• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Palms,

How did you go with the 18" wheels rubbing against the body?

I am still waiting for my replacement car in november, lexus was more worried about my paint issue than the tyers rubbing, i guess it will all be fixed then. I was looking at some of the new is250's in the USA that are the 06/07 models with the new fin type airial, i wonder if i will get that style.

palms

Mm good point. I'm expecting delivery of my is250 Prestige on the 20th December - been waiting a month already... I might give him a call and try to push for the newer one...

I think I will go with the Genuine Lexus ISP 18inch - comes in annodised metal (slightly darker)

Mm good point. I'm expecting delivery of my is250 Prestige on the 20th December - been waiting a month already... I might give him a call and try to push for the newer one...

I think I will go with the Genuine Lexus ISP 18inch - comes in annodised metal (slightly darker)

Hi guys,

I picked up my black is250 last week..ordered it in August,

it has 18 inch Nirvana alloys on it (also ionised/shadow)...drives great and looks great..I will try to download a few photos

Hi ozis250,

Yep, I was aware of the 225 max width on the tyre, but there are so few choices out there at the moment in terms of campatible rims, and to be honest, some of the ones that do fit look absolutely shocking and given a choice you would almost leave the 16" granny wheels that come with the car..!

The minimum offset I've been told is suitable for the car is +40 depending on the rim..you might be ok with your OZ Racing rims but I would check around just to be sure because I've been getting so many conflicting reports.....however everyone agrees that +45 offset is the correct one for the is250, so that is the offset that I've been quoting when checking out rims..

The offset for the SSW Nirvana and Advanti Fluid are both +45...I tried to get the Advanti Karla's like Palms has posted previously but some places even refused to quote me on them because they said there is no way they are compatible unless you 'roll' the guards back to make them fit...which wasn't an option for me....I think this explains why Palm's wheels rub when you turn full lock and go down driveways etc?

I am getting 225/40 R18 Bridgestone G3's on my car for performance, low road noise, durability and handling...another good reason I chose them is that the Bridgestone Tyre centre where I am buying them will rotate and balance the tyres FREE OF CHARGE every 8,000km for the life of the tyre..pretty enticing deal....I hear the G3's look awesome with the SSW Nirvana....which by the way, looks very much like the new wheels on the 07 Subaru GT-R..

What ytpe of is250 did you order ?

I ordered the Prestige with Sunroof, tint and rear sensors in Granite. I didn't bother with the enhancement pack.

Hi ozis250,

Yep, I was aware of the 225 max width on the tyre, but there are so few choices out there at the moment in terms of campatible rims, and to be honest, some of the ones that do fit look absolutely shocking and given a choice you would almost leave the 16" granny wheels that come with the car..!

The minimum offset I've been told is suitable for the car is +40 depending on the rim..you might be ok with your OZ Racing rims but I would check around just to be sure because I've been getting so many conflicting reports.....however everyone agrees that +45 offset is the correct one for the is250, so that is the offset that I've been quoting when checking out rims..

The offset for the SSW Nirvana and Advanti Fluid are both +45...I tried to get the Advanti Karla's like Palms has posted previously but some places even refused to quote me on them because they said there is no way they are compatible unless you 'roll' the guards back to make them fit...which wasn't an option for me....I think this explains why Palm's wheels rub when you turn full lock and go down driveways etc?

I am getting 225/40 R18 Bridgestone G3's on my car for performance, low road noise, durability and handling...another good reason I chose them is that the Bridgestone Tyre centre where I am buying them will rotate and balance the tyres FREE OF CHARGE every 8,000km for the life of the tyre..pretty enticing deal....I hear the G3's look awesome with the SSW Nirvana....which by the way, looks very much like the new wheels on the 07 Subaru GT-R..

I ordered the Prestige with Sunroof, tint and rear sensors in Granite. I didn't bother with the enhancement pack.

ozis250,

Rear sensors on the Prestige? Is that an option?

I havent had any of the dealers in Sydney tell me about that.

Ordered an is250 Prestige with 18" Lexus Mutispoke Wheels on Wednesday.

Would love to get Rear sensors if possible, the car looks to be difficult to reverse into a tight spot due to limited rearward view. How much are they?

Yep, Lexus of Chatswood offer rear sensors as option. For $600. But becareful as it's not the fully integrated sensors where you see the car display on the dash. It's just the beeping sound with no display. Very disappointing.

