come to a stop (red light etc) but it is a little annoying. The Voice Activated Dialing helps overcome the phone lockout though.

I reckon you should be pretty impressed by the IS350 - better than an E90 in a lot of ways IMO.

Hi Everyone

I have read around but havent been able to find anything definitive re the below - sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere!

Anyway, I'm seriously considering an IS 350. I think I am settled on the F Sport model - though I wish it could be optioned with the ventilated seats and active cruise control of the sport luxury :-( Alas, my current car is a 330i M Sport (E90) and from what I've read the F Sport is the closest in terms of suspension tune and steering (note, I am yet to go for a test drive). My question is - Is the Sport Luxury noticably softer than the F Sport? I suppose I really should drive both back to back, but any opions and observations would be welcome!

I've read that the iPod / iPhone integration is not without its flaws. Firstly, will it work with an iPhone 4 with the latest iOS 5? I mostly play from playlists, but also like to able to randomly shuffle through all songs. Does the Lexus interface allow this? (ie, hit next track to get the next randomly selected track chosen from all songs on the iPod/iPhone). This might sound like a stupid question, but my BMW (with dealer-fit iPod interface) actually doesn't do this, which is frustrating! Also, does the Lexus support bluetooth streaming? I'de also be interested in people's opinions on the sound quality of the Levinson system against the Logic7 system BMW use (I have the 13 speaker setup with Logic7).

Lastly, can anyone explain exactly how the Nav and Phone controls are locked out while you're driving? Does this mean that you can't dial numbers or enter a new destination unti you pull over?

Thanks for any info!

Hi there,

I was one of the first owners of the IS350 F-Sport in Australia and can share with you some of my ownership experience which hopefully answers some of your questions.

The ride on the F Sport is quite harsh for a luxury car but it is an excellent compromise for a luxury sport car. In the past I have owned the MX-5 (NC model) and recently test drove the Maserati Cambiocorssa (sorry for the misspelling), I can advise that the F Sport is an excellent driver vehicle in terms of ride compliance and acceleration.

Unfortunately, the F Sport inherited the 2006 IS250 interior which means that most of the functionalities you find in the modern BMW E90 will not be there. (Note, another of my family member owns a BMW E90 320d which I have checked out the sound and satellite navigation system).

My IS350 F Sport will NOT play Iphone 3GS and Iphone 4. There are heavy statics in the speakers. This is again confirmed by the owner's manual. As such, all the functions which you'd like to achieve described above will not be possible. Also, there is NO bluetooth streaming.

However, the Ipod Touch will integrate and connect directly via USB. The Mark Levinson sound system is EXCELLENT. It is highly recommended that you play from an original DVD disc and select the DTS sound option. You will be amazed by the output!

In terms of the phone function, you cannot enter numbers while driving but can use the speed dial if you have programmed the numbers. Similarly, with the sat nav, you cannot enter new destinations while driving but can select the pre-programmed addresses.

Hope the above is useful, pleae do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further queries. I have a few pictures of my car in the photo/gallery section of this website.

All the best with your purchasing decision!

Regards,

D

Hi Everyone

I have read around but havent been able to find anything definitive re the below - sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere!

Anyway, I'm seriously considering an IS 350. I think I am settled on the F Sport model - though I wish it could be optioned with the ventilated seats and active cruise control of the sport luxury :-( Alas, my current car is a 330i M Sport (E90) and from what I've read the F Sport is the closest in terms of suspension tune and steering (note, I am yet to go for a test drive). My question is - Is the Sport Luxury noticably softer than the F Sport? I suppose I really should drive both back to back, but any opions and observations would be welcome!

I've read that the iPod / iPhone integration is not without its flaws. Firstly, will it work with an iPhone 4 with the latest iOS 5? I mostly play from playlists, but also like to able to randomly shuffle through all songs. Does the Lexus interface allow this? (ie, hit next track to get the next randomly selected track chosen from all songs on the iPod/iPhone). This might sound like a stupid question, but my BMW (with dealer-fit iPod interface) actually doesn't do this, which is frustrating! Also, does the Lexus support bluetooth streaming? I'de also be interested in people's opinions on the sound quality of the Levinson system against the Logic7 system BMW use (I have the 13 speaker setup with Logic7).

