I wonder what brought about the change. BMW and Merc announced their pricing on, respectively, the M3 sedan and the C63 AMG a long time before Lexus predicted the $150k sticker. I know there was some press about Lexus Aus going back to Japan and asking them to consider a more competitive price, but hadn't heard any more on it.

Well, gotta admit, just reading that little snippet and reminding myself about the 300odd kw out of that little power house in that small a#$ body definately has well and truely re-ignited my interest. If its RRP is $129k, wonder how much movement they will have to play with!!! 10k?? I reakon more!!

LDC, sorry brother, you wouldn't want a 6speed manual if you got an 8speed that up shifts so damn quick!!! Don't think I could match it!! (.1sec) Twoohhh!!! ;)

Korvan, got some spare cash for me mate!!! :D

Manual also weighs less. I don't know i just think the auto isn't made for sporty driving.

Try telling that to all the Porsche Touring drivers getting better launches and doing faster lap times out of the new PDK...

The IS-F looks like an awesome car and a great addition to the range....but where's the IS350 ? It's a car I reckon Lexus Oz need, even if the price means it eats into GS300 sales.

Manual also weighs less. I don't know i just think the auto isn't made for sporty driving.

Try telling that to all the Porsche Touring drivers getting better launches and doing faster lap times out of the new PDK...

Porches have their hands full with figuring out how to keep up with the new GTR.

BMW in their new M3 have gone back to manual from factory SMG (manual was an option) after public outcry. No one say anything bad about the SMG, just that they all wanted the conventional manual to be standard, rather than optional. I think the IS-F should be manual with auto as optional.

Porches have their hands full with figuring out how to keep up with the new GTR.

BMW in their new M3 have gone back to manual from factory SMG (manual was an option) after public outcry. No one say anything bad about the SMG, just that they all wanted the conventional manual to be standard, rather than optional. I think the IS-F should be manual with auto as optional.

Sorry to rain on your parade but new BMW M3 is available in both manual and SMG options. The 6 speed manual is always released first from memory.

The SMG was released about 2 months ago so it should be in the showrooms already. Having driven both I would take an SMG over the manual anyday.

In regards to the IS-F with a gear change time almost equal to an F1 car why would you need a manual for? If your greatest concern when you're driving an IS-F is what to do with your left arm and leg, I daresay the IS-F may not be the car for you.

hey guys,

I'm back from a visit to Japan where I got to sit inside an ISF and play around with it (in a showroom). How cool is that!

Even more cool, is the fact that I did the same with the new Nissan GTR.

Back to the topic:

I would love to see an IS350 in Australia, and would very seriously buy one if it were available. I love almost everything about the IS250 (with a few notable exceptions - like crap rear leg room, the "hand"brake, and that middle back seat) but just wish there was more power available. The IS350 goes 0-100Km/h in the mid 5's, which is plenty fast for me.

In the absence of the IS350, and if I want to keep all the cool things I love about my car, I have to consider the ISF, which admittedly is a harder faster car, but I reckon the nice clean lines of the car have been corrupted. That bulging bonnet and bumper, plus the quad tailpipes that aren't connected to the actual exhaust kinda make the car a bit ricey for my tastes. Plus, much as I would love to, let's face it. You really can't drive that fast in Sydney streets anyway (not whilst retaining yourl licence!).

As to the Auto vs Manual debate:

I like to drive a manual, but again, given the amount of in-traffic driving I do, an auto makes more sense. These days, the auto's actually have better fuel economy than an manual AND can shift gears faster. I really like the auto box in my IS250, as it gives me the best of both worlds. It blips the throttle on downshifts, holds the gear to the redline (although I don't have full control as I can select a higher gear and it may decide to hold onto the lower one...that's annoying). I actually get almost the same degree of fun from shifting my IS250 via paddles that I do with a conventional manual. Then when I am in traffic, I just shift it back into Drive and turn off my brain.

The E46 manual are rare. I have only encountered SMGs with the E46 (and rarely 6sp). That reason i am lead to believe the 6sp was an option rather than standard but i guess both could have been made available from factory upon ordering at purchase.

As for the E92, if SMG was only released 2 months ago, that would made the first batch of E92 with standard manual.

I too have driven both SMG and 6sp E46 M3s and i prefer manual. In heavy traffic SMG but SMG is hard to drive/ park if you're not used to it.

I will not be able to afford either IS-F or M3 but if i can and will get one, i'll get manual, just want the feel of manual shifting the old fashion way. Speed isn't everything but with these cars you need to be with them in the mind, body and soul.

The E46 manual are rare. I have only encountered SMGs with the E46. That reason i am lead to believe the 6sp was an option rather than standard but i guess both could have been made available from factory upon ordering at purchase.

As for the E92, if SMG was only released 2 months ago, that would made the first batch of E92 with standard manual.

I too have driving both SMG and 6sp E46 M3s and i prefer manual. In heavy traffic SMG but SMG is hard to drive/ park if you're not used to it.

I will not be able to afford either IS-F or M3 but if i can and will get one, i'll get manual, just want the feel of manual shifting the old fashion way. Speed isn't everything but with these cars you need to be with them in the mind, body and soul.

Fair enough ldc. I don't disagree with your view. I do like to thrash my brother's manual MX-5 and fiancee's manual Celica for precisely that reason. Although, I dare say that a lot of people who would look to get a sports sedan like an M3, C63, RS4 or ISF are looking for a car that combines sportiness plus have a degree of practicality, which makes the Auto or SMG option look more attractive. I spend too much of my time in peak-hour traffic...doh!

If someone were to give me any of those cars in manual form, I wouldn't say "no", but if I were to buy one...it would be an auto.