Anyway got my new car for 5 weeks now. Running 18" OZ turrismo rims with +40 Offset on 235/40r18 Dunlop D101s. No rubbing at all! Car handles significantly better when cornering (less body roll) and hardly any detriment to ride quality, only very slight more bumpy than the standard 16". Actually for the better and you feel the road and the steering seems have more feel too.

• 1 month later...

Hi ozis250,

Hi ozis250,

ozis250,

Would love to get Rear sensors if possible, the car looks to be difficult to reverse into a tight spot due to limited rearward view. How much are they?

Yep, Lexus of Chatswood offer rear sensors as option. For $600. But becareful as it's not the fully integrated sensors where you see the car display on the dash. It's just the beeping sound with no display. Very disappointing.

Anyway got my new car for 5 weeks now. Running 18" OZ turrismo rims with +40 Offset on 235/40r18 Dunlop D101s. No rubbing at all! Car handles significantly better when cornering (less body roll) and hardly any detriment to ride quality, only very slight more bumpy than the standard 16". Actually for the better and you feel the road and the steering seems have more feel too.

Hi guys,

Question for all who have purchased after market 18" alloys..

(1) how is the clearance between the wheel and front panel on yoru car ?..I have 18" SSW Nirvana alloys with Yokohama 103 Advan tyres (225/40), and there seems to be much too much daylight between both ! (about 4 inches+)...Palms, I saw your photos and it looks like the wheels sit really snug in the wheel well..I have also seen other IS250's with 18" alloys on the road and they too look great..I don't what is it with my alloys...I rang the insurer (VERO) but they won't alloyw the springs to be replaced in order to lower the body slightly. this can be done for $550 fully installed using Pedders springs)

(2) Does anyone know whether the sport suspension pack lowers the body or simply makes it a firmer ride ?...the specs on the LExus site seems to show that it doesn't lower the body...I rang Lexus but (suprisingly) they don't seem to know the answer !

hope someone replies because as much as I love my black IS250, the 18"'s still look like granny wheels and it is killing me !!

Hi ozis250,

Hi ozis250,

ozis250,

Hi guys,

Question for all who have purchased after market 18" alloys..

(1) how is the clearance between the wheel and front panel on yoru car ?..I have 18" SSW Nirvana alloys with Yokohama 103 Advan tyres (225/40), and there seems to be much too much daylight between both ! (about 4 inches+)...Palms, I saw your photos and it looks like the wheels sit really snug in the wheel well..I have also seen other IS250's with 18" alloys on the road and they too look great..I don't what is it with my alloys...I rang the insurer (VERO) but they won't alloyw the springs to be replaced in order to lower the body slightly. this can be done for $550 fully installed using Pedders springs)

(2) Does anyone know whether the sport suspension pack lowers the body or simply makes it a firmer ride ?...the specs on the LExus site seems to show that it doesn't lower the body...I rang Lexus but (suprisingly) they don't seem to know the answer !

hope someone replies because as much as I love my black IS250, the 18"'s still look like granny wheels and it is killing me !!

Your tyres are the same spec as mine 225/40's so i think maybe my pics are giving a poor indication of distance, not saying its bad but it must be the same as yours. Just a heads up mine tyres were only hitting the plastic inner wheel well not the gaurd its self.

Ok update on the rubbing of my avanti karlas, well got the new/replacement car last friday, entered the garage where it normally rubs and i hear nothing, then today went to the shopping centre to find it rubbing still. I picked up the car in the rain so i couldn't check out the the paint on my new baby so i did it when i got home to fine a dent in the passengers side door, a crazed spot on the boot and bumper bar that looks like when someone touched the paint when it was wet in production and a really bad detail to the effect that the residue from the tape that holds the plastic on the car from being shipped was still stuck on the car. Then to find that the butcher who tinted my windows cut the rubber in 2 spots on the rubber that holds the glass in. I am totally p.... off. The car is going back. I only spent 30 minute looking over it, god knows what else is to be vailed.

palms

Your tyres are the same spec as mine 225/40's so i think maybe my pics are giving a poor indication of distance, not saying its bad but it must be the same as yours. Just a heads up mine tyres were only hitting the plastic inner wheel well not the gaurd its self.

