Hi guys, new to the forum.

I'm looking to purchase a used Lexus IS250 preferably in white ($30k budget)

Must have:

- Satellite Navigation

- Sunroof

Im looking between these two options at the moment.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Lexus-IS250-2007/AGC-AD-14631057/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

Pros:

Low kilometres

From a dealer

Sports Luxury

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lexus-IS250-2010/SSE-AD-2217174/?Cr=4&sdmvc=1

Pros:

Higher year model

From my limited knowledge, i believe the face-lifted (2010 model) has very minor changes such as:

- turn signal on side mirrors

- automatic folding mirrors is standard?

- minor bumper changes

- minor interior changes (sleeker design)

Is there anything else important that im missing?

Also the white paint looks different between those two options. Is it just the pictures or are they infact different shades of white?

Or do you guys think i should wait it out until a better option comes along?

Open to other suggestions, thank you!

Hi jordiiisme

the two colours are different, the first one is crystal mist, which is the rarer one out of the two and is the better looking in my opinion. the latter is starfire pearl. have a look at both in person. i think the crystal mist has more of a pearl effect to it.
I may be wrong but im pretty sure the automatic folding mirrors dont come standard on the prestige variant, so only the 07 one would have it.

I'm sure every white vehicle on lexus cars from 2007 have the colour code 077 which is starfire pearl. Some early vehicles had the colour code 062 which is crystal white (this is what I have). If they're 2007 and 2010 models I would assume that they're both the same colour (one was taken outside and one inside). Shades may be different due to the weather. Also with a 30k budget I would push for a 2009 Sports Luxury. Or you could even add 10k extra or wait a little bit and get an IS350 (this is what I would do).

Yeah i was also under the impression that 2007+ models were only starfire pearl. I'll have a look at the paint code of the 2007 model and double check.

I'd love for an is350 but unfortunately that isn't an option at the moment. However, if i don't find an is250 in the near future ill definitely have a look into those.

Any specific reasons i should push for a 2009 sports luxury besides the fact its newer?

Thanks for the input!!

On the decision between grades, see above.

On colours:

plankton007 is basically right, although Starfire Pearl (077) is known in Australia as White Pearl or, more formally White Pearl Crystal Shine - not to be confused with Crystal White (062).

I have personally seen differences between examples of White Pearl. Differences could come from age and length of exposure to the sun, the angle you're looking at it, lighting conditions (if you're not looking at two at the same time) and the wax being used. But the pearlescent effects of White Pearl don't really come up well in photos anyway, so it would be ideal to look at each car in different light conditions (including bright sunlight and fluorescent light) and see which car's finish you prefer ... Assuming you can't make your decision on other factors!

Once you've driven an IS250 SL, every other car is ruined for you, Jordiisme -- they are brilliant !!!!

Started with a 2007 IS250 SL and although it took me 18 months to find the right car, have now upgraded to a 2010 IS250 SL.

During the process I learnt the following - prices are cheaper in SA and QLD; it is a buyer's market and you can bargain far more aggressively than you think possible; preferably buy from a Lexus dealer and above all, be patient - you'll get what you're after.

And if there any suitable cars in Melbourne that you'd like an opinion on or checked out, PM me.

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, ive been looking at a lexus is250 2007 sports luxury with roughly 51000kms on the odometer from http://japcarcentre.com.au/

I was a bit skeptical on the mileage so i cross checked the service history (in the log books) using the VIN number with the Lexus branch that had serviced the car.

The last service stamped was in the log book was in 2010 for the 45000km service which matched Lexus' records.

However, in their records they have pickles auction house as the last place the car was at. So im assuming that japcarcentre had bought the car from the auction house and is reselling it or something along those lines.

Is there anything you guys believe i should be worried about?

Is it all possible to rollback those readings or fake the logbook etc.

NOTE: I've also purchased a car history report which shows no odometer discrepancies.

Also, is there anything i should be worried about having the car come from/been at an auction house?

Trying to take the highest level of precautionary measures before committing.

