Transmission Fault

RecursiveLoop

Hi guys

Something weird and worrying happened to me today, I was driving along in manual mode, quite spiritedly as an ISF driver should. Suddenly, I realised the car felt a bit sluggish and I couldn't get to 4th gear. The car refused to go more than 40km/h. I got worried because it is a public road with 80km/h marked and someone could run into me if I was going that slow. I turned on the hazard lights and went for another kilometre before I found a safe place to pull over.

I then realised I couldn't get reverse gear, and the car got very jerky. I thought it might the transmission overheating due to the crazy hot weather at the moment, so I turned off the engine for 20 minutes. After turning it back on again, the check engine light came on, I couldn't go into reverse and the car refused to go faster than 40km/h. It was then that I realised I was in trouble.

I called Lexus DriveCare and they were brilliant in organising a free tow to the dealership. The dealership only opens tomorrow so I'll have to wait to find out what is going on.

My car is a 2012 ISF with only 11k kms on the clock. I bought it as an ex-demo from Brisbane Lexus with 7k kms on the clock.

It is really strange how I'm getting this problem so early in the car's life. I'll update when I get more information. I hope it is a simple issue that will be covered by warranty.

Sad to see a F broken down on the back of a tow truck. Was going to recommend this thread:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f/653500-transmission-problem-funky-shifting-and-harsh-reverse-15.html

but it seems like you already found it. Let us know how you go with Lexus on diagnosing the problem.

Update: Lexus said a few error codes were reported when running their diagnosis on the vehicle. Looks like it might be a complicated one. They will need to get their "expert" mechanic to look at it, and his schedule is quite busy, so no ETA. But I will get a loan car while the car is being fixed.

Another update. Apparently I should go and buy Gold Lotto because I have the first ISF in Australia that has ever suffered a gearbox malfunction. I have been told there are multiple error codes being thrown by the TCU, the TCU is requesting for a certain ratio and the transmission is unable to provide it. They are shipping a whole new transmission from Japan to put into the car. They are equally brewildered by the situation as there are many ISF owners out there that drive the car hard and track the car (which is reasonable, no one buys a ISF to not drive hard), and this is the first time they've seen such an issue.

In the meantime, I've been given a IS250 loaner car for as long as it takes to fix. They were quite apologetic about what I went through (as if it were their fault!). Gotta love Lexus. As far as I'm concerned, they have a customer for life as long as they keep building "F" models.

Another update. Apparently I should go and buy Gold Lotto because I have the first ISF in Australia that has ever suffered a gearbox malfunction. I have been told there are multiple error codes being thrown by the TCU, the TCU is requesting for a certain ratio and the transmission is unable to provide it. They are shipping a whole new transmission from Japan to put into the car. They are equally brewildered by the situation as there are many ISF owners out there that drive the car hard and track the car (which is reasonable, no one buys a ISF to not drive hard), and this is the first time they've seen such an issue.

In the meantime, I've been given a IS250 loaner car for as long as it takes to fix. They were quite apologetic about what I went through (as if it were their fault!). Gotta love Lexus. As far as I'm concerned, they have a customer for life as long as they keep building "F" models.

mate that is awsome news

gota love the service of Lexus

Awsome stuff

now the waiting game begins!

Wow, extremely unlucky!

But as you said Lexus takes care of its customers - glad to hear it.

Still, I shudder at thinking how much this would've hurt the wallet if this happened outside of warranty....

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: Lexus Indooroopilly has told me that car will be ready first week of February. Can't come soon enough, I can't even break traction in the rain with the IS250. Diagnosis: severe torque withdrawal, cure: getting my baby back. :D

Got a call from Lexus this arvo to tell me the car is ready to be picked up, 1 week ahead of schedule! It's all fixed now, they gave her a full detail and wash, and she looks and feels brand new.

So happy to be back in the ISF! :)

• 3 weeks later...

We definitely should. I don’t go to many car meets etc cause most of them have turned into hooning events etc but it would be nice to see some more ISFs in action. I see you also bought your ISF from Indooroopilly. Good choice, I bought mine there about a year & a half ago from Jason. Great service and product they have there.

OK so are we all game for a mini ISF meet somewhere in Brisbane? Last time I tried to organise one no one showed up.

I have a Borla catback, Brisman has the JoeZ, BULLIT has the ISS Forged, I think between us we have most of the aftermarket exhausts covered! Would be a great opportunity to compare.

Sounds good. I would be keen for a catch up if we could organize something that suits us all. Just removed my Borla axle back and replaced it with full ISS system.

RecursiveLoop what side of town are you on?