I've got a 08 IS250 with factory xenon lights and noticed that after about 10mins of driving the left side passenger head light goes out. If i turn the lights off and back on it will come back on and then eventually go out again. This is the first time I've had a car with xenon head lights so I'm not sure if this is a sign that the bulb is on the way out? Or does it normally work like a standard bulb and either just work or not work?

Any ideas? I'm planning to take the bulbs out from left to right and swap it to see but if someone has experienced this before they could save me the trouble.

I'm worried about going to the dealer because from the searches I've done it looks like it is very expensive to change just one bulb!

Thanks.

Thanks ilv1004s I guess xenon bulbs behave differently then. I will grab a set, someone from the forums has mentioned they cost $400 from the dealers?!! Anyone tried after market ones or do you go factory from the dealers?

If anyone can recommend where to buy them from too for a better price that would be great, thanks. Also, are the OEM ones 4300K colour? I've found some philips ones on ebay and i'm thinking of getting the 6000K ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

One of my factory HID bulbs is flickering (on rare occasions it has turned off, but mostly it just flickers).

I've been reading through the threads and it's clear I need to replace it, but is it worthwhile to replace both if the other bulb is working fine?

Update: I see I can use either Philips D4S or Toshiba-Harrison (if I wish to use OEM bulbs). They used Philips in older models (mine) and now use Toshiba-Harrison.

Anyone have any opinion on which brand is more worthwhile? (I read one post that claimed that Philips ones have a shorter life)

Yes replace both bulbs. As soon as one goes, the other one will be on the way out in the not too distant future.

Thanks for the advice, I'll replace both then. Do you think it's worthwhile to look for a specific brand or have you used alternative bulbs (if you've replaced them) ?

I don't think brand matters too much, it's more so you match the fitment type (D4S) and the oem colour (if you choose to keep the same) I've replaced my bulbs because one side kept going out and other side was flickering.

I think my old ones were Phillips and the ones I replaced with were I think Toshiba ones

Apparently the OEM were Philips, but in newer vehicles since 2008 or 2009 (maybe not the case in Australia?) they are now using Harrison-Toshiba (Japanese). This is what I have read on all the international Lexus forums anyway..

Chriss89: Where did you get your Toshiba bulbs from?

Apparently the OEM were Philips, but in newer vehicles since 2008 or 2009 (maybe not the case in Australia?) they are now using Harrison-Toshiba (Japanese). This is what I have read on all the international Lexus forums anyway..

Chriss89: Where did you get your Toshiba bulbs from?

not 100% on the brand, but i recall them not being phillips. I got them from Toyota

Yep my OEM were Phillips, you can buy them from either Powerbulbs for about $125 each or Amazon for cheaper. I found mine from a supplier from Ebay for really cheap which makes me wonder if they are genuine but they work fine so appears ok.

• 2 weeks later...

turtle33: Yeah there are a lot of fakes out there apparently. I've seen fairly cheap ones on Amazon, but even those I'm not so sure about. What's funny is that the flickering one is quite reliable now, although if I bump the car slightly, it begins to flicker.

I hope it's just the bulb and not some sort of connection problem (since bumping the car triggers it).