Hi All

My 07 250SL is giving a clunk noise from the left rear suspension every time I go over a pothole, rough ground etc. Has anyone else experienced this?

I took it my Lexus service team and was told it is only minor and not a hazard, or dangerous to the integrity of the car, and If I really want it gone they would charge about $2000!!!

I haven't taken it anywhere else for a check as yet, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what was the outcome.

TIA

Hi Lex

Yes, standard suspension, and all they told me is that it was at the top end so it's hard to get to. I think it is a bush or similar, but can't be sure.

Thinking of going to pedders or similar and getting suspension people to give me a better idea.

Sometimes it is the bushing and sometimes it is as simple as a loose bolt. On another car, the right rear was clunking over speed humps, then over a few months, it progressively got worst until I get a knocking noise all the time.

So I got another person to push the car while I identified the source. Turned out just a loose bolt on the strut mount. Tightened the bot and noise gone.

You should go to a suspension shop like pedders and get a second opinion. Or if the knock is reproducible when someone push the car, you can try and identify any loose parts yourself.

I am having exactly the same problem with my new (latest model) IS250. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

If it's under warranty, have it checked by your Lexus dealer. As with all rattles, squeaks and clunks, they will address the problem until you're certain the problem's gone. (Having said that, it helps if you drive the car to the dealer yourself and don't leave until you know they've reproduced the noise.)

Problem first noticed 2/3 months ago when the radio was turned off and windows opened. As such, when I then started specifically listening for it, I could hear it with the radio on and windows closed so I suspect the car may have had the problem from day one.

As well as it occurring in instances similar to you, I could also hear it when either of the rear wheels went over the small reflective lane markers (for want of a better description) in multi-lane roads.

Lexus dealership advised this was their first awareness of this problem in the current IS250 model and they were going to report it to Lexus Australia.

Thanks Trev.

I'll do some investigating of my own. Mine feels like a heavier clunk than I would expect from a park brake shoe, but is definitely an easier fix than pulling out the suspension if I don't need to.

• 3 months later...

The rear end clunk with exactly the same symptoms in my new IS250 has begun to re-occur after what now appears was a temporary fix in February (refer posts late Jan & early Feb). I have the car booked in for it's 15K service next week when I will be requesting it to be fixed again.

I will be disappointed if I don't get a PERMANENT fix for the problem this time. It will be the third time I have advised the Dealer of the problem, the 1st being late December, the 2nd late January.

Hi Trev

I took mine to pedders and they have told me my rear shocks are buggered, after a series of checks/tests, and need replacing. Apparently everything else is ok.

Maybe get the service team to check them

Hi Trev

I took mine to pedders and they have told me my rear shocks are buggered, after a series of checks/tests, and need replacing. Apparently everything else is ok.

Maybe get the service team to check them

how many kms do you have?

i have a set of stock shocks out of a SL with 20K kms on em

pm me if your intrested

• 2 weeks later...

Dealership Service technicians confirmed the clunk was again caused by movement in the handbrake shoes.

Action taken to fix under warranty was to remove & clean the handbrake shoes, apply white grease, re-assemble, carry out adjustments then road test.

Problem appears to be resolved. Hopefully permanently this time.