Hi everyone,

I am not a Lexus owner yet, but am contemplating buying a IS250 over the next few months.

I will have many questions given that there are no dealerships close to me in my part of Melbourne, so I will not be able to pester the dealer but I will have to pester you guys.

Firstly, am I better off getting the Prestige with Enhancement pack, or just get the Sports?

What are the trip computer functions?

Where is the trip computer display?

Thanks.

Nice to see your interested in the IS250! I have the Prestige with the enhancement pack and could not be happier!

As far as i know the trip computer has Trip A and Trip B and the odometer, it is located in the middle below the speedo and tacho.

Is this an important thing to you? My best suggestion is to spend a bit of time to drive down to one of the dealerships and have a look at the car for yourself. You will not be disappointed.

By trip computer, I mean does it tell you fuel consumption, avg speed, how much fuel left etc.

Oh, and what does speed alert mean? Is this where you can tell the car to beep when you are doing say 105kmh, or does it let you know in another way? :rolleyes:

By trip computer, I mean does it tell you fuel consumption, avg speed, how much fuel left etc.

Oh, and what does speed alert mean? Is this where you can tell the car to beep when you are doing say 105kmh, or does it let you know in another way? :rolleyes:

Question A - yes

Question B - yes

Question C - yes

And no to question D.

Like Niick mentioned, you are best checking a car out in person before you buy. Why don't you go and have a look at a pre-loved one for sale!

All the small things that you asked about are quite easy to find on the net. Before I bought my car, I spent countless hours on dealer sites, review sites and oh yes, the forums!!

As for the last question (D) that you got wrong, :huh: , U have both rev and speed alerts. Both are visual. You will actually find a post about them on this forum. Check posts from about 2 months ago!!

Good to see you here and hope you get the car. As Niick said, you will love it!!!

And if you get the Prestige, you have to get the ML/SatNav setup!!

Main reason to consider the Sports is for the 18's and different ride setup...... Do ya research!!! ;)

One more thing, you need to prefer the Alcantara seats over the leather as found in both the Prestige and Sports Luxury!

Thanks for your replies guys.

It is just a bit daunting having a car worth $60k (although I anticipate the changeover to be in the late $30k).

you will feel it is worth every dollar. the car itself is a joy to drive and the service is second to none.

at first you may feel a bit concerned parking your car and leaving it but you get used to it after a while, just try and park between two nice cars is about the best advice i can give you. if you have a bit of bad luck just leave it to insurance, no point in worrying about it too much.

but best thing to do is take it for a spin, you'll love it!

Melbbq - Good luck with it all.

OPTIONS - I have a 2006 is250 Prestige with no Enhancement Pack. Have had a loan car with an enhancement pack, and would love to have it in my car, but cant quite see the extra $7k value in it (4k is more realistic I think). The 'standard' sound system in the Prestige is a 13 speaker Pioneer 190w which is simply brilliant. The ML 14-spkr set up in the enhancement pack is better, but not a lot better.

If you dont get the enhancement pack (with rear-view camera), ask your dealer to "throw in" reverse sensors. I did and was the best decision I made - have saved me a few times from bumping into low poles, and they are a handy parking guide when in a tight space.

TRIP COMPUTER - For memory, you scroll through the trip computer to tell you... Average Fuel Consumption (resettable by user); Tank Average Cons (since you last filled up), Gear Position (handy when you are in manual/sports mode), Outside Temp oC, Distance to Empty, and a bar graph giving you an approximate instantaneous consumption use.

NEGOTIATION - Right now you are probably in a good position to haggle a few little extras. Sales are down across the industry, the IS250 sales have dropped a little also (due to the inferior, but highly advertised and hyped new releases of the option-riddled C-class and A4), and there is a minor cosmetic update of the IS250 due out in 2009. You could try for tinting, reverse sensors and perhaps the bluetooth pack for the base Prestige as 'sweeteners'.

