Blackberry Bluetooth Music Gateway For Your Iphone?

I was checking options for audio/aux compatibility for my iPhone when I found this little gem:

The "how to" is covered here: http://is-250.blogspot.com/p/music-streaming-using-bluetooth-a2dp.html

So, I have bought the Blackberry Bluetooth Music Gateway and a car charger for $107 online, and should have it just after Australia Day.

My colleague Dan is picking one up today from out near Silverwater in Sydney.

Has anyone else tried this set up?

It looks insanely easy to install and by the look of the video, also easy to operate.

Works in conjucntion with phone.

Uses steering wheel controls.

If this works, for $107 every one should have one!

I'll update once mine arrives, or I'm sure that Dan will add detail if he did pick his up today.....

==>> See my review a few posts down <<==

This unit is awesome for $107!!!

Certainly hope the quality is decent. I used to pair my N95 to the Alpine head unit in my last car and the audio quality was terrible compared to CD or proper iPod connection.

So, I have bought the Blackberry Bluetooth Music Gateway and a car charger for $107 online, and should have it just after Australia Day.

My colleague Dan is picking one up today from out near Silverwater in Sydney.

Where abouts in silverwater. and where online did uyou get yours im very interested in this setup.

The only thing i dont get is how it conects to the phone kit and the blackberry kit at the same time? is the bluetooth in the new phones (ie iphone) multi talented ?

Okay, so the blacktooth unit arrived today (Blackberry bluetooth).

The unit itself is about the size of a matchbox, only slimmer.

Comes with AUX cord, and I ordered the USB/Micro USB car charger adaptor.

Here is how hard it is to install:

Plug unit in to Aux and power.

Switch iPhone Bluetooth on

Turn on the car.

iPhone discovers Blacktooth - Enter 0000 to pair.

You are now ready to roll!

Set audio to Aux and start playing your iPhone music library.

THIS IS THE AWESOME!!!!

About 3 minutes in to me driving and enjoying the ease of use of the set up, my phone rings......

Music stops.

Have conversation on the IS250 handsfree audio through the audio system. ***(See note and end on bluetooth)

Finish conversation.

Music starts again.

AWESOME!!!

Stop car.

Music pauses, so you don't have to manually stop it.

AWESOME!!!

Get in to car with earphones plugged in to the iPhone.

Start car.

Music starts playing on audio system.

AWESOME!!!

Sound control via steering wheel.

Track control still via iPhone, so you'd need a mounting plate if you want to see the tracks you're playing etc.

Sound quality seems ok too.

*** The iPhone can have multiple bluetooth connections, so you have your IS "Hands Free" connected at the same time as your blackberry bluetooth.

AWESOME!!!

Did I mention how AWESOME!!! this is for $107?

• 1 month later...

Hey mate,

This is great! i will definitely be getting one for my IS250.

One question, what controls do you have with this setup. I have an iPhone and just wanted to know whether i can change albums or is it just to change songs. Either way if this things works for me that is AWESOME! Using a normal AUX audio cable and changing songs through your phone is very dangerous and also very very annoying...

The benefits of forums!!!!! u find out anything....:))))

Thanks everyone...

DZ

Hey mate,

One question, what controls do you have with this setup. I have an iPhone and just wanted to know whether i can change albums or is it just to change songs. Either way if this things works for me that is AWESOME! Using a normal AUX audio cable and changing songs through your phone is very dangerous and also very very annoying...

Thanks everyone...

DZ

From what I understand you can't change tracks or albums unless you use the iphone. The controls for volume on the steering wheel work as normal though.

Is anything else needed to get video streaming working?? Or does this entire $107 setup cover video too??

Hey mate,

Thanks everyone...

DZ

From what I understand you can't change tracks or albums unless you use the iphone. The controls for volume on the steering wheel work as normal though.

Is anything else needed to get video streaming working?? Or does this entire $107 setup cover video too??

I am pretty sure that you can change track by what ppl have been saying otherwise it would be a total waste of money since the AUX cable does the same thing...

no you cant change the track with the car. just the volume. watch the vids man.

not sure about the video output.. there was another cable in the box but in the excitement i dont remember what it was.

Oops my bad...you r right LEX51S..only volume can be changed...

Wishfull thinking...i believe on my behalf...

Personally, waste of money...u r paying $100+ for just having it wireless.

$5 AUX cable does the same job only negative you have a cable...would rather save the money and put it towards a VAIS MultiMediaLinQ - High-End Digital Audio Interface Adapter installed.

its just basically great convenience being wireless. and pauses when you switch car off and continues when you start the car. cable doesnt..

each to thier own but i like the convenience and awesomeness of wireless i think its cool.

my self i cant comment on the VAIS MultiMediaLinQ - High-End Digital Audio Interface Adapter. i dont know?!?!?!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I found an alternative if people don't want to fork out for the Blackberry unit.

About $21 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bluetooth-Headset-Audio-Receiver-Stereo-A2DP-Dongle-/180602269401?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item2a0cbbeed9#ht_2918wt_906

The only thing is you have to press the button on it to start it up each time you get in the car.. but for the price saving I guess it's not that much of a hassle to me to press a button.

The blackberry one auto starts up and you don't even have to touch it at all when you start the car right?

• 7 months later...

hey everyone

another quick solution while stocks last, Aldi is selling a bluetooth transmitter/receiver similar to the above for $30. Came out last week so you need to be quick. i am using it in my car and its awesome for a cheap solution.

Link: http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_19405.htm

disadvantage: you must turn it on when you jump in the car and it is a rechargable battery (lasts up to 11hrs) (not sure if i can keep it on charge, will try and report back)

I have tried a similar product from ebay and I'm getting notable noise possibly from a switch mode power supply in the actual 12V connector as it stepped down to 5V (don't quote me on this one though).

These ebay products work great directly from battery, but if you are running from external power, then it's not so great. Interestingly, powering one of them using the apple's ipod charger didn't show too much noise. I guess the output of the ipod charger is a bit cleaner. I suppose if you put a capacitor through the supply voltage, the noise might be less severe.

Anyway, can you still find the Blackberry one for sale? I have been searching forever for it and I can't find it since it's a discontinued item apparently. I had to settle for a cheapo A2DP clip which took apart and mounted inside an ipod dock just for fun. I would gladly pay $100 since it actually connects automatically to your phone when you start it up (rather than having to 'connect' to it like the Belkin Aircast and most other bluetooth receivers).