I've read of so many HID conversions and have to get this done. From what I've seen so far online, videos & pics, the process doesn't look that simple to me and I know that i'd struggle with the wiring & placement etc.

Has anyone done the conversion themselves or would you recommend taking it to an auto electrician. Only problem is paying the extra to get it done (but may be worth it, hmmm???)

I wanna do the HID conversion & LED's for the parkers

Hi Franky,

I've seen Ilv's and have done a fair bit of research myself.(ie.other installs). I would highly recommend that you do it your self aswell because as Ilv mentioned, it is quite "fiddleeeey" and I can't imagine that someone that you are paying would take their time and ensure that all wiring is routed and placed in the best possible location. Also, you need to designate a good location for the balast. Again, thats something I would rather work out myself. Anyway, thats my opinion. Hope it helps in your decision. And one more thing, don't by a cheap and nasty if your going to do it!!!

Hi Franky,

I've seen Ilv's and have done a fair bit of research myself.(ie.other installs). I would highly recommend that you do it your self aswell because as Ilv mentioned, it is quite "fiddleeeey" and I can't imagine that someone that you are paying would take their time and ensure that all wiring is routed and placed in the best possible location. Also, you need to designate a good location for the balast. Again, thats something I would rather work out myself. Anyway, thats my opinion. Hope it helps in your decision. And one more thing, don't by a cheap and nasty if your going to do it!!!

i'd have to say do it yourself as stated, its very fiddly. someone leaning into your engine bay with their tools in hand and pocket rubbing against your paintwork! not good! no one will take as much care as you would or a fellow forum member. i think lexus of chatswood would do the work. not sure as to price though.

if you're keen and have the kit i'm happy to do it for you. it'll take about an hour but you'll need to come to my place @ silverwater as i have all tools on hand.

i got a kit off ebay, can't remember which one but it was just an el cheapo generic kit and it's been going strong even after 3 years with the auto on/off feature. it's pot luck though, i've also had friends who have had kits where one ballast would fail, however they'd just replace the faulty ballast and all would be fine but its up to you though!

I think i might take you up on that offer cevu; i've been looking around for a product with decent reviews, dont want a cheapy and dont want the top end of the market either. Will let you know when I've got it sorted.

Did you go 6000k or higher?

I'm at Kellyville, so only 30 mins to Silverwater, no dramas.

Hi Franky,

i'd have to say do it yourself as stated, its very fiddly. someone leaning into your engine bay with their tools in hand and pocket rubbing against your paintwork! not good! no one will take as much care as you would or a fellow forum member. i think lexus of chatswood would do the work. not sure as to price though.

if you're keen and have the kit i'm happy to do it for you. it'll take about an hour but you'll need to come to my place @ silverwater as i have all tools on hand.

i got a kit off ebay, can't remember which one but it was just an el cheapo generic kit and it's been going strong even after 3 years with the auto on/off feature. it's pot luck though, i've also had friends who have had kits where one ballast would fail, however they'd just replace the faulty ballast and all would be fine but its up to you though!

yeah no worries. let me know when u're ready. u can help with the install so you can get some satisfaction knowing that you did some of it yourself! :-)

i went with a 6000k as thats the whitest u can go before u see colour! 8000k has a very noticable blue tint and you will attract the attention of the boys in blue!

Has anyone changed their fog lights? How the heck do you do it?

If doing a HID converion, I have to change the fogs too, even if its a 5000k halogen.

I can't see access to the bottom, unless if you pop them out from the front (dangerous).

Has anyone changed their fog lights? How the heck do you do it?

If doing a HID converion, I have to change the fogs too, even if its a 5000k halogen.

I can't see access to the bottom, unless if you pop them out from the front (dangerous).

How cool is this small ballast!! No hassles finding a spot to mount them.Fully rubber injected too!!! Only catch.......... About $250US.......But they do look like a quality product!

slimmer.jpg

I bought from this guy...good product and service...BUT... You're not gonna like the price :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAPAN-MTEC-...sQ5fAccessories

Hey Q,

Have you got HID's on yours?? I don't mind spending the cash as long as they are good..... Like Cevu said before, I tend to think that its almost pot luck if you get a good kit or not.

I do like this kit. Do u know anyone that has used them!!

800_au_D2_HID_01.jpg

Its really good!! I installed 1 on my ML320 (2 years ago ) and 1 on IS250...NO PROBLEMS and NO COMPUTER ERROR. very happy but make sure you buy from the right seller as there's a counterfeit product out there :)

have a good week end guys!!!

