Hi guys! Nice to meet you all.

Stumbled upon this forum and thought it was worth a shot reaching out. I have an IS250 and I'm having the issue with the melting doors and dash. I've visited a couple of Lexus dealerships who have contacted Lexus Australia and have been denied any assistance on both occasions (apparently mine was 6 months too old or something vague). One dealer said "well it's a pretty old car now mate". My response was that my Dad's 25 year old Toyota ute had no issues with melting trim.

I'm wondering if you've heard of any other owners who have managed to remedy the issue?

Thanks!

is250-2.jpg

is250-3.jpg

is250-4.jpg

is250.jpg

common problem on the 06-09

if you do a search you will find some answers

these melting dash has been an issue and first cases being reported around 4 years ago

some dealers did replace it under warranty back then

but im not too sure now

people now days mostly just buy dash and door trims out of later model cars and just replace em

is350 owner from NZ here,

I have emailed lexus nz in regards to the recall which she claimed there was no such recall.

However here was a passenger side airbag recall.

It's a bit annoying but hope other people can share their experiences trying to remedy the issue 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I purchased a 2007 IS250 new and dash started to melt, my Lexus dealer told me I’d used armall on it which I had not. Then next service (car then 10 years old) they replaced dash with second hand one for free!! Now it’s going as are side trims.

there was obviously an issue, I’m having my 100,000 klm service this month and going to put it to them? I also have a Lexus LX470 so I’m a good client. 

Have a look on the USA forum it was a recall over there, good luck PS i have never seen a dash or door skins that bad you would think Lexus would wake up and replace them, as it would cost them nothing

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I am in South Africa and have a 2007 Lexus IS250 with the same issues on the doors and dash. I bought the vehicle 2nd hand and thought, until now, that the previous owner left it in the sun and possibly used the dash cleaners as the panels are sticky to the touch.  I also have an issue with the reflection off the dash.  I am looking at having them re-covered, if it is possible.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, I just replaced the door trims on the weekend, and the car looks a million times better.  I tried Lexus Australia Customer Care today, and the very unhelpful person told me that there was no way Lexus Australia would come to the party, as the car is probably on its 4th or 5th owner and each time the dealer has probably used some chemical on the dash !!!  Sounded like he was talking from a script.  Anyway, going through the Service Dealer, just to see what he can do.

Has anyone had success recently?

• 8 months later...

Yep, That sticky looking dash and door trim looks real familiar. I have the same problem with my 2006 IS250 and the same lack of support from the dealers.

• 4 months later...

This is extremely poor response from Lexus. For me, I don't think I'll ever buy another Lexus, I'm afraid. I bought mine as a demonstrator in 2008, model year 2007, and it was in immaculate condition, with only 2-3k on the clock. It has always been garaged, since I bought it. 

Sure, it's an old car, but that is no excuse. I have a Corolla of similar vintage, no problems with it and it has been left out in the sun a lot.

This, along with the burning/consuming oil issue, is just not what one expects from Lexus.

Edited by chiphead56
Minor clarification

16 hours ago, chiphead56 said:

This is extremely poor response from Lexus. For me, I don't think I'll ever buy another Lexus, I'm afraid. I bought mine as a demonstrator in 2008, model year 2007, and it was in immaculate condition, with only 2-3k on the clock. It has always been garaged, since I bought it. 

Sure, it's an old car, but that is no excuse. I have a Corolla of similar vintage, no problems with it and it has been left out in the sun a lot.

This, along with the burning/consuming oil issue, is just not what one expects from Lexus.

different materials corolla uses hard plastic 

lexus uses leather 

cant comapre the durability of plastic vs leather

as for engine oil issue 

change to 10w40 that should help it 

also it helps if the car doesnt have any carbon bulld up and had proper service carried out all the time

On 5/31/2021 at 5:08 PM, sam_gs300 said:

Well, I just replaced the door trims on the weekend, and the car looks a million times better.  I tried Lexus Australia Customer Care today, and the very unhelpful person told me that there was no way Lexus Australia would come to the party, as the car is probably on its 4th or 5th owner and each time the dealer has probably used some chemical on the dash !!!  Sounded like he was talking from a script.  Anyway, going through the Service Dealer, just to see what he can do.

Has anyone had success recently?

Could you please share the Service Dealer contact who replaced your door panel?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, i live in Darwin and own a 2011 is250c and also have melting dash and door trims, can anyone advise me where I can purchase secondhand door trims as I have been quoted over $4000 dollars each for new ones , my car is in pristine condition apart from this and only got 60,000ks on the clock.

• 11 months later...