Lastly, can anyone explain exactly how the Nav and Phone controls are locked out while you're driving? Does this mean that you can't dial numbers or enter a new destination unti you pull over?

Thanks for any info!

Hi there,

I was one of the first owners of the IS350 F-Sport in Australia and can share with you some of my ownership experience which hopefully answers some of your questions.

The ride on the F Sport is quite harsh for a luxury car but it is an excellent compromise for a luxury sport car. In the past I have owned the MX-5 (NC model) and recently test drove the Maserati Cambiocorssa (sorry for the misspelling), I can advise that the F Sport is an excellent driver vehicle in terms of ride compliance and acceleration.

Unfortunately, the F Sport inherited the 2006 IS250 interior which means that most of the functionalities you find in the modern BMW E90 will not be there. (Note, another of my family member owns a BMW E90 320d which I have checked out the sound and satellite navigation system).

My IS350 F Sport will NOT play Iphone 3GS and Iphone 4. There are heavy statics in the speakers. This is again confirmed by the owner's manual. As such, all the functions which you'd like to achieve described above will not be possible. Also, there is NO bluetooth streaming.

However, the Ipod Touch will integrate and connect directly via USB. The Mark Levinson sound system is EXCELLENT. It is highly recommended that you play from an original DVD disc and select the DTS sound option. You will be amazed by the output!

In terms of the phone function, you cannot enter numbers while driving but can use the speed dial if you have programmed the numbers. Similarly, with the sat nav, you cannot enter new destinations while driving but can select the pre-programmed addresses.

Hope the above is useful, pleae do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further queries. I have a few pictures of my car in the photo/gallery section of this website.

All the best with your purchasing decision!

Regards,

D

ill add to this my 350 (presteige) plays directly off my Iphone 4 (non 4Gs) and i can use it via the steering wheel controls too

static in the speakers you should go consult your dealer for this sounds like you having alot of issues with the 350

my 350 has got 17K kms on it now and it's running like a dream not a single fault yet to be found

you will have some cars that have issues but lexus is quick for fixing these up

out of all the lexus we had in the family iv only been to the dealer 3 times to get it fixed

(twice for the RX350 and once for my ISF)

As for the OP's question

suspension

if you are used to a M pack E90 then the Sports luxury will feel too soft for you

the suspension set up on the M pack is way to hard for the roads (i find it harder than my ISF which is stiffer than the F sport again)

if you really want to vented seats and the cruise control my suggestion is get the sports lux and change the suspension (ie coilovers or F sport springs and shock set)

though in doing so you miss out on the bucket seats and the wheels and suspension, body parts (boot spoiler and the front lip)

all these parts can be added or changed after the car is purchased (DIY or professional)

as for the i phone issues

the Gen 3' IS serise came out with the USB inputs

some owners are claiming that they can not use Iphone 4 to play back music but i have not had a issue yet

Blue tooth Audio (blue tooth streaming) i think thats what your talking about.. is not available in the AUDM IS serise

US spec IS's have these standard with the marklevinson system

Nav's locked out while the cars in motion for safety reasons though you can get a NAV Bypass kit for this rather than cutting wires

BMW has done well for their cars but only for their high end cars

Value for money

E90 320i (m pack or not) is not even comparible to the base IS250 in both power, ride, quality, smoothness

E90 335 " is closely matched both in power and handling wise but the bmw falls short on value and reliability.

hope my input helps

Hi Everyone, thanks so much for all the valuable input. I still think i'm sold on the F Sport, and if I have no luck with getting an iPhone to work I could always play my music off of a USB stick I guess. Also, if you can still select pre-programmed addresses and phone speed dials (have I got that right?) while in motion, then I can't see myself having any issues with the nav system at all but does anyone know anything more about this Nav bypass kit? I wouldn't be game to snip wires I don't think.

Thanks again, cheers.

Have just been following this post and found this:

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-nt4618-navigation-control-bypass-module.html

Don't have one but it seems to look pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the prestigious dvd overide fitted, done by the dealer. Works fantastic, can use all functions for sat nav and phone while in motion and passengers can even watch a dvd if they want to while driving.

I have the prestigious dvd overide fitted, done by the dealer. Works fantastic, can use all functions for sat nav and phone while in motion and passengers can even watch a dvd if they want to while driving.

What dealer did the mod for you??

Hi Malibu, sorry to be a pain but approx how much did they charge??