I never have a habit of checking engine oil levels, so yesterday i was reversing my car, and a warning sound came, and then on my dash it says "low engine oil level, add more" it just flashed for one second. I didnt take it too seriously cos my car runs normally. When i got home i checked the engine oil level it was below the first dot on the dip stick which indicates really really low. i havent changed my engine oil since my last service, and i have done approximately 10000km on this engine oil, is this consumption level normal? If not, how often should i change engine oil apart from Lexus scheduled maintenance? Cos i know for a fact that my dad's audi change engine oil every 5000km and i am 5000km away from the 9K service(says on the maintainance screen) but should i just take it in for a service now? cos it seems like the claimed 15000km service schedule is a bit too long

Had a similar issue of late (around the same kms as you! - 85-90k). I topped up with a standard Valvoline oil (its decent, but hardly top shelf, as I use it for my wife's Subaru) and then mentioned it to the sevice manager when taking it in for my 90,000 service. Apparently this can be solved by using an oil of different viscosity. I know little about oils, but they certainly put in quite a different oil (the W rating was quite a bit higher for memory). I'm now at 95,000kms and I haven't lost a drop!

Perhaps Lexus are realising this is the case for the older IS, and now are realising the issue goes away with different oil? Who knows. Someone else more familar with engine oil might help out with some knowledge on thios.

Toyota engines consume oil by nature. Just make sure you check it every once in a while & the motor will go on forever. My IS250 does the same (never let it go that low though) & I've seen many Toyotas/Lexus' do the same (I've rebuilt & had my share of fun with Toyotas too).

Had a similar issue of late (around the same kms as you! - 85-90k). I topped up with a standard Valvoline oil (its decent, but hardly top shelf, as I use it for my wife's Subaru) and then mentioned it to the sevice manager when taking it in for my 90,000 service. Apparently this can be solved by using an oil of different viscosity. I know little about oils, but they certainly put in quite a different oil (the W rating was quite a bit higher for memory). I'm now at 95,000kms and I haven't lost a drop!

Perhaps Lexus are realising this is the case for the older IS, and now are realising the issue goes away with different oil? Who knows. Someone else more familar with engine oil might help out with some knowledge on thios.

Did you notice any difference when you put the Valvoline oil? i did put 1L of Castrol Edge Titianium 5W-30 in it..and after i put it i feel my engine has gotten louder? it could be just my perception, not really sure. But honestly i dont think any engine oil would last for 15000km thats a bit too long i think, so still it is better to check engine oil regularly haha I know that now. I read the owner's manual it says it is best to use 5w-30 viscosity cos its got something to do with efficiency and cold start ability

Toyota engines consume oil by nature. Just make sure you check it every once in a while & the motor will go on forever. My IS250 does the same (never let it go that low though) & I've seen many Toyotas/Lexus' do the same (I've rebuilt & had my share of fun with Toyotas too).

HAHA true that but the scary thing is that the engine oil level was that low and the car did not warn me until it was like well below the first dot..now i think i must check in on the oil level once in a while..and i think this engine consumes alright..in my dad's car the engine would consume all of the oil by the end of 5000km, crazy consumption but they say its normal for turbo charged cars

I only topped up with about 1.5L-2L with the Valvoline, and if anything it was quieter, especially on start-up (on the fact that it just had more oil in it!). Didn't really notice any changes to running volume once the car had warmed up.

maybe i should try valvoline next time, what kinda oil does Lexus service use? does anyone know?

• 1 year later...

I only topped up with about 1.5L-2L with the Valvoline, and if anything it was quieter, especially on start-up (on the fact that it just had more oil in it!). Didn't really notice any changes to running volume once the car had warmed up.

maybe i should try valvoline next time, what kinda oil does Lexus service use? does anyone know?

I had the same issue of low engine oil. Gave Lexus a call and they offered to top it up for me. They use semi-synthetic 10W-30, which is shocking. Thought they'd use fully synthetic!