Pre-purchase inspection will be next on my list if this car is good.

Thanks!

I read on whirlpool someone just bought an RX (previous gen) with 90k km on it but when he took it to Lexus they told him the last service in their record was 200k km LOL. So I guess it's possible, although your records match up so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Do you have a link to the actual car?

Wow that is a big difference.

Well yeah the records match but i guess i am just worried about the time period between 2010 to now and whether there is any disadvantages to it being at an auction.

This is the car i am looking at.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Cars/Cars-For-Sale-/LEXUS/IS250/LEXUS-IS250-SPORTS-LUXURY-GSE20R/Chullora/NSW/AdNumber=D583602602406

That's the compliance plate, it won't have paint details on it.

Have a look at the bilt plate, should be on the passengers side b piller. This will have the manufaturers name ( TMC) NIN , engine number , paint code trim etc...

As far as KM's go people can always cheat, there are ways to do it but I won't go on a public forum about them, some cars are more difficut than others and all of them are much harder than the days of the none digital oddos, however they are all doable.

Loook for normal wear at the usual places , like drivers seat leather, steering wheel, brakes etc... they should all match the ks. Are the tyres worn out or new?, if worn check if they are original tyres as fitted in 2007, if new check when they were made.

It's fair to say the car did 45k ks in the first 3 years but only 5 k ks in the next 3-4 years is a little odd.

Before you commit to buy check if it has been in an accident ( severe, not a small dint), if yas keep away from it

The car doesn't have original number plate on it either, what was the original plate? Should be on the service book.

The fact it was sold at auction means nothing other than someone wanted to sell quick ( wholesale) .

@mr kay - oh really? did lexus have this as an option or should i be worried?

@wrxhoon - Thanks for the lengthy informative reply.

So pretty much i've contacted the original owner of the car and the lovely lady had told me that she had traded the car into an Audi dealership around 2 years ago. As for what happened between that time and now, not too sure.

Any idea on what the original tyres would have been? I checked them out earlier today and the car had pirelli pzeros on them with fairly good tread depth left.

Ive done a car history report and everything checks out,

- no known odometer discrepancies

- no recorded write offs

- no record of it being stolen

However, there does seem to be a security interest present but as far as i am aware, this problem would be something the dealer would have to deal with anyway?

The original number plate was SA466.

I'll most likely get a pre-purchase inspection from state roads as they should be able to help me figure out whether the state of the car reflects the kilometres shown.

I'm not aware of the tyre brand lexus used in that car however they would have to be Japanese made. Check the date on them .

Original number plate was obviously personal plate and removed when traded in. Audi didn't want to retail it so it went to auction , all good here . The original owner sold 2 years ago, at what km? Has is been continiously registered?

The dealer has to sell it with clear tittle but make sure it is before you part with your $$$ just in case the dealer goes broke before they pay the finance out.

State roads will do all the checks for you, they will even tell you if it has been in a stack even minor.

Good luck with it.

Don't take my word for it but I've only seen them with either the full black interior or the two tone light grey leather and black carpet.

May need someone else to confirm.

@wrxhoon - Not too sure what km it was when she had traded it in but she had done the 45000km service in 2010 and then i believe in 2011 it was traded in. I purchased the rta history report and this is what it shows,

Period of Use Usage Type

15 Mar-2007 to 10-Mar-2011 Private

11 Mar-2011 to 6-Apr-2011 Held of Resale by motor dealer

7-Apr-2011 to present Private

What do you reckon? Would the "Held of resale by motor dealer" be the Audi dealers and then the next period of use be the auction house? I don't see how this current dealer fits in it though.

The original owner also mentioned that there was someone from Audi that mentioned that he may be interested in buying the car in which i believe that might be where the financial interests come into it? PPSR report shows the security interest comes from Volkswagen Financial Services.

Will definitely make sure it has a clear title before going through with the purchase.

Your help has been much appreciated!!

@mr kay - oh alright no problem! ill have to dig into that :). if anyone else can help confirm that would be great!!

