Howto: Hack The Nav/dvd To Use While Driving

Oh well. Looks like my touch screen is stuffed. :(

I've converted it back to standard & still has the problem.

I hope i just need to get a new screen.

If anyone knows where i can get just the screen, please let me know.

Thank you in advance. :(

Hi, i'll be converting it back to standard this weekend.

I did however removed the battery for 30 mins but with no success.

I really hope i don't have to buy a new unit coz of this.

Regards, bob

HELP!!! after hacking the dvd whilst driving, 5 days later the touch screen is now not working!!

can someone please help me as i am not sure what to do now. :(

Maybe I'm just asking the obvious here but did you return the conversion back to standard? And, does the disply work when back to standard?

Maybe there is a reset function for the screen (did you remove the car battery for a few hours - that might reset the display cpu)??

FYI, I did mine according to the hints on this board and had no issues so I don't think the mod process is in question.

• 2 weeks later...

HELP!!! after hacking the dvd whilst driving, 5 days later the touch screen is now not working!!

can someone please help me as i am not sure what to do now. :(

Maybe I'm just asking the obvious here but did you return the conversion back to standard? And, does the disply work when back to standard?

Maybe there is a reset function for the screen (did you remove the car battery for a few hours - that might reset the display cpu)??

FYI, I did mine according to the hints on this board and had no issues so I don't think the mod process is in question.

Hi, i purchased a touch screen on ebay & installed it now everything is working fine.

Hopefully it won't stuff up on me again. fingers crossed ;|

It would be useful if Moboby could comment about why his mods did not work for him. It would seem that his misadventure is an exception rather than the rule.

I made the change to my car within weeks of getting it because the stock situation is unhelpful. If I have a passenger in the car, why should the passenger not have access to the maps?

Hacking the NAV made sense to me - the instructions were easy to follow and worked without drama!

It would be useful if Moboby could comment about why his mods did not work for him. It would seem that his misadventure is an exception rather than the rule.

I made the change to my car within weeks of getting it because the stock situation is unhelpful. If I have a passenger in the car, why should the passenger not have access to the maps?

Hacking the NAV made sense to me - the instructions were easy to follow and worked without drama!

Hi Ashpoint what year is your IS? Has anyone done it to a 2010 model??

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, got quoted $250 at Nam Electronics in Marrickville to get the dvd + nav override. Would like to just do the override myself but im not confident in 'earthing' the wire part..

Anyone near livo/fairfield has done this and wanna give me a hand or tips? Cheers!

Hey guys, got quoted $250 at Nam Electronics in Marrickville to get the dvd + nav override. Would like to just do the override myself but im not confident in 'earthing' the wire part..

Anyone near livo/fairfield has done this and wanna give me a hand or tips? Cheers!

That sounds very reasonable. Did they tell you what is involved? Is it done anything like what was posted in the original post of this thread? Did they tell you where they would mount the switch, and does it look OEM?

Hey Denis, im guessing it will be the same steps as shown. I was quoted $150 for Dvd + telephone hack, and an extra $100 for nav hack which will have a switch. Not sure where the switch will go, however theres a free slot just on the right side next to the steering wheel, so maybe there if its easy.

Anyone got an idea of where a good place to put the switch?

Ive booked the car in to get it done this week! Not too late to cancel lol

Hey Denis, im guessing it will be the same steps as shown. I was quoted $150 for Dvd + telephone hack, and an extra $100 for nav hack which will have a switch. Not sure where the switch will go, however theres a free slot just on the right side next to the steering wheel, so maybe there if its easy.

if you can get a member to assist its not that hard. can be done in under an hour.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone's interested I've managed to create a hybrid navigation dvd. I am currently testing it out on my 2006 manual sports + emv (Although right now it has a 2008 ISF navigation in it). The volume menu top left bottom left thing works as well and the service menu can be accessed. Although right now only the address input works while driving, whilst the telephone + movie function is still inaccessible.

It's still a work in progress and I'll be getting to it once i finish my exams.

For those who are interested

(The CD is a v12[loading.kwi] / v17[map data] hybrid dvd)

I'll upload a video once I get some stable internet =D

I have the Prestige Society module, which I had installed yesterday. The new module doesn't have any external buttons. To activate it, you hit (-) (-) (+) (+) on the volume buttons of your steering wheel. To deactivate, you repeat the sequence. I now have full access to my satnav, phone and DVD functions whilst in motion.