They use semi-synthetic 10W-30, which is shocking. Thought they'd use fully synthetic!

I know.My service centre uses 10W40!!semi synthetic.I change my oil every 6 mths.There's NO WAY i'd leave ANY oil in my car for 12mths.or 15K

I don't get it with you guys.

Lexus servicing is 12 months or max 15000 kms, that is dealer servicing and it doesn't mean you don't have to do other ( none dealer) stuff yourself or if you don't like to get your hands dirty get someone else to do it .

These include but not limited to:

Check oil level on a weekly basis,

Check tyre pressures on a weekly basis:

Check engine coolant level.

Windscreen washer fluid level.

Check all lights :

I'm sure if you read your book all the above and more will be listed there .

DON'T wait to get an oil warning to check the level, what if something fails and you don't get the warning? Goddbye engine!!

Just because you have to top up the oil it doesn't mean you need to change it more often, sure do it if you want or if you lots of hard driving, very short trips etc.. and always after a track day.

The quility of oils these days is so that you can have 15 ks and 12 months service, not the case 30 years ago, some Euros specify 25 k k's service under normal conditions, I don't think I would let oil in my engine for 25 k's unless I was driving 1000 ks per week on the freeway.

MR2QIK,

Oil use is not unique to Toyotas, all engines will and should use some oil, it's normal, some will use more than others, a lot depends on how hard you drive them too.

I am curious what weight oils any high km owners are using? My 250 has just over 200k on the clock, still runs like a dream, but wondering if I should be considering something heavier than the Mobil1 5w30 I am using.

I also had let a number of months pass between oil level checks and found mine to be just on the bottom dot of the dipstick too. I topped it up but unfortunately I was a bit hasty and put 3litres in, so it has now come above the top dot to where the stick has a twist in it, so guess I'll be getting messy draining some back out :lol:

• 4 months later...

Hi, Melbourne owners,

I'm really getting sick of this oil sipping problem & the fact that they use semi synthetic at Lexus dealers.

Please advise if any Lexus dealers allow you to bring your own full synthetic oil for service and how much did they end up charging you?

Thank you

Lexus uses Castrol 10W40.

I would change engine oil + oil filter every 5,000 - 7,500 kms (I do 7,500 kms myself).

Even Lexus states this under "Additional Service" or other manufacturers call it "Serve Conditions".

Best Recommendation to all is to provide your own oil when servicing and to use Full Synthetic Engine Oil.

eg. Motul, Mobil 1, etc

Hi, Melbourne owners,

I'm really getting sick of this oil sipping problem & the fact that they use semi synthetic at Lexus dealers.

Please advise if any Lexus dealers allow you to bring your own full synthetic oil for service and how much did they end up charging you?

Thank you

Lexus uses Castrol 10W40.

I would change engine oil + oil filter every 5,000 - 7,500 kms (I do 7,500 kms myself).

Even Lexus states this under "Additional Service" or other manufacturers call it "Serve Conditions".

Best Recommendation to all is to provide your own oil when servicing and to use Full Synthetic Engine Oil.

eg. Motul, Mobil 1, etc

I know my dealer charges $70 extra for full synthetic.I think its 5W40 They use it in the ISFs.Or just bring your own they should deduct the amount off your service bill and note it on your invoice.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem, 3800 km done since last service ( 6.3 Litre of Castrol Edge was poured in ) and dropped to low already. I just did carbon clean as well, is it the oil OR it's the engine? Never expected Lexus would have such a problem with its engine, disappointed ....

• 10 months later...

My '09 IS250 has done less than 90k kms. Last service was done around 80k (maybe a little bit less). I took it to my independant mechanic who used Mobil Semi Synthetic 5W30 (http://www.mobil.com/AP-English-LCW/carengineoils_au_products_mobil-super-2000-5w30.aspx). Yesterday I went to check the oil level, it was about 10 -15% above the minimmum level. So I had it topped up today at the dealer, as I was getting the fuel line recall done.