Ok update on the rubbing of my avanti karlas, well got the new/replacement car last friday, entered the garage where it normally rubs and i hear nothing, then today went to the shopping centre to find it rubbing still. I picked up the car in the rain so i couldn't check out the the paint on my new baby so i did it when i got home to fine a dent in the passengers side door, a crazed spot on the boot and bumper bar that looks like when someone touched the paint when it was wet in production and a really bad detail to the effect that the residue from the tape that holds the plastic on the car from being shipped was still stuck on the car. Then to find that the butcher who tinted my windows cut the rubber in 2 spots on the rubber that holds the glass in. I am totally p.... off. The car is going back. I only spent 30 minute looking over it, god knows what else is to be vailed.

palms

Oh man,

you seriously have the worst luck Palms. I'm sorry to hear about your issues.

My brother ordered a new MX5 coupe recently and when he went to pick it up, I told him that the dealer will most likely say "hi, just come this way and we'll sort out your paperwork then take you to your new car". I told him to not accept that, and instead to inspect WITH A MICROSCOPE the car before accepting delivery of it. Sure enough, he finds a dent in the bumper and notes it in his delivery form so that the dealer has to fix it.

Good thing he did because the dealer is now trying to weasel out of his responsibility, but my brother has him by the balls! (has it documented and signed by the dealer that they will fix the problem to his satisfaction).

Ozis250...nice wheels! :)

palms

Oh man,

you seriously have the worst luck Palms. I'm sorry to hear about your issues.

My brother ordered a new MX5 coupe recently and when he went to pick it up, I told him that the dealer will most likely say "hi, just come this way and we'll sort out your paperwork then take you to your new car". I told him to not accept that, and instead to inspect WITH A MICROSCOPE the car before accepting delivery of it. Sure enough, he finds a dent in the bumper and notes it in his delivery form so that the dealer has to fix it.

Good thing he did because the dealer is now trying to weasel out of his responsibility, but my brother has him by the balls! (has it documented and signed by the dealer that they will fix the problem to his satisfaction).

Ozis250...nice wheels! :)

Just to add to this frustrating issue, I have taken the car back to find out that they will get the dent fixed, fix the rubber which is not an issue but with the paint issue on the boot they tried to get me pay half of the detailing, mind you I asked for a guy who knows his stuff, remember the car not been detailed so I wanted it done right as it should have in the first place. I said a big no way of paying half and could’nt believe they have the nerve to ask, they would not budge so we agreed on their detailer, I was thinking lets give them a chance. Well guess what, when I asked the detailer the type of buffer he was going to use he looked at me like he had no idea what I was on about so I started to panic inside, I showed him the area of concern and he said I can't fix that, so off we went back the manager and he rang the guy I asked for in the first place and said this will come out of his pocket, like hello so it should. Did I do something wrong in a past life god, if so im sorry ok leave me alone 

palms

Just to add to this frustrating issue, I have taken the car back to find out that they will get the dent fixed, fix the rubber which is not an issue but with the paint issue on the boot they tried to get me pay half of the detailing, mind you I asked for a guy who knows his stuff, remember the car not been detailed so I wanted it done right as it should have in the first place. I said a big no way of paying half and could’nt believe they have the nerve to ask, they would not budge so we agreed on their detailer, I was thinking lets give them a chance. Well guess what, when I asked the detailer the type of buffer he was going to use he looked at me like he had no idea what I was on about so I started to panic inside, I showed him the area of concern and he said I can't fix that, so off we went back the manager and he rang the guy I asked for in the first place and said this will come out of his pocket, like hello so it should. Did I do something wrong in a past life god, if so im sorry ok leave me alone 

palms

Palms,

Clearly you have p~ssed off the Lexus gods! You need to go out and steal the badge off a 3 series BMW and then burn it as an offering!!

palms

Palms,

Clearly you have p~ssed off the Lexus gods! You need to go out and steal the badge off a 3 series BMW and then burn it as an offering!!

I agree!...but thanks for your feedback anyway Palms.. I would be interested in seeing a few more photos of your wheels if you have some..I saw a few on this site previously but I can't find them again.

Also, I think my issue could be the offset..which is 45+ on my SSW Nirvana's..I was told that 40+ offset wil be fine, and if so, the wheels would sit almost flush with the car body. (my wheels sit inside the fender because of the offset)..any thoughts guys ?

PS, if you are wondering what I am doing posting on Christmas Day...we were due to go to a big BBQ but my wife fell ill, so I am sitting at home drinking wine and feeling pretty sorry for myself...hope you're all enjoying yourselves..Merry christmas

• 4 weeks later...

ok guys i am back with the latest.

