Howto: Hack The Nav/dvd To Use While Driving

TESTED ON: 2007 IS250 Sports with enhancement pack

SUCCESSFUL/FAILURE: Success

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: hard

INTRODUCTION

This article has simply been created so that members here can access this information without having to hunt around other sites. The original articles can be found on the clublexus forums, located at:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193739

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showpost.p...mp;postcount=44

If these links stop working at any point, the content of the posts are attached here in PDF form.

Lexus_IS250_ML_DVD_Nav_Hack.pdf

Lexus_Nav_DVD_wiring_information.pdf

IMPLEMENTATION NOTES

Ultimately, my implementation of this hack was a mix of the information from both articles. I can now do the following:

- watch DVDs while driving

- use full audio controls while driving

- use full telephone functionality while driving

- engage additional switch to temporarily disconnect vehicle speed sensor (VSS) from nav unit

Note that the last point is only partially effective, as the nav unit still receives GPS co-ordinates regardless. If I am driving at around 50kph or slower, I can generally interact with the nav unit. Additionally, while the switch disconnects the VSS, the car's plotted location can become quite jumpy, as the nav unit is entirely relying on GPS co-ordinates. When re-enabling the VSS (ie: disengaging the switch) it can take up to 30 seconds for the nav unit to re-plot my location accurately.

Finally, when connecting the wiring as documented, consider using additional lengths of wire with opposing bullet joiners, mixed correctly (female vs male) so that you can easily remove the additional lengths and rejoin the original wires together with very little fuss.

WARNINGS/CAVEATS

- be careful in particular with the removal of the air vents above -- it takes patience and time, and not violent leverage with a big-arse screwdriver

- if you're not confident in disassembling parts of your car, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!

- IANAL, but I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that this will at least void the warranty on your nav/entertainment system

- if you're not confident in disassembling parts of your car, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!

- see my other posts on the subject: I am not condoning the breaking of any laws but I do believe that, as adults, we have the right to make the choice

• 3 weeks later...

INTRODUCTION

This article has simply been created so that members here can access this information without having to hunt around other sites. The original articles can be found on the clublexus forums, located at:

If these links stop working at any point, the content of the posts are attached here in PDF form.

IMPLEMENTATION NOTES

Ultimately, my implementation of this hack was a mix of the information from both articles. I can now do the following:

- engage additional switch to temporarily disconnect vehicle speed sensor (VSS) from nav unit

Note that the last point is only partially effective, as the nav unit still receives GPS co-ordinates regardless. If I am driving at around 50kph or slower, I can generally interact with the nav unit. Additionally, while the switch disconnects the VSS, the car's plotted location can become quite jumpy, as the nav unit is entirely relying on GPS co-ordinates. When re-enabling the VSS (ie: disengaging the switch) it can take up to 30 seconds for the nav unit to re-plot my location accurately.

Finally, when connecting the wiring as documented, consider using additional lengths of wire with opposing bullet joiners, mixed correctly (female vs male) so that you can easily remove the additional lengths and rejoin the original wires together with very little fuss.

WARNINGS/CAVEATS

- be careful in particular with the removal of the air vents above -- it takes patience and time, and not violent leverage with a big-arse screwdriver

- IANAL, but I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that this will at least void the warranty on your nav/entertainment system

- see my other posts on the subject: I am not condoning the breaking of any laws but I do believe that, as adults, we have the right to make the choice

pic of dvd hack!post-2533-1220692851_thumb.jpg

Great post! I've done this hack on the first month when I got the car, funny I don't watch DVDs when I'm driving though. ;)

I don't watch DVDs while driving, but you can't beat playing Metallica's S&M DVD in full surround while driving...

Great post! I've done this hack on the first month when I got the car, funny I don't watch DVDs when I'm driving though. ;)

I don't watch DVDs while driving, but you can't beat playing Metallica's S&M DVD in full surround while driving...

So true, never thought of that one :P

Hi Guys,

Has anyone managed to burn that hybrid dvd for the nav overide?....

I tried a few times but it didnt work....it then occured to me that maybe i just insert the old version disk (v12) into the system. turns out the dvd loads up but you cant do the volume/overide...so my conclusion is that it doesnt matter if you burn a new dvd with the old loading.kwi file, its the system itself...

