General Public Perception On Lexus?

I've always considered Lexus as a classy brand, so that's why I recently hooked up a Lexus. I got some friends saying "why did you get a Lexus, it's just a camry in disguise", and telling me that I should of hooked up a 3 series or a4. So I was just wondering if the general public thinks that Lexus is a prestigious brand in line with mercs, bmw and audi or just a "wannabe". It's rare to see an Lexus driver in Brisbane, probably get to see 1 a day or so (which is a good thing).

As an owner of two Camrys before buying my Lexus, I don't see such comparisons between Lexus cars and Toyotas as the insult people expect it to be. All Lexus owners know that Lexus cars are very different to Toyotas where it counts, but sharing the same quality, reliability and refinement (relative to their target markets) has got to be a good thing. It's got to be better than saying an A4 is a "Passat in disguise".

As for what the "general public thinks" - it depends which part of the world you're looking at. In the US, the Lexus is clearly seen as a luxury brand that often betters the German competitors. And unsurprisingly, in continental Europe, Lexus has a long way to go before it is seen in the same light as Mercedes, BMW or Audi. As for Australia, the general public's Euro-fetish has existed for quite some time. Mercedes and BMW have been long entrenched as prestige brands, while I would argue that the prestige that Audi carries in Australia has to do with the migration of mainland Chinese, with their propensity towards Audis (the car of choice for Communist Party members and their aspirants).

The rarity of Lexus cars in Brisbane probably has more to do with Brisbane's lack of a luxury car market in general (again, migration is changing that in favour of Audi). But, strictly speaking, your question was about Lexus being seen as a prestige brand, and not its popularity converted into sales. A brand can carry a lot of prestige, and yet not sell.

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought mine, I was on my P plates. I got a lot of comments about it! The perception in Vic is that lexus cars are "old man" cars, which is a shame people think this, As they are great cars for younger people as they are very reliable for traveling to and from work and long trips interstate. I was hoping to change my friends views on the brand but all I succeeded in doing was convincing my dad they are awesome... he's old! So didnt really work! haha!

Some of the girls here are clueless as *BLEEP*. I was at maccas this morning walking to my car and these 2 "teen girls" walked pass and said "that's a sexy car, what is it?". I wanted to say something like "it's a LEXUS! bitch", but to be exact I was like "uhh yeh it's a lexus", and I think they responded something like "oh yeh I think I've heard of it before"... When I got home I stared at the car for a while thinking to myself 'man, those bitches are spot on - damn this car is sexy as *BLEEP*"...

Some people don't know car makes or models, but they know what they like.

I'm still laughing at the Nine newsreader who, on live coverage last night, kept referring to a stolen BMW sports car as a "B-M-W Twenty-Four" ... Um, that's Z4, dear.

• 3 weeks later...

most comments I get relate to it being a 'toyota with more stuff'....which is not such a bad thing really.

My own perception of Lexus is that it is an old person's car!!! oh no...perhaps I am one now

:)

Lexus - Persuit of Perfection.

I think they suit people who prefer the finer things in life above all else..

I get the comments of mine being an overpriced Camry and get told I should of bought a real car (MB or BMW)..

I'll happily let the haters hate as they drive along in their unrefined, unreliable, overpriced, under optioned dog boxes.

I've read about it being called an old mans' car. And I think there are survey results somewhere which shows the demographic indeed being upwards of 40. But didn't Lexus recognise this and why they are now focusing more on the younger demographic. First with the ct200h.

From personal experience I've got nothing but compliments about my car. More so about the name Lexus than the model itself as it seems people have no clue what an is250 is.

I usually tell people I drive an is250 when they ask; but I get the occasional what's that? A honda, nissan.. lol.

About it being an overpriced Camry, they obviously haven't driven them to know the difference.

More so about the name Lexus than the model itself as it seems people have no clue what an is250 is.

The name Lexus sounds sexy. I think that's why it's a common strippers name, same with Mercedes.

I dont understand how people can generalise all Lexus models to be glorified Camry's.

The only model that deserves that is the Lexus ES300

And the others are glorified "other-model" Toyotas! Except perhaps the IS range. I can't think of any Toyota rwd.

I do accept my RX350 is a glorified Toyota Harrier, but that's a good base to start from anyway!

And the others are glorified "other-model" Toyotas! Except perhaps the IS range. I can't think of any Toyota rwd.

I do accept my RX350 is a glorified Toyota Harrier, but that's a good base to start from anyway!

Just googled Harrier LOL pretty much the same thing.

I Have a GS450h is there anything like that badged as a Toyota?

Closest thing would be a Camry Hybrid! LOL.

Closest thing would be a Camry Hybrid! LOL.

Except, rear wheel drive, high output v6, doesn't resemble a Camry at all. The list could go on lmfaoo

In the states Lexus seems like a brand for the youth, it has like a cool image over there. All the club meets over there are pretty hectic as well.

Ran into this song on youtube, sounds good.

Lexus meet in Florida, man I love their Lexus culture over there.

WE need a meet like this!! Wont happen though LOL