Hey Guys,

Just some "beginners guide to washing my altezza" questions.....

Is it normal to have alot of black dusty/powder (coming from my wheels I think), that manages to get my car dirty all the time?!?! :huh:

I brought some "Mothers" car wash and bottle of Mothers wax. My great intentions to wash my new car twice a week has somehow dropped back to once a week (yes, some people told me so!!! hehe) :) Is there a general rule as to how often I should wax my car??

Also, last cleaning question... is there a specific product on the market that I should use to clean my exhaust pipe and mags? (At the moment they both just get a general wash with the rest of the car.) The mags, being black, dont show up the dirt as much as I imagine the silver ones would?!? I've seen nice shiny exhaust pipes on other cars, so want to know if mine should look like that too! :)

Hey Guys,

Is it normal to have alot of black dusty/powder (coming from my wheels I think), that manages to get my car dirty all the time?!?!  :huh:

Depends on how hard you drive it!!! :o If I have a week when I'm feeling a bit on the fast side (this weekend for example, Aus F1) therefore braking heavy, then my mags dust-up something shocking.....particularly the front ones. I just use Armour All car wash with a soft brush on them.....

Hi :

Regard to the exhaust pipe. If u have shinny stainless steel finish, then after u wash it, u can use metal polish to bring out the shine and get rid of the water spots, tar,...

if urs is factory pipe and is pre 2002 model, I think u wont have the stainless steel shinny finish.

Cheers!

SSML

I brought some "Mothers" car wash and bottle of Mothers wax. My great intentions to wash my new car twice a week has somehow dropped back to once a week (yes, some people told me so!!! hehe) smile.gif Is there a general rule as to how often I should wax my car??

Mothers is my preferred choice, probably because its all I have ever used.

soon the washing will drop back to once a month :D

with the waxing it really depends on how often you want to do it I guess.

Like Matt said it rains here nearly every second day so I dont put to much effort into it, I will only wash and dry it.

When going out to impress I will use the full mothers system, Wash and dry, Pre wax clean which removes old wax etc, seal and glaze which "adds depth and shine", then finally Wax. The whole system takes me about 2.5 hours and is very tiring but the resullts are worth it. :)

Hey Altezza_Grl,

If you want no mess with your wheels just spray wheel cleaner spray, and leave for several min, per each wheel. Then hose off; it works wonders and so ez (I use Prestone wheel cleaner spray but any would do).

I have silver wheels though, but even with black ones, gets rid of all the brake dust for you :)

Just a note that if you want your wheels more shiny and are a fanatic like me and then try to use a sponge to scrape mags clean, use some rubber gloves to save your delicate skin, as the spray is very aggressive on the hands...

"Carwash, in the carwash - yeah..." ... happy washing ;)

I also use Mothers and I have never waxed the vehicle and owned it just over 12 months! if you wash reguarly and use a quality car wash brand, as long as your car doesnt get to dirty I wouldnt worry about waxing it to often. But it does help you to maintain pride in your car :)

Hi Altezza girl

Another tip I've picked up is the water temperature. I belong to a biker forum, and they swear by only using cold or room temperature water to clean the paintwork on their bikes, eg do not use warm or hot water, as it can potentially soften the paint over the long term (leading to easier scratching etc).

I don't know how true this is, but figure hey what the hell...so I only use cold water now.

B)

If the dust depends on how hard I’m driving it, then by the amount of powder coming off, I must be doing ok! Manual is a breeze now! I’m not sure why I ever considered getting another automatic, manual is just so much fun!!!

I know its not a factory pipe [thanks to impromptu Altezza Inspection by Matt and Aaron in Mission Bay one night] :), so might give it a bit of a polish and see what happens!

I’m always a fanatic, and manage to impress with my bright yellow car, without even trying!!!! :) I just wish I could have it as clean as the car yard guys had it looking!!!

With all this rain, I could see the washing possibly dropping back to every second week over winter [and cold water it is then], but once a month…… not just yet!!! :) hehe

Cheers guys for the advice! Have a great weekend!!!

I wash the car twice a week, sometimes 3. I don't care if its raining . . i sometimes wash the car in the da rain :P

I'm with Matt on this one. I also use Merguirs (Softwash Gel). I also use Merguirs Wet Look Polish, but i haven't used it yet on the tezza as its in the panel shop every second week :angry:

Dry your car with only the best soft towels money can buy. Leaving water on the car wil make make water spots.

find some pages with lots of printing in them, cuz the ink contains some oil or grease or whatever in it, and it makes the windows shiny

don't worry about any glass cleaners if you're using newspaper, just use water, as the result is just as good..!

give it a go!

Jason

Down like a clown with News Paper window cleaning thing

my Oma(gran) let me in on its hidden powers years ago.

As for cold water...it seems to do the trick

Silver cars are the *BLEEP* I only clean my car every two weeks

or so as it stays looking clean..

Man you cats are nasty, every 3 weeks ? WTF ??? you guys need to stop embarrassing ur tezza on the road.

listen up, Merguirs is it, they make all the cleaning product u want. Wax, Polish, Wash, Tyre, they got it. and they do work. trust me

Now u Wax and polish once per week (i got a black car, hardest to keep clean i know) and u wash as often as that sucker gets dirty. u got a body kit on ? that will keep the dirt down a bit. so with the body kit, twice per week will do you, without, is like 3 times per week.

Wash ur engine and spray that sucker with sheen. the same thing those guys do at the car wash is what u can do at home. all u need is some degreaser.

Now make every tezza out there proud (cept the nast ones..u cats need a ass whupping)