I have a camery 06 and a lexus 08, the camry Denso system is version 1610 and the lexus is 16b2, two different systems...

you can do the diagnostics trick on the camry as well and it comes up exactly the same as the Lexus...no buttons missing or added, exactly the same.....so with that said i think that you would need an older version of the Denso Nav system for the overide to work.

if anyone experienced different and has got this to work please let me know, i am happy to supply both versons of the disk if you feel it would help....

Hi Guys,

Has anyone managed to burn that hybrid dvd for the nav overide?....

I tried a few times but it didnt work....it then occured to me that maybe i just insert the old version disk (v12) into the system. turns out the dvd loads up but you cant do the volume/overide...so my conclusion is that it doesnt matter if you burn a new dvd with the old loading.kwi file, its the system itself...

I have a camery 06 and a lexus 08, the camry Denso system is version 1610 and the lexus is 16b2, two different systems...

you can do the diagnostics trick on the camry as well and it comes up exactly the same as the Lexus...no buttons missing or added, exactly the same.....so with that said i think that you would need an older version of the Denso Nav system for the overide to work.

if anyone experienced different and has got this to work please let me know, i am happy to supply both versons of the disk if you feel it would help....

Hi mate,

Sorry, I have been too busy with work to even think about this.... :( Its even been difficult to check this forum!!! How sad is that!!

Im hoping to free some time up soon and I will have a play! I haven't even had a chance to explore my version14 yet. How big is the loader file?? Was it yourself that questioned about the down grade procedure?? I haven't checked to see if the fuse labelling has changed in the '08 models, but I would assume the concept is the same. Did you remove the power from the unit at all?? Generally speaking, a device needs to be put in a ready state so to speak in order for it to take a firmware change. Maybe they have changed it from the earlier models, but I really don't think so!!!

• 4 weeks later...

INTRODUCTION

IMPLEMENTATION NOTES

WARNINGS/CAVEATS

pic of dvd hack!post-2533-1220692851_thumb.jpg

Will this hack work for a 2008 RX350 Sports Luxury?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I bumped into someone yesterday who told me that they had a DVD and NAV equipped Lexus (RX350) and had actually requested with the service centre that they modify it so that he could use it whilst driving. The service centre swapped out a particular circuit board and he now can play DVD's and use his NAV whilst driving. It cost a couple of hundred dollars, and he had to sign a bunch of disclaimers, but given that it has been done by a Lexus service centre, you won't have any warranty issues. I might take my car to that service centre and ask the service manager about it.

The service centre was the Chatswood Lexus one.

• 2 months later...
is there a trick with the four tabs above the vents. I'm stuck at that part and can't seem to pry that part down and get the vent frame out. any advice? :)

Hi Taniner,

No real trick, just really "fiddleeeyyy"!I had a play around with this a while ago when I was starting to investigate a "removable P/J method" for this hack.

Are you feeling the tabs almost click as you bias them down/in?? What are you using to lever the frame out?? I used a plastic drawer divider that was about 1.5mm thick. I "sharpened" the leading edge so that it could slip in quite easily yet still was a little rigid.

I must admit, it did feel as if it were going to fatigue a bit so I ensured that I put more pressure on the dash in order to get a better bite.

Let us know if you still have hassles.

Success at last! I managed to do the DVD/phone hack on my wife's 2007 RX350. Instructions and wiring are different to the IS. Will post to the RX forums in the next day or so, and link to that thread in this one.

Nice work Korvan! I guess if anyone was going to do it, it was going to be you!

Did you say that you followed some instruction or did you just work it out yourself?

Well done again mate & please do post your findings. I do have friends thats would love to know!!

Nice work Korvan! I guess if anyone was going to do it, it was going to be you!

Did you say that you followed some instruction or did you just work it out yourself?

Well done again mate & please do post your findings. I do have friends thats would love to know!!

OK - here it is. I can't post attachments in the RX forums, so I'll have to do it here.