I have the Prestige Society module, which I had installed yesterday. The new module doesn't have any external buttons. To activate it, you hit (-) (-) (+) (+) on the volume buttons of your steering wheel. To deactivate, you repeat the sequence. I now have full access to my satnav, phone and DVD functions whilst in motion.

That sounds awesome! how much did it cost and where did you get it?

That sounds awesome! how much did it cost and where did you get it?

I purchased it from http://www.prestigio...om/?page_id=138

Note: 2010 models and after do not not require external button - just your steering wheel volume buttons. Pre-2010 do require the button as seen in the pictures of the above link.

It was $US299.99 + $US45.00 shipping/handling to Australia.

I am not affiliated with this company in any way.

Thanks Denis, the website doesnt have a picture/description of the newer module so i've shot off a coupe of e-mails to confirm. What a great find! Let me know if there are any bugs/issues with it as i will most probably be ordering it in the next couple of days.

I've driven it around for 2 days now, and have activated/de-activated it at least a dozen times to test it out. No issues so far. Their email support is terrific. Before I purchased mine, I shot them half a dozen emails on a Saturday and Sunday, all of which were answered before the weekend was over.

Couple of questions if you don't mind. Does it de-activate automatically when you turn the car off? I would just activate it and leave it on. How much did it cost to get fitted and where did you get it done? Thanks this looks like a perfect addition.

Hey Denis, cool mod from Prestige Society. Besides the dvd/phone/satnav overwrite, are there any extra functions that module gives u? (Eg, play video from external device like a usb).

For everyones info, i successfully got the dvd/phone/satnav hack from Nam Electronics, Marrickville. Cost me $250. Had it done about a month ago now and no probs at all.

Got the little switch installed next to the lighter socket where the ashtray is.

it would be awesome if you could hook it up to a USB hdd and run both your movies and songs from there...i've ordered mine so hopefully should be here in the next couple of weeks. Will take some pics of me trying to install it...

Couple of questions if you don't mind. Does it de-activate automatically when you turn the car off? I would just activate it and leave it on. How much did it cost to get fitted and where did you get it done? Thanks this looks like a perfect addition.

Yes, it does automatically deactivate once the car is off. You wouldn't just activate it and leave it on because what it does is makes your car believe that it is stationary - your car wouldn't be moving on your satnav screen. It didn't cost any thing to have it fitted - it was done by my brother, and the process from start to finish was less than 2 hours. It's a true plug & play solution - no need to cut or solder any wires at all. It comes with step-by-step instructions, including how to remove your trims, satnav unit etc. I reckon a pro installer can do it in about an hour, and certainly no more than 90 minutes. To be sure of the quality of the installation, if you're going to get a pro to do it for you, I would go to a CAMS certified installer, although it is a bit of over-kill for such a simple job: http://www.cam.net.au/car-audio-installation-cam-shop-finder/

Hey Denis, cool mod from Prestige Society. Besides the dvd/phone/satnav overwrite, are there any extra functions that module gives u? (Eg, play video from external device like a usb).

No, it doesn't allow external devices to be played. For that, you would need something like the VAIStech unit: http://www.vaistech.com/dev/mlp.php

Yes, it does automatically deactivate once the car is off. You wouldn't just activate it and leave it on because what it does is makes your car believe that it is stationary - your car wouldn't be moving on your satnav screen. It didn't cost any thing to have it fitted - it was done by my brother, and the process from start to finish was less than 2 hours. It's a true plug & play solution - no need to cut or solder any wires at all. It comes with step-by-step instructions, including how to remove your trims, satnav unit etc. I reckon a pro installer can do it in about an hour, and certainly no more than 90 minutes. To be sure of the quality of the installation, if you're going to get a pro to do it for you, I would go to a CAMS certified installer, although it is a bit of over-kill for such a simple job: http://www.cam.net.a...am-shop-finder/

Ok now I have got it. Thanks so much for all of this. Picked up my new IS350 F Sport yesterday so will look into this next week once I get it back from the window tinters etc.

• 1 year later...

thread revival!

so i did the hack as per the first PDF; loom side of the pink was soldered with the loom side of the white/silver striped wire, monitor side wires capped; as well as the monitor side red wire is earthed and the loom side capped. entering navigation works, but the DVD picture screen stops playing and shows the map while the car is moving. However, when the car is rolling very slowly or when it is stationary, the dvd picture screen reappears. should I be following the second PDF in the OP's post?

• 2 years later...