Just had my 90k service done @Lexus Blackburn today, supply my own iridium plugs. In total cost me $1080 + gifts (LFA cap and lexus pen) hahaha. And a free courtesy car as well (didn't get 350 tho)

My mate is one of the mechanic there, he confirm that lexus use castrol (not full synthetic one) and Lexus charge me $90 for the oil. I should've brought my own oil too.

Car is good, engine feels smoother and they managed to fix front passenger door trim rattle too. Not a bad outcome. I have waayyy terrible experience servicing my E class before both mentally and wallet hahah.

I think so, it is factory recommended viscosity, however i've seen people using 0-40W just so their engine oil can last longer, none the less always asked your dealer if ur not sure, good luck!

Who told you this???

The broader the viscosity in oil the less stable it is and the shorter the lifespan. 0w40 will give you more protection as it is suited to run at colder and hotter temperatures than 5w30 BUT it will not last as long as the 30 weight oil.

Neither of you are correct. An oils longevity has to do with the additives, base stock & specs it meets. You want to look at an oils HT/HS, Noack & TBN to gauge how long it should last. You'll find this info in the PDS (product data sheet) on the manufactures web site. Have a read of this to see what the ACEA specs mean http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/2012_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf

Most 0w40 are made from PAO base stock where as your common 5w30 ( Castrol, Valvoline, Shell etc) are made from Group 3 so in theory the 0w40 will last longer. Either will do the 15K service intervals of an IS250.

Interesting ... The IS250 Owners Manual suggests that 5W-30 should only be used if the ambient temperature isn't expected to exceed 10 degrees Celsius. This doesn't apply to the IS350, where 5W-30 is recommended for all temperature ranges.

Those temp vs viscosity graphs should be taken with a grain of salt, they're very vague. I guess they try & make it as simple as possible but they seem to cause more confusion. You really need to look at the data sheet of the oil you're using. A 5W-30 with a HighTemp/HighShear of 2.9 isn't going to deal with heat as well as one with a HT/HS of 3.5.

Have a read of http://www.bobistheoilguy.com for more on this

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my 90k service done. Tried a different Lexus dealer (Kedron) due to my dissatisfaction with Lexus Indooroopilly. Made them aware of this and they did it for $990 as opposed to the $1300 quoted by Indooroopilly.

I just had my 90k service done. Tried a different Lexus dealer (Kedron) due to my dissatisfaction with Lexus Indooroopilly. Made them aware of this and they did it for $990 as opposed to the $1300 quoted by Indooroopilly.

Can I ask what happened with indooroopilly? Just out of curiosity.

• 1 month later...

I am getting my 90K done at Lexus Indooroopilly this week, to be honest i have been very happy with their service over the last couple years.

I also would like to know what happened out of Curiosity ? or was it the price ?

Cheers.

Ryan

I am getting my 90K done at Lexus Indooroopilly this week, to be honest i have been very happy with their service over the last couple years.

I also would like to know what happened out of Curiosity ? or was it the price ?

Cheers.

Ryan

Basically comes down to price and customer service. They were very unfriendly and unhelpful.

I had my 75k service at Indooroopilly, ended up being $1300! When I called up initially they confirmed that they could provide a loan car and didn't mention any fees. Not until I went to pay for the service they hit me up for it. The cost was only small however I wasn't happy that they didn't tell me from the outset (never charged me for it the previous times). Would have been a good gesture to alleviate the charge since I just paid full price for the service.

The other time was when my satnav screen froze. Since it was no longer under warranty, they wouldn't budge on the price. Gave me two options, either have the whole unit replaced for $2.5k, or have the unit removed and sent down to Melbourne just to have it looked at. They wanted me to pay the shipping costs, approx. $250.. only to have it looked at. If it was a screen related issue then it'd be approx. $1200 to replace the screen only.

My mate ended up doing some research and found some tutorials. After a bit of soldering he fixed it for me.. for free. Saved myself a fortune.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi - Strongly suggest you have a go at the 90K service yourselves. It's not difficult, all parts are available on the net. There is even a fantastic video on youtube on how to change the spark plugs. It does takes a little time to complete (by a novice like myself) but it is doable!

Did my own on a 2008 IS250 sports luxury and saved $$$'s