The car is almost fixed, after almost 2 months of getting the car all it needs a small detail to get some swirls out then its should be 100%.

With my issue with the tyres rubbing, i quoted i had 225/40 all round but made a mistake, i had 235/40's. This is what was making the tryes rub in the front so i had some 225/40's put on the front and problems fixed. The chart below is of the sports is250 with it's dimentions, as you can see there are different sizes so having 18's is not an issue with the prestige. I only got 18x8's not a mix like in the chart. I took it for a drive up the f3 and boy this car really sits well on the road and great for overtaking when you need to moved in a hurry.

Some pics

sideviewmagspk7.th.jpg

sideviewmags3vt1.th.jpg

front9yv.th.jpg

TYRES & RIMS IS250 Sports - 4 Door Sedan - 6 Speed Automatic

Front Tyre size 225/40 R18

Rear Tyre size 255/40 R18

Front Rim size 18 x 8J

Rear Rim size 18 x 8.5J

palms

ok guys i am back with the latest.

The car is almost fixed, after almost 2 months of getting the car all it needs a small detail to get some swirls out then its should be 100%.

With my issue with the tyres rubbing, i quoted i had 225/40 all round but made a mistake, i had 235/40's. This is what was making the tryes rub in the front so i had some 225/40's put on the front and problems fixed. The chart below is of the sports is250 with it's dimentions, as you can see there are different sizes so having 18's is not an issue with the prestige. I only got 18x8's not a mix like in the chart. I took it for a drive up the f3 and boy this car really sits well on the road and great for overtaking when you need to moved in a hurry.

Some pics

sideviewmagspk7.th.jpg

sideviewmags3vt1.th.jpg

frontng1.th.jpg

Front Rim size 18 x 8J

Rear Rim size 18 x 8.5J

palms

Great looking wheels Palms..glad that you're back on the road.!......I am uploading some photos of my is250 setup to post in the next few days and will be keen to see what yuou think of my wheels

I also had a few issues with my is250 of late, although not as bad (not even close) as yours: (1) my drivers seat was qsueaking like crazy every time I went around a corner (2) the sunroof would not close.....they were both fixed by Lexus very quickly but it suprised me that they happened in the first place, given the apparent quality of build in the brand.

For those of you who might experience the sunroof problem (which Lexus have told me is quite common with the is250), all you need to do is rotate the sunroof dial to 'close' position then press for at least 25-30 seconds..the sunroof will eventually trigger and reset itself by opening then closing all the way...apparently it is a low voltage issue that causes the chip to lose memory, hence the roof forgets how to close !!

How much did you pay for the wheels and tyres?

The dealer told me that only a couple of tyre makers (Brands) have the specs that would fit the lexus 18s. True or false?

If you have the same tyres all round then i think there are only some types of mags you can use. Remember the sports luxury has different sizes front to back as per that chart i posted.

Front Rim size 18 x 8J

Rear Rim size 18 x 8.5J

Some people have posted what is needed in regards to correct tyres in this subject, in a post way back a guy said a tyre place said no way to using the karlas (my mags) but as i stated they do fit when using 225's on the front to stop the rubbing.

palms

The dealer told me that only a couple of tyre makers (Brands) have the specs that would fit the lexus 18s. True or false?

The mags and tyres were thrown in when i did the deal :)

The mags and tyres were thrown in when i did the deal :)

My car has 18 x 7.5 (225/40) SSW Nirvana Alloys and Yokohama tyres..like Palms, I negotiated a reduction in price to accomodate the tyres..the tyres/rim package was approx $2,400

are these your mags, also does the lexus centre cap fit into the mag? mine does...

imsswnirvana125x150bw7.jpg

if so they look nice

I am trying to find the best way to keep them clean mainly the front with the brake dust. I did see someone say put wax on them which i tried but didnt see any difference.

palms

That looks ALOT like BMW wheels...but i'm not sure they'd look good on our cars.

i disagree it looks like the BMW, i did a search on the BMW's series, mmm i didn't see what you saw.. It really comes down to the person who owns the car, me at 42 i like a classy look to a younger fast look.

palms

I've got factory 18s on order from the States - picked up 4 genuine Sports rims (2 x 18/8, 2 x 18/8.5) for $599.00 US - look on ebay. :)

Plenty more available, and in my opinion the car doesn't look any good riding on dodgy rims that are the wrong size.