Options to quieten down my Xforce exhaust....

_ISF

If you have the PPE's then perhaps you might like to play with the Matrix mode. That way you can have the valves partially closed at idle and low rpm to keep it relatively quiet, and then once you go past a certain rpm or throttle position they will open up fully to give all the noise. 

The Matrix mode is endlessly adjustable so you will get it to a setting you are happy with and then no need to stress out when you see a cop.

28 minutes ago, _ISF said:

If you have the PPE's then perhaps you might like to play with the Matrix mode. That way you can have the valves partially closed at idle and low rpm to keep it relatively quiet, and then once you go past a certain rpm or throttle position they will open up fully to give all the noise. 

The Matrix mode is endlessly adjustable so you will get it to a setting you are happy with and then no need to stress out when you see a cop.

To be honest, i dont mind the loudness but id just like it quiet early morning when i leave for work and when i see police etc so i think manual is my only real solution.  Time of the day might be good but cant see how thats possible.  i.e. Driving before 5am which is me (be in quiet mode).

When i first got the exhaust i was impressed with the sound, loved the v8 sound.  My first impression when i got the PPE's was Oh crap what have i done, its way too loud haha.  Of course its grown on me and i love it now, never gets old so mine is open most of the time.

Only other mode id like would be "wife" mode.  Varex smartbox detecting my wife is in the car and changing to quiet mode lol.

Ps Ive been defected a long time ago with my WRX for the exhaust being too loud and my ISF is much louder but so far so good.  Its definitely more of a sleeper which helps.

4 hours ago, BLK ISF said:

Only other mode id like would be "wife" mode.  Varex smartbox detecting my wife is in the car and changing to quiet mode lol.

Ps Ive been defected a long time ago with my WRX for the exhaust being too loud and my ISF is much louder but so far so good.  Its definitely more of a sleeper which helps.

I know exactly what you are saying. Regarding "wife mode", your wife can also download the Xforce app on her phone and then she can make the exhaust quiet if that's what she wants - i have shown my wife how to use it (very easy).

I have in previous years owned cars that Police targeted (i had 2x Nissan 200sx's about 8-10 years ago) but with my last few cars (Golf R and Golf GTI) as well as the IS-F they don't even look at them........part of that might be down to the fact that i now keep my cars looking stock-ish on the outside. Although in saying that, all my cars have been very subtle and very tidy compared to what you see around.

• 3 years later...

Hey fellas, keen to hear an update on how you're getting on with the xforce/varex now several years later? Did I read correctly that with a vline grom you can adjust the varex from the cars touch screen?

8 hours ago, Slopshua said:

Hey fellas, keen to hear an update on how you're getting on with the xforce/varex now several years later? Did I read correctly that with a vline grom you can adjust the varex from the cars touch screen?

Hi mate, wow this thread is going back some years lol.  My setup is going great, no complaints at all.

Years ago i was having a few issues with the motors seizing up meaning one of the mufflers would not respond with the remote (either stuck open/closed etc).  However for me, i ended up purchasing the smart box about 3 yrs ago so it could be controlled via the app and its never had any issues since.  I never use the remote now as you truly don't know what position the muffler is open/closed.  i.e. 10%, 50% etc.

With the app its great, you know exactly how open/closed it is.  I leave it 100% open when im alone, or about 30% with the Mrs as she isn't a fan of loud cars and sometimes closed on startup if im leaving early.

Yes you are correct regarding the GROM Vline.  I've had my Vline V2 for about 4 yrs now so once the smartbox was connected, i just downloaded the app with the Vline and i can control it all on screen.  Convenient in that you are not supposed to use your phone whilst driving.

The only time i discovered an issue with the app not responding was when i had it open on my phone and vline at the same time.  Im sure its a bluetooth issue as the smartbox was attempting to be connected to 2 units.  It would always come back online after the car was turned off for an hour or so or if i disconnected/reconnected to the box.  Since then when driving i just either the phone or Vline (generally the vline when driving) and it always works. Ive attached a few pics so you can see it on my screen.