My experience has been that focussing on buying a car just based on initial purchase price can often be the start of a nightmare journey that ends up costing you heaps more.

Have only inspected one Lexus with a beige interior and the grime marks around the seat belt part were clearly visible and off-putting.

A car that hasn't been serviced since 2010 - I wouldn't touch it personally - far too many things can go wrong in a car that hasn't been used and serviced regularly - IMHO, very low mileage on a car is worse than above average mileage.

Good luck !!

@Subby - Thanks for the input! Was the Lexus with beige interior you examined white in colour by any chance? Im not 100% sure on the service history between 2010 to now. I'll have to have a look into that but as you implied, it is a bit worrying.

However, if i do get a pre-purchased inspection on the car then the mechanic should be able to tell whether the car has been maintained well or not i assume?

In terms of the car mileage, i ran a car history report and it mentions on the report that "the odometer reading lies within the majority of similar vehicles". Not too sure how accurate that is though.

I'll also be looking at this one later in the day. What you guys think?

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/lexus/is250/newcastle/detail.aspx?id=38434218&lid=38434218&pg=1&pp=0&d=0&from=53

- One owner only

- Says it has full service history

- The owner says that most of the kilometres are from long distance travelling

Held by motor dealer is the time it was registerd in the dealers name not nessesary the time in the dealers possession. Dealers are slck they don't tranfer as soon as the buy the vehicle, they just pay the fine and transfer when they sell in the above case they probably done it when it went to auction. Dealers don't pay stamp duty and only pay half the tranfer fee we pay. Auction houses don't have to transfer as they act for the vendor in the above case the Audi dealer.

I hope this explains the reason the auction house is not listed by RTA.

Note the current dealer hasn't transfered yet either they will do it when you ( or someone else) buy it .

Ask the original owner if she fitted new tyres before she sold it and check the date on the tyres see if they match.

Check the oil in the engine to see if it was serviced in the last 3 years, oil breaks down over a period of time regardless of km travelledespecially if parked outside in the cold at night.

If aftermarket warranty ( like 3 years) offered by the selling dealer read it to see what it covers ( I bet not very much ). Only the statutory warranty ( 3 months on vehicles under 10 years and under 160 k ks and under around $58 k) is any good. Make sure it's sold on form 4 not form 6 or form 8. Form 6 has the warranty but dons't cover the exclussions listed on the form , form 8 no warranty.

I don't know how the price compares with other cars available for sale and if you are paying a premium for the low kms or not . Keep in mind the car is 6-7 years old, time as well as use wear cars out, again make sure the car hasn't been in a stack or flood, the guys at staewide should pick that .

From my experience ( ex motor mechanic) Japanese BUILT cars ( not nessesary Jap branded cars) have proven to be very reliable over the years. The plant where Lexus are built is probably the best plant on earth.

- IMHO, very low mileage on a car is worse than above average mileage.

Not from my experiance Subby, I prefer a car with very low k's to a car with high k's as long as all else is the same, like condition, age etc and as long as it's been serviced. What triggers red flags with me is the very low k's , I want to find out the reason the k's are very low. In the above case there could be a very legitimate reason but it could also not be.

It could have oddo haircut or could have been off road ( read damaged). The fact the car was sold new in NSW minimises the accident, they usually bring them in from interstate particularly WA.

Serious accidents ( cars written off by insurance ) are registered as repairable write offs in NSW and from a couple years ago as statutory write offs. A stat write off can never be registerd in Australia.This is the reason insurance companies now will repair vehicles with severe damage .

Thanks a bunch, i will take everything into consideration.

You have been super helpful, thank you very much wrxhoon.

He is always very helpful and he is one of the best people you will ever meet. He will only ever give you and anybody else honest advise. Listen and heed!! Don't learn the hard way like I use to.

Hey guys, did a stateroad prepurchase inspection and everything seemed mechanically sound so i went ahead with the purchase. I was just wondering if anyone knows the cheapest place in Sydney to get another smart key made? Unfortunately there was only 1 provided.

Thanks!