Question Abt Exhaust Manifold

HI everybody... im wondering which exhaust manifold should i get 4 my car...

should i get a HKS 4-2-1 manifold or the 4-1 racing version????

at da beginning of this yr a guy tell me dat 4-1 is better ...but now he said 4-2-1 is better 4 st use...so i dunt know whether i should still trust him or nt :huh: ...so which 1 u guys think its better 4 me?

+ also ...do u guys think all these mods worth $4000??(include fitting)

EXEDY H/D clutch

JUN Flywheel

HKS 4-2-1 exhaust manifold

Apexi lowering spring

SARD racing centre pipe

THZ :)

at da beginning of this yr a guy tell me dat 4-1 is better ...but now he said 4-2-1 is better 4 st use...so i dunt know whether i should still trust him or nt :huh: ...so which 1 u guys think its better 4 me?

EXEDY H/D clutch

JUN Flywheel

Apexi lowering spring

SARD racing centre pipe

$4000? that can get yourself a Turbo...stuffed all these performance mods, a turbo will do. 4-2-1 should be better for headers...

Matt :)

EXEDY H/D clutch

JUN Flywheel

Apexi lowering spring

SARD racing centre pipe

Hi ZZa,

With the headers it depends what you want to do with the car, If I remember correctly I would say that the guy is right about the 4-2-1 being better for the street use, it all depends on the pipe lengths being tuned correctly to give better low and mid power, while 4-1 is suited to top end power, dont quote me on this though cos I had it explained to me about 10 yrs ago and its a bit fuzzy in the brain.

You would have to do some homework to find the best headers, I know of some guys who have actually lost power from choosing from brand names rather than prooven performance.

It would probably pay to install an airflow computer like the Apexi SAFC-II as well to get best results.

Best to talk to someone like ST-Hitec in Newmarket.

Yes, I'd say chat to several ppl who build race car exhausts for track work. I think they will also say 4-1 is for real top end, and 4-2-1 gives better mid-range. But find someone who builds exhausts, not someone who just sells aftermarket brand names.

The turbo idea is a nice one, good mid-range grunt from that, but your $4k includes clutch and lowering as well. If you do the clutch, can I have your old flywheel/pressure plate setup pls. One of the clutch shops wants to build lightweight ones for Altezzas and is looking for a standard one to measure.

keith

THZ everybody..

actually wat i want my car 2 be comfortable 2 drive on st while give gd controllable (since im a rookie driver) performance on track so now im still struggle wif which header 2 get..

hmm.. yea i did think of da TURBO idea b4... but it would costs alot more dan $4k coz things like injectors, fuel pump and computer is necessary for turbo.. all these + da turbo would cost me ard $10k..so it costs too much 4 me

+ HOON....actually da guy dat give me advise b4 its soichi in ST HI-TEC....do u think of getting a flywheel too ??? how bt we buy together .. so we might get a discount together...

+ actually im abit confused wif top-end pwr + mid range pwr thing... so is top end mean 5000rpm-7000rpm + mid range mean 3000-5000 rpm??

+keith u can hv my old flywheel if u want

THZ very much everybody

O + zee can u further explain wat do u mean by "EQUAL legnth manifold to obtain largest gains"

plz coz i dunt really understand...

Hi mate,

The Manifold or header is a main factor in tuning, if you are using the stock manifold then it's a pretty horrid piece of kit and a four/six branch equal length manifold will work great as this means the exhaust pulses arrive at equal spacing at the header.

Continue this with the same size as the header, say 2" into your down pipe and then a sports muffler at the rear.

Unless one is into racing then length and bore spacing it not TOO critical, but there is a formula for calculating the correct bore and length to obtain optimum power at a given RPM. Although, street cars operate at a wide band of power so it's not critical - just more benficial because you may get screwed into a poorly designed header.

Hope this helps.

Zee. :)

THZ everybody..

actually wat i want my car 2 be comfortable 2 drive on st while give gd controllable (since im a rookie driver) performance on track so now im still struggle wif which header 2 get..

hmm.. yea i did think of da TURBO idea b4... but it would costs alot more dan $4k coz things like injectors, fuel pump and computer is necessary for turbo.. all these + da turbo would cost me ard $10k..so it costs too much 4 me

+ HOON....actually da guy dat give me advise b4 its soichi in ST HI-TEC....do u think of getting a flywheel too ??? how bt we buy together .. so we might get a discount together...

+ actually im abit confused wif top-end pwr + mid range pwr thing... so is top end mean 5000rpm-7000rpm + mid range mean 3000-5000 rpm??

+keith u can hv my old flywheel if u want

THZ very much everybody

Hey, a turbo kit will only cost about $4000-$5000 fitted. Thats for a Trust-GReddy bolt on kit. U can look at the kit on www.trust-power.com. The only thing u'll need is a new exhaust. ;)

P.S. pics of turbo kit & intercooler on gallery 32 :)

Price: 230,000 yen for turbo kit and 88,000 yen for intercooler.

Cheers Corey

You're right about the rev ranges ZZa. It hardest to get good 3000-5000 power without more litres. Most mods give more power over 5000, like exhausts, cams, intake systems. Even the turbo that gives more mid-range gives more top end too. A supercharger is best for mid-range grunt.

The 4-2-1 header is best for mid-range, as a racing 4-1 can get real bad flat spots low down. See some people who make the headers for race/rally cars for advice before you buy.

We could all go to see the Clutch & Brake man on the North Shore that wants to design a conventional clutch and lightened flywheel for the Altezza, and get him to make three. He currently exports systems to replace the dual mass units in the Subarus.

keith