THE CAR - Before I bought my IS, I drove the 159, A4, Passat, 320i, C-class, and many others. In my opinion, based on what other cars offer, the IS250 gives you 85k of car for 60k. Highly, highly recommended.

DEALERS - If you happen to be in Victoria, MelbCity and Blackburn are both excellent dealerships. Brighton gets mixed reviews for some reason. If you work full-time for a company listed in the ASX200, ask about their corporate packages and pricing. You might get free servicing for the life of the warranty!

Good luck.

It's nice to have the added options but it really boils down to how much you want to spend. If you are one of thoese who are conscious of resale value then think about it as well as. Eg. If you have 7K added option doesn't mean it is 7K more than a car without the option when you go to sell your car. It's the buyer's market when you sell your car if you get what i mean.

I bought my prestige only, thinking i will do wheels and lowering myself and if need be TomTom it but i didnt feel the need get one to date.

If you want luxury crusing with unrival comfort, can't go pass a Lexus.

As Sapphire Cam said I couldn't agree more.

I got the prestige model with no enhancement pack but I got the reverse sensors instead. They work like a gem! I do think all cars should come with reverse sensors standard.

Quality is is just as good as the sports or sports luxury, there is a difference but not that much in terms of comfort.

/ my 2c

Thanks again for your comments.

I called one of the Melb dealers today, only to be told that the Prestige with Enhancement Pack would cost $71k on road. This, in my view, is just a bit too much to spend on a car.

What I think I will do is wait a year or so and get a used 2008 model.

I hope you guys dont mind me putting other questions up tho, from time to time.

You could do that but i prefer to buy it earlier rather than latter. Next year it will be 2009 and going by previous models, 2010 might see a new model coming out.

I own my car for 19 months now and replacing is still far from my mind. I'm just glad i bought it early love the fact that it's still new looking on the road if you know what i mean.

Thanks again for your comments.

I called one of the Melb dealers today, only to be told that the Prestige with Enhancement Pack would cost $71k on road. This, in my view, is just a bit too much to spend on a car.

What I think I will do is wait a year or so and get a used 2008 model.

I hope you guys dont mind me putting other questions up tho, from time to time.

Hi Melbbg,

You should be able to get the Prestige with enhancement pack for quite a bit cheaper then you have been quoted.

A few things to consider that should aid your cause are -

If you can wait a little bit, try to buy the car just before the end of the Japanese Fiscal year. You will find that most of the Lexus dealerships will be looking at achieving sales targets through numbers, not on actual sales profit. You should find that you will have the upper hand then in the negotiation process.

(End of March)

Another thing to consider is if you are with a corporate that is registered to a National fleet discount, Toyota / Lexus are a big supporter of this and you will make extra savings with on roads and servicing.

Look, I won't say how much you should pick one up for, but again, I think the price you got thus far has got a fair bit of room to move.

Hope this helps!!! ;)

Thank you once again for your comments, especially your insightful comments ProjectIS.

I was told that the 2009updgrade related to a minor change to the front grille, and that the side mirrors would have indicators on them.

Looks as though I will have to keep saving and maybe my changeover will be better if I decide to do something in March.

I agree, I found that walking into the dealer and spending an hour and making it look serious meant that the dealers were ready to move a little on price and options. I don't think in this type of market the dealers are going to let a serious sale go, considering just last month they were giving 5% finance. I would suggest visiting the bigger dealers to see what they will do for price.

Why don't you scout out a demo model or ring interstate dealers.

Also I know from experience that they rarely take you seriously if you ring a dealer.

Go there in person and see what they will do for you.

I agree with Art on the X demos, definately a good option if your budget is a bit tight. The good thing with Lexus is that they utilise loan cars with their servicing. They on average, they will only keep the car in the loan phase untill it hits the 5K mark. Then they will sell it. The dealers wont always see them so you will have to scout around. One thing I did prior to buying new was utilise a broker to find me a pre-loved cars. He had a lot of contacts that had access to these cars. For me, it ended up more beneficial to buy new, but this could be a good option if you want to save some cash!!

