Top Gear has always been anti-Lexus and very paraochial towards anything European - especially when it's put up against anything Asian. This clip shows how they'd rigged the comparsion a little bit, getting the professional driver in the M3 whilst the presenter (Jeremy) is in the IS-F. And they fail to mention that whilst BMW have been doing this type of vehicle for decades, this is Lexus' first crack at it! And using schoolboy logic at times to downplay the Lexus.

The Top Gear boys in their language and behaviour illustrate that the IS-F does give the Germans something to think about. Will be interesting who the benchmark will be in 5 years time??!

Incidentally, the IS-F gets a glowing review on their web-site.

ldc - tend to agree. Think the BMW range is looking very dated, and I sat in a new 3-series the other day, and it felt like Id stepped back in time to 1998! The M3 has been refined over and over again which is why it has a slightly better ride than the IS-F.

From the various reviews Ive read, Lexus just need to fine-tune the ride and perhaps find an extra 10kW from somewhere and it'll put the M3 vIS-F debate to bed.

the F is an awsome car.

i also read..

if the F had slightly harder suspension it would kill the M3 on the track..

but being lexus it's soft :P

In most reviews they say the is-f is too rough and head guys at lexus are going to change the suspension later on.

The funny thing when i drove it it seem soft.

But i sold my lexus is250 sport and bought a brand new a bmw 335 m-sport coupe and i thought the lexus handled well, but this beast just kills it in handling and with 19''wheels and 335 rides better as well.

Never did like bmw's before but once i drove the 335 coupe its in a different league all together there is noway lexus can match the engineering of this car perfect 50/50 balance.

I was waiting for the is350 to come out here but no go just as well because this car kills it.

IS350 has the same suspension as the 250 and would be near same price.

There are some things i like in the lexus that bmw doen't have but the power and balance in handling of this car is awesome.

Lexus is still a bit short in road feel and balance.

Agree with ldc and chappy - unfair to compare the 250 with the 335. I think give Lexus 5 years and they'll be serving it right up to BMW on the road. The IS series is really just start to play with the big boys now - and the Germans have a 20 year head start! The 335 is all class (probably the best looking Beemer too - dont like the tired and busy basic 3-series styling), but unfair to put it in the same class as the 250. Word out there is that the IS range is due for a total re-release in 2012, which Lexus are going all-out to stop the Germans in their tracks and I believe will include a 2 door souped-up coupe with the 3.5V6 in it. Whether it comes Down Under remains to be seen.

the F is an awsome car.

i also read..

if the F had slightly harder suspension it would kill the M3 on the track..

but being lexus it's soft :P

In most reviews they say the is-f is too rough and head guys at lexus are going to change the suspension later on.

The funny thing when i drove it it seem soft.

But i sold my lexus is250 sport and bought a brand new a bmw 335 m-sport coupe and i thought the lexus handled well, but this beast just kills it in handling and with 19''wheels and 335 rides better as well.

Never did like bmw's before but once i drove the 335 coupe its in a different league all together there is noway lexus can match the engineering of this car perfect 50/50 balance.

I was waiting for the is350 to come out here but no go just as well because this car kills it.

IS350 has the same suspension as the 250 and would be near same price.

There are some things i like in the lexus that bmw doen't have but the power and balance in handling of this car is awesome.

Lexus is still a bit short in road feel and balance.

I have actually driven all 3 and the 335 is a nice car but not in the same league as the M3 & ISF. I have driven the M3 over a weekend and the ISF also over a weekend and I think the ISF is better than the M3 and is def better appointed and the fact that Lexus has had it's first crack at this market is a sure sign of things to come not to mention the $40k difference in the price of the M3 and the ISF better still the ISF still has alot more standard features even after you add all the options on the M3 !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I know that this topic is done & dusted, but still................... i did find the need to add the lap times from the show!!! Again, as pointed out by my fellow members, not a bad showing considering the fact that its the first time in the arena!! And when you look at the price.............................!!! What can I say!! Yes the 350 would be a nice "In between"so to speak, but we can't take anything away from the highend!!! IS-F lol!! Gotta get one!!!

Anyway, interesting reading for those that haven't seen the times as yet!!!

TOPGEAR LAP TIMES, HOW DID THE IS-F COMPARE!! CHECK THIS LINK OUT!

135794d1229992973-is-f-in-top-gears-ranking-board-topgearisf.jpg

TopGear Rulez!!!

I just had my 2 Yrs service done at a cut throat price at Lexus of Para, and there was a grey F there (demo car). I must say and maybe it's the colour but it isn't all that different to the 250, just had different wheels. The hump on the bonnet wasn't wasn't too bad...

Agree!! They just need to change their bias away from the euro cars a bit!! The IS-F & hopefully "maybe's" like the LF-A will help achieve this! Lexus have definately started their intro into this world well!!

gallery_2635_2_43398.jpg

As for your mention of the of the IS-F / IS250 simularities, besides the bonnet, the brake rotors kinda make a distinct difference for me!! Thats what the IS250 kinda lacks......decent brake rotors/calipers!!!! I assume the 350 has the same weakness!

Agree!! They just need to change their bias away from the euro cars a bit!! The IS-F & hopefully "maybe's" like the LF-A will help achieve this! Lexus have definately started their intro into this world well!!

gallery_2635_2_43398.jpg

As for your mention of the of the IS-F / IS250 simularities, besides the bonnet, the brake rotors kinda make a distinct difference for me!! Thats what the IS250 kinda lacks......decent brake rotors/calipers!!!! I assume the 350 has the same weakness!

I've seen a few ISF's on the road and where originally I was afraid that the bonnet hump and extended front bumper would ruin the lines of the car, it is quite subtle in the flesh (as opposed to photos) and looks good. Hate the rear exhausts though, and the fact that they are not connected.

• 2 weeks later...