Its really good!! I installed 1 on my ML320 (2 years ago ) and 1 on IS250...NO PROBLEMS and NO COMPUTER ERROR. very happy but make sure you buy from the right seller as there's a counterfeit product out there :)

have a good week end guys!!!

No worries Q, thanks for the recommendation, i've put that seller in my favourites!!! Need to contact him about shipping because at the moment, thats the one that looks like a killer! Art, U got another container coming over anytime soon?? Got bit of an order for ya....HAHAHAHA!!! :D

While looking into doing a HID conversion, I thought, how much difference would there be between Xenons and white halogens. So i bought 2 sets of 4300k Philips CrystalVision (H11 - Low Beams & 9006 / HB4 - Fogs).

At first glance, I was quite impressed with the quality and overall look. I will see how they go over the next few days and will compare to my mates RX330 with Xenons, but for the difference in cost and extra hassle of drilling and wiring for a HID conversion, I think I may settle for the white halogens. Installation was really easy and done in under 30mins for all 4 lights.

Fog light installation

It is much brighter and looks better than the standard halogens, plus it was so simple to change. I know it is not going to be as good as a full HID conversion, but close enough.

DSCN3578.jpg

DSCN3581.jpg

Any comments?

While looking into doing a HID conversion, I thought, how much difference would there be between Xenons and white halogens. So i bought 2 sets of 4300k Philips CrystalVision (H11 - Low Beams & 9006 / HB4 - Fogs).

At first glance, I was quite impressed with the quality and overall look. I will see how they go over the next few days and will compare to my mates RX330 with Xenons, but for the difference in cost and extra hassle of drilling and wiring for a HID conversion, I think I may settle for the white halogens. Installation was really easy and done in under 30mins for all 4 lights.

It is much brighter and looks better than the standard halogens, plus it was so simple to change. I know it is not going to be as good as a full HID conversion, but close enough.

Sorry for the poor quality photos, only had phone camera on hand.

02122008-1.jpg

02122008002.jpg

Any comments?

looks good and would suit if all you'r after is the white colour. but for light intensity & spread no halogen will even come close to HID's. i've been through every reputable halogen and have yet to find one good enough to match HID's!

Totally agree, initially am after the white light and when I could be bothered, I'll make the conversion.

I don't think the white halogens are road worthy? Any knowledge on this? The Philips site says "not approved for road use". Oh well.

• 1 month later...

I have found a local Sydney distributor of HID kits who has a great variety of ballasts & colours at a reasonable price ($150-$200) and a 2 yr warranty. And rather than dealing with someone online and overseas and not knowing if it will turn up after paying or if its a quality product, its a real person who you can speak to and see the products before buying.

I am meeting with him tomorrow to check it all out and buy if all ok. The website is very informative and he has so far gone out of his way to help me out and answer my questions. I am looking at a slim-digital ballast / 6000k for $170.

Slim%20Ballast%2050mm.jpg

The website is http://www.arcoimports.com/

Will update with how it works out.

Yea went really good, so happy I made the change from halogens.

I met with Lex from Arco Imports today; he happened to be near the area that I was working at that time and was happy to meet up. He is a mobile supplier to the auto electricians throughout Sydney and drives around delivering his products. He was very knowledgeable and a guy I feel I could trust. 2 Yr warranty, how can you go wrong.

I ended purchasing the slim digital ballast - 6000k for $169 and I installed it this afternoon. Tested tonight, works & looks great. I must admit, I was a little worried about installing and finding a place for the ballasts, but I just took a bit of time and found a great spot and it was pretty easy, once I had the right tools.

There was an initial error reading saying Check VSC. Not something that I was comfortable with if it wasn't working; I kept the car running with lights on for a few minutes, then turned off and back on. Error gone! Weird!

Overall, I am confident in recommending him to my fellow Lexus club members and be sure to call him for any new Kits or HID parts. 1300 775 359 - Lex. Check his website for the range of ballasts - www.arcoimports.com

Next mod - IS-F Tail Lights. @ $500-600 US, still might be a while.

Well done mate,

They look great and you bought them from a local supplier.

Thanks for chasing up this supplier!

I hope to check out your install job at the next meet!

Are you able to post a pic of where you mounted these small ballasts?

Again, nice work!