Firstly, thanks (and credit) goes to the OPs of these two threads:

RX bluetooth wiring hack

RX radio/display removal instructions

The picture from the 1st thread is attached here: post-2651-1232571427_thumb.jpg

Here's a PDF using most of the 2nd thread's content, with some minor modifications to suit the purpose of the hack: Removing_RX_radio___display_units.pdf

The only thing to remember is that the wire color for the VSS cable may not be the same as that mentioned in the first thread's diagram. The diagram says that the VSS cable in pin 20 should be red. On my wife's 2007 RX350, it was brown (red was in use elsewhere). Regardless, go by pin positions, not wire colours.

Also, consider how you're going to tap the ground wire before you start. For me, I stripped the wires, joined the two plug-side wires together and crimped a bullet connector to each "half". There's not a lot of slack in the wire, so the extra length afforded by the bullet connector came in very handy.

This job was much more straightforward than the IS250 hack, and took me about 20-30mins to complete. Any problems, PM me and I'll try and assist.

• 1 month later...

For the IS250 dvd hack, I was reading the two pdfs and it says "Plug K46, Closest to driver"

It seems like these pics are of a left hand drive IS. For the aussie drivers, is it still the plug closest to driver or is it now furthest from driver (for right hand drive ISs).

I'm going to give this a go soon but just wanna make sure I'm well prepared.

Another thing, has anybody tried removing the unit on a manual IS? If so, any guides?

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers.

• 10 months later...

Hey, Did the mod last night, I would say the hardest part is getting the vents out and having the balls to cut the wires. Works a treat tho, all done in 20 mins.

Only point I might add is there are 2 wires that look pink, dark pink and light pink, it is the light pink one that you connect to the white with silver and the dark pink (red) is the handbrake that is earthed (loom side remember).

If you can wire a standard cd deck then you can easily do this mod, dont be scared, it'll save you a fortune and it is easy as with a bit of confidence.

Thanks for the diagrams!

For the IS250 dvd hack, I was reading the two pdfs and it says "Plug K46, Closest to driver"

It seems like these pics are of a left hand drive IS. For the aussie drivers, is it still the plug closest to driver or is it now furthest from driver (for right hand drive ISs).

I'm going to give this a go soon but just wanna make sure I'm well prepared.

Another thing, has anybody tried removing the unit on a manual IS? If so, any guides?

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers.

You need the PDF that talks about the pink and white w/silver wire and the red you earth. Dont worry about lefthand drive just follow the images. All id say is be gentle with ur vents, we pryed them from the sides not the top or bottom as there is more meat there so they are less likely to break. It's not a difficult mod so dont be afraid to do it, just remember it is proven to work, just check the threads + it worked for me no issues. I wouldnt bridge the NAV tho, seems pointless to make ur NAV jumpy, just earth the handbrake and bridge the light pink to the white/silver and that gets the dvd working no issues!

Good luck

• 3 months later...

[twitter][/twitter]

INTRODUCTION

IMPLEMENTATION NOTES

WARNINGS/CAVEATS

Hi Korvan just need some info.I done the mod but with only the park brake wire, when i disengage the park brake it works but when the car starts moving the screen goes blank do i need to do the complete mod or do i have a bad earth.Im pretty shore its not the earth as it works until the car starts moving or until i engage the park brake.Ive got an 06 prestige.Please help.

regards SUS250.

• 1 year later...

HELP!!! after hacking the dvd whilst driving, 5 days later the touch screen is now not working!!

can someone please help me as i am not sure what to do now. :(

Maybe I'm just asking the obvious here but did you return the conversion back to standard? And, does the disply work when back to standard?

Maybe there is a reset function for the screen (did you remove the car battery for a few hours - that might reset the display cpu)??

FYI, I did mine according to the hints on this board and had no issues so I don't think the mod process is in question.

Hi, i'll be converting it back to standard this weekend.

I did however removed the battery for 30 mins but with no success.

I really hope i don't have to buy a new unit coz of this.

Regards, bob

HELP!!! after hacking the dvd whilst driving, 5 days later the touch screen is now not working!!

can someone please help me as i am not sure what to do now. :(

Maybe I'm just asking the obvious here but did you return the conversion back to standard? And, does the disply work when back to standard?

Maybe there is a reset function for the screen (did you remove the car battery for a few hours - that might reset the display cpu)??

FYI, I did mine according to the hints on this board and had no issues so I don't think the mod process is in question.