Light Flywheel

Hi all! i've a question about flywheels: is it beneficial to install a lightweight flywheel against the stock clutch? or is it even possible at all? i have both a Jun lightweight flywheel and a TRD clutch, but due to my crappy leg, i can't have a heavy clutch pedal right now. so, would installing the lightweight flywheel help with my altezza's pickup speed? is it compatible with the stock clutch?? i have no idea?? thanks guys!

oh yeah, another thing is, would installing a performance exhaust system like the Tom's exhaust be equal in performance gain like the flywheel?? i guess i'm looking for better throttle response, better pickup, rather than higher top speed. thanks again!

p.s.: oh, i apologize if this has been brought up before, but i can't seem to find any specific info regarding a performance flywheel against the stock clutch.

The stock clutch/flywheel setup should be completely different to an aftermarket replacement unit.

Stock setup is a dual-mass (two piece) flywheel carrying the anti-shock springs and a solid clutch plate. This is a large part of the reason it weighs 31lb instead of 18lb!

Ordinary setups have a one-piece flywheel and a two-piece clutch plate carrying the anti-shock springs.

Do a web search for dual-mass flywheel and you will find a couple of exploded diagrams.

See if the Jun flywheel is an ordinary one-piece disc of steel turned on a lathe, in which case it will not take the Toyota clutch plate.

Anyway, a lightweight flywheel will make NO difference to your acceleration, it will just make the engine rev up and slow down faster when it has no load on. (in neutral) Saving 15lbs on the weight of the whole car won't be noticed.. :P

So you'll be much better installing a mid-range tuned exhaust, from manifold to muffler for more low & mid-range power. (the hardest power to get!)

Anyway, a lightweight flywheel will make NO difference to your acceleration, it will just make the engine rev up and slow down faster when it has no load on. (in neutral) Saving 15lbs on the weight of the whole car won't be noticed.. :P

I dont agree with you on this man, the lightened fly-wheel bound to affect how much power u put to the wheels man. i did the flywheel/clutch/gearbox swap and it was a hel lof a difference, night and day if you asked me !! or probably i just over- feeling my tezza :unsure: :D :D

i recommend u get the TRD clutch man, i got one in tezza. my mechanic drove the car and said it didnt feel like a performance clutch to him (yet he couldnt tell me why i launch way ahead of more highly modified cars than mine) cause it wasnt grabbing as much as a performance clutch. but he wasnt used to that clutch. u see the clutch literally feels like stock and does its performance work. cause i have no problem gripping/launching from the line. and i can drive around in traffic and dont feel like i am pumping a steel clutch

OK Wieyne, that surprises me. Where abouts are you, 'cos if you're in Auckland I'd love to try it.

As far as I know, it soaks up a few bhp to spin the flywheel up, so the lighter the better, but it is a tiny weight compared to the whole car.

Anyone else got a light flywheel?

keith

Well my next mod is out of the hat then. Waiting on a toda flywheel clutch kit. I agree that it does make a substantial difference to the power also. It is supposed to be one of the best upgrades to do on the altezza and Ive been told I will definately notice the difference! It is supposed to give it more responce as the standard flywheel is around 10lbs and aftermarket around 5-7 depending on what you get. That less weight gives more power!!!

Can let you know in about two weeks!!

hi, thanks for the replies, i'm not technical at all, but i read somewhere that because of the proximity from the flywheel to the engine, a pound off it actually translates to 100lbs, or at least a multitude of the weight taken off the flywheel.

anyway, wouldn't a "better" flywheel help transfer more % of power to the wheels? :huh::huh:

all that physics i learnt from uni comes into play, moment of inertia.

the heavier somethin is, the more power is needed to spin it up.

can't remember which equation to do it, but if you put all the numbers in, it does make a huge difference in the power required to spin it up

so using the same amount of power from the engine to spin up the fly wheel, the lightened flywheel will spin up faster than the stock fly wheel, putting less load on the engine... i guess this means more power at the wheels, but same power output from the engine

a better fly wheel? i guess so, yea, lighter it is, more power goes to the wheels instead of spining it up

same goes with lightened alloy wheels

sorry for being a geek :rolleyes:

Jason

• 3 months later...

so can anyone confirm that an rs200 lighter aftermarket flywheel is a direct replacement for the is200.. and vice versa.

or are we talking about stock flywheels that are interchangeable.

err disregard this post

Edited by Serran

Anything that lowers the rotating mas will make a great difference to kw at the wheels.

However they dont increase horses at the engine. rather decrease losses of horses from the engine to the rears.

Try a carbon fibre drive shaft, lightened flywheel and racing clutch.

confirmed:

JUN make the only flywheel for the gxe10.

TRD Altezza clutch (and others) can be used for the is200.

hope that helps :D

ps. I am sorting out a groupbuy from the uk on the JUN flywheel via one of the suppliers in uk forums.. if you guys want in.. raise your hands now or wait for a long time afterwards lol

could wait probably another 2 weeks to see who is interested.

matt (frylai) is the guy to see for the clutch

serious buyers only.

Edited by Serran

I've been quoted $1500 for TRD Flywheel,clutch cover and clutch. waiting on Matt to get back to me. Did you find it performance enhanching. I'm also looking at a set of header's but the price's i've gotten so far are scarey :blink: <_<