Why don't you scout out a demo model or ring interstate dealers.

Also I know from experience that they rarely take you seriously if you ring a dealer.

Go there in person and see what they will do for you.

I agree with Art on the X demos, definately a good option if your budget is a bit tight. The good thing with Lexus is that they utilise loan cars with their servicing. They on average, they will only keep the car in the loan phase untill it hits the 5K mark. Then they will sell it. The dealers wont always see them so you will have to scout around. One thing I did prior to buying new was utilise a broker to find me a pre-loved cars. He had a lot of contacts that had access to these cars. For me, it ended up more beneficial to buy new, but this could be a good option if you want to save some cash!!

Definately. I got a 2008 IS250 sports luxury that was their "Australian Car of the Year" display car on a road show around australia sold from lexus australia to lexus of perth. It was registered and had only 42km on it. I avoided dealer delivery, and LCT on it. Ended up saving close to $19000 as it was "pre-owned" but only 42km. I thought the advertisement must of been a mistake and it was 42000km.

To Melbbq - Im staggered at that driveaway price of $71k for a Prestige with Enhancement pack. After some haggling, I thought you could do it for 58k plus on-roads on top of that.

In the end I got an ex.exec driven Prestige with roof (no enhancement pack) with 12,000kms through a Lexus dealer here in Melb with genuine reverse sensors installed as a sweetener for 52k driveaway.

To let you know, I work as a professional for a multi-national resources company - (but purchased privately, no leasing or remuneration package thing) - and as snobby as it sounds, where you work does help a little in getting a better price. It helped me because Im in my early 30s (apparently look late 20s!! :) ) and therefore they weren't that interested in me initially, until I told them where I worked, and then they were all over me, and willing to 'do a deal'. Its worth building a rapport with a particular individual first - it helps with Lexus (Audi and BMW didn't give a stuff about me to be honest!)

I know that MelbCity and Blackburn (if you're in Vic) currently have quite a few ex.demos/exec driven in stock for high-50s driveaway.

Incidentally, there is a post on this forum somewhere that has a link to the cosmetic changes to the 2009 update. Slightly different tail lights as well, but overall quite minor - I dont think there are any changes to the interior. New IS250 expected in 2011 or 2012 now, as they want to release a convertible IS (another post here) in 2010.

Good luck - as I said, I looked and drove EVERYTHING in the 45-60k price range and just so glad I bought my IS. Its worth that little extra saving if needed.

First things first DONT go to Lexus Brighton, I did and OMG what a hassle, shame the car is brilliant. I ended up buying one of the limited edition X models got just over $7000.00 off and a good trade in price, just all the lies that the finance women (Glenys) told me really put me off.

Found the X a good compromise between the 2 models you are looking at. Good luck and enjoy.

Definately. I got a 2008 IS250 sports luxury that was their "Australian Car of the Year" display car on a road show around australia sold from lexus australia to lexus of perth. It was registered and had only 42km on it. I avoided dealer delivery, and LCT on it. Ended up saving close to $19000 as it was "pre-owned" but only 42km. I thought the advertisement must of been a mistake and it was 42000km.

Hahaha...I think I may have sat in your car while being shown to me by a sales rep during a show. This was prior to me getting my car from a NSW dealer.

I bought my IS250 Prestige with Enhancement pack for A LOT cheaper than 71K on road in 2006. Admittedly in Sydney.

7K is a lot to spend on the enhancement pack but let's price it up seperately:

Upgraded sound system. Normally expect to spend $2K-$3K on this with other cars in the segment.

Sunroof - that was included in my price, and you would normally expect to pay about $2K for this.

SatNav - Again $2K-$3K.

Then you also get the reverse camera ($??), bluetooth integration ($500).

So it becomes worth it, but only if you want ALL of those features. I do, and it's great.

You definitely won't get $7K back when you sell the car.