Hey guys.

My car has now done 8000kms although I would like to do the service (Oil and filter change)

Had a look the other day it was about a 1L short so I topped it up.

Although please forgive me as I dont believe the car should run in to 15000ks on original oil... I work in the motorcycle industry and see the oil coming out and 15,000 is excessive.

I have a fully set up workshop at home.

Any one does their own services in between.

I bought and original oil filter(Toyota :) ) and Shell Synthetic oil...

In the manual you need a special tool attaches to your socket although I have a 3 jaw oil filter removal tool and my friend works for toyota sad its not a problem,

The filter looks a pain in the arse as it has a few seals....

Lastly where is it located so I dont have to search if any one knows?

I only intend to do the half services and the others at Lexus.

I like fresh oil ever 5000kms and believe its for the best....

Cheers

Vadim

Seriously, unless your car operates under some real tough conditions, why bother?? Lexus engineers wouldn't recommend 15K km service intervals unless they knew their product would be ok. After all their engines have a reputation for lasting the distance.

I used to change oil on my soarer every 5K kays, but only due to the turbos and the 300 odd horsepower. IS250's engine doesn't have either. Such frequent servicing is a bit of an overkill to be honest.

Seriously, unless your car operates under some real tough conditions, why bother?? Lexus engineers wouldn't recommend 15K km service intervals unless they knew their product would be ok. After all their engines have a reputation for lasting the distance.

I used to change oil on my soarer every 5K kays, but only due to the turbos and the 300 odd horsepower. IS250's engine doesn't have either. Such frequent servicing is a bit of an overkill to be honest.

I thank you for your opinion.

Although I have a guy that works for castrol and he did an analysis on a hell of alot of cars.

If I get a chance I will find you the findings of oil samples at 3000 ,5000 ,10000 ,15000

I believe from the report oil has lost a large proportion of its properties by 8000ks ,

Next Toyota Hiace service intervals are 15,000 one of the biggest reasons for it as the time was Telstra Australia refused to take on the new fleet unless Toyota Aus lift the service schedule to 15,000ks intervals (Originally 10,000)

So there are alot more reason to change of intervals than toyota engineers. I think if you ask any mechic or engineer for that matter most will tell you. The more frequent the better.

My question is has any one serviced their car? If so are their any tips and the location of the filter basket as its not an exposed filter?

I think I'm with Dan on this one too... they would have intervals set at 15k due to testing and knowing their own product.

I used to change the oil, filter & plugs every 5000km on my Soarer too, but it put out 400kW at the wheels, so was a bit different to the IS250.

BTW: "If you look straight down at the front of the engine, at the bottom you should see a silver cannister. That's the filter housing."

(From the US Lexus forum)

Of course oil will degrade with distance travelled. The question is, whether it will degrade sufficiently enough to be not good for the engine. In terms of the IS250, I reckon she'll be right.

In regards to the hiace vans... that change would still have to be approved by toyota engineers. Do you think if telstra asked for 50K kay intervals they would let that happen? Of course not. Obviously 15K kays still sits in the safe range. 10K kays vs 15K kays = more money for toyota service revenue vs telstra saving cash on servicing. I think every manufacturer would love to have people service their cars every 1K kays, they'd make so much money....

Of course oil will degrade with distance travelled. The question is, whether it will degrade sufficiently enough to be not good for the engine. In terms of the IS250, I reckon she'll be right.

In regards to the hiace vans... that change would still have to be approved by toyota engineers. Do you think if telstra asked for 50K kay intervals they would let that happen? Of course not. Obviously 15K kays still sits in the safe range. 10K kays vs 15K kays = more money for toyota service revenue vs telstra saving cash on servicing. I think every manufacturer would love to have people service their cars every 1K kays, they'd make so much money....

It cost me $70 to have it my way.

I dont have to pay toyota so their is no issue and I dont drive the car mutch so I ahve my reasons.

Although when breaking a motor in I think its best to change your oil more often than 15 000k intervals

Ps my first service at Lexus is free :) :gav:

I'm fairly sure the car's engine will be well broken in by 15,000 kays...

By all means, do it if you can be bothered. Is it in any way necessary? Of course it isn't.

I'm with you on that, 100%.

Lexus engineers are not dumb by any means and if they saw an urge to change oil every 5000 kms - they would recommend it. Obviously they checked / tested everything, aimed at best quality and service and came up with 15000 kms interval, which I would not argue.

To the Author of this thread - maybe worth checking the "extra" service required? Recently I was looking through the book and saw the requirement for extra service for certain conditions of use. As per previous posts - if you're running a tuned version of the car or some heavy mods - different story but if you don't - sit back and enjoy the car ;)

Like I sad.

Im not talking out of my ass I see engines apart all the time. For me the first 15,000ks are some of the most important. The small little files that miss the filter flow around the sump and the pumps. Most will get filtered out some stay in the system.

As I sad befor im not really interested if or not you would do it, Its completely up to you... If you are a mechanic who works on motors that fair enough. But most here buy their car new and replace it when the lease runs out.

To give you an example I race my Bike at Oran and Eastern and change oil at ever meet.. Again some dont a larger proprtion do..

I really just wanted to know if you ahve serviced your own car ..If so wanted some tips....as to locations and any difficulties....

It does not seem their is any difficulty so I will have it done this weekend..

PS if Toyota engineers are so smart how come my car is more tha 1L down on oil....? Im sure their are explanations and I can argue for and against.. Im simply in a position where I dont have to take a chance....

If it's down on oil, get it checked by the dealer. I've had four services done on my car already, and each time I take it to get it serviced, the oil dipstick shows full level before change. It just shouldn't happen, it shouldn't burn oil. Especially not after 8K kays!

Sounds like your car is an exception (not going as far as saying it's a lemon), but 99% of IS250's will be fine with 15K service intervals, as recommended by the manufactuer. I'd be more inclined to listen to manufacturer recommendations, as after all, they have designed the car, tested the car for hundreds of thousands kilometres, and came up with the appropriate service interval being 15K kays.

But by all means, feel free to pour money down the drain changing oil every 5K kays mate* :blink:

*Of course if you only do 5K kays per year, you need to change oil every 12 months, but you get my point :)

I'm with you all the way with this one illusivedreams.

Servicing intervals have become a crucial part of the sales-package nowadays. Any manufacturer who'd dare recommend changing the oil after the first 5000km or re-introduce 10,000km intervals would surely be committing commercial suicide with their new car sales. Even if they did recommend it, they wouldn't dare say it. Oil has evolved over the last few years - but not by that much!

All your points have been correct in my views. I don't intend to keep the car after the warranty period runs out, hence not caring about replacing the oil more regularly. Dumping a bunch of "long-life" additives to oil isn't necessarily the be-all-and-end-all. (kind of like adding extra preservatives into our food - yummy... not.) Bear in mind that Lexus engines are world-renown for their "gentleness" on oils and the larger than normal sump for a 2.5 ltