IS-F unusual steering feedback at low speeds doing sharp turns

_ISF

Hi All,

Not sure if this is common among all IS-F's, but my July 2011 built IS-F (done 49,000kms) has an unusual feedback through the steering wheel when turning sharply at low speeds (eg driving around in a carpark, u turn, 3 point turns or reversing out of your driveway in the morning). This only happens at low speeds (say under 15kph) and when turning sharply. Hard to describe the feeling but it feels as if something in the front end is moving/slipping when this happens. Does not happen at any other time other than low speeds and turning sharply.

There are no knocks or noises what so ever, all suspension is stock (with the exception of Superpro LCA bushes but this feeling was present even before installing these), i have checked over everything recently while doing an oil change (all bolts are tight, no noticeable wear or damage to any bushes etc) and even had the wheels aligned and balanced about 1 month ago and asked the guys to check over anything that could cause this feeling. 

I have owned the car for close to 1 year now and about 5,000kms and this feeling has been present the whole time (didn't notice during test drive). I actually thought the Superpro LCA bushes would have fixed the issue but they did not. Just thought i would ask because it doesn't feel "right", especially not for such a new car.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What was the outcome?

A bit different to yourself but i have stock suspension on my 08 and only the last week or so i notice at low speeds reversing on full lock (carparks like yourself), i get a knocking noise from the front.  Will have to get it checked out too.  

Got the RR USRS fitted but that was over a year ago so nothing new with my setup that has caused this noise unless something has recently failed 😞

Have a look on the US forum a lot of it is call tyre skip or slide, happens with wide front tyres on full lock, don't worry if that all it is cheers.

• Like 1

OK - so others have the same feeling too. Kind of feels like you have driven over a stick or something and it slips under the tyre. 

Im no stranger to sports oriented cars (and have also driven many performance Audi's over the years as 2x of my brothers worked for them.....R8, RS4, RS5 etc etc) and never felt anything like this feeling before.

Weird.

Yep. I get this too. Running 255 Pilot Super Sport fronts and RR USRS.

I get this very early in the mornings when the temp is freezing and reversing on full lock coming out the driveway.

I haven't noticed this feeling when the tyres or temperature has warmed up.

Not sure what is contributing to this but I'm dealing with Mercedes atm with a C43 & GLC that gets this tyre skip too

• Like 1

ISF has a very extremely tight turning circle, and coupled with the very stiff, square-shouldered tyres, at full lock at low speed I think it will do funny things.  But it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with it.  My wife's IS250 has big baloony tyres and doesn't do it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just updating this thread - i recently bought 2x new front tyres, and went for the popular 245/35/19 size. This feeling in the steering at low speeds during sharp turns is drastically reduced with the new tyres.