Screenshot_20190629-190201_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190629-190037_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190629-190146_Gallery.jpg

Good to hear you've ironed out all the issues with the varex. At this stage I'm pretty sure I'll being doing exactly what you've done - ppe headers, x force varex with the smart box and vline grom. Don't suppose you've got any audio of how your car sounds? Did you have cats welded in? 

The grom is now $1189 so it's gone up a bit since your other post about it years ago. Are you still happy with it? Any reliability issues come up? How's the phone call quality compared to OEM for the person you're calling (it doesnt use the oem microphone for hands free calls right?) Found many apps that you've want3d to install that couldn't work on the F's low res screen? For me the functionality I want more than anything is really just Android Auto to work seamlessly and YTM or spotify. Being able to control the varex without touching the phone is an very welcome bonus though! 

On 6/4/2022 at 9:05 AM, Slopshua said:

Good to hear you've ironed out all the issues with the varex. At this stage I'm pretty sure I'll being doing exactly what you've done - ppe headers, x force varex with the smart box and vline grom. Don't suppose you've got any audio of how your car sounds? Did you have cats welded in? 

The grom is now $1189 so it's gone up a bit since your other post about it years ago. Are you still happy with it? Any reliability issues come up? How's the phone call quality compared to OEM for the person you're calling (it doesn't use the oem microphone for hands free calls right?) Found many apps that you've want3d to install that couldn't work on the F's low res screen? For me the functionality I want more than anything is really just Android Auto to work seamlessly and YTM or spotify. Being able to control the varex without touching the phone is an very welcome bonus though! 

Nah never bothered to record any videos of it.  Probably driving it maybe once a fortnight at the moment if that lol.  I dont have cats with my setup.  People warned me i wouldnt be able to handle the fumes.  To be honest i don't notice anything, especially after replacing my rear cabin vents.  Perhaps my sense of smell is not the best but none of my passengers comment about it either.

I paid just over $800 for my Vline V2 but that was 4 yrs ago.  It does feel like a lot of outlay for what it is as you cant see it, you feel like you're not getting your money's worth vs an after market head unit you can see.  But there isn't really much options if you want a stealth approach.  I didn't want to go the Beatsonic route or others with a second screen sitting very low or Tesla type screen that doesn't suit my tastes.  Im very happy with my setup, makes an very outdated infotainment unit much more modern and useful.  I always use Waze or Google maps, spotify.  When the kids are in the car, i sometimes use Youtube for them or Netflix etc.  Much more functionality vs OEM so no regrets for me.

I don't use Android Auto though as its limited what apps can run so tried it but preferred to just use a custom launcher.  With just a click i can access most of my apps.  If driving, i use the voice command function to speak what i want such as navigate too (it will open my default maps app with the address i said).  Or open settings, name of app etc so don't need to type anything.  I even open Youtube, press the mic and my girls in the backseat say out loud what video they want to watch and it picks it up and opens that video.

I dont go crazy with apps but so far haven't had any issue with apps not being compatible or performing poorly.  As said, Waze, Google maps, Spotify, Netflix, Youtube, Chrome, Xforce etc all work fine.  My only observation would be that sometimes there can be a slight lag when i press a function and it responds.  Its not as fast as a phone for instance but for me not that bad, a few seconds really.

Given i don't use AA, my Vline connects via my phone hotspot.  I use a macro in the phone so when i get in my car, my BT connects and then the macro turns off my phone wifi and turns on the hotspot so then my Vline connects.  When i turn off my car, my BT disconnects so then my hotspot turns off with another macro command.  So with my setup, i use OEM to control phone calls via BT but with an update earlier this year, i can now continue talking and open the Vline again which wasn't possible before.  If you check the FB forums, some advise they use AA to control their calls so they may be able to give more feedback with that.  I use the microphone that came with the Vline for voice commands.  Mine also came with a VAux cable so i was able to mount a front camera with a switch which comes in handy so i watch my front lip when parking.  Image comes up nicely on the screen with the Vline and when i flick the switch, it goes back to the screen i was on so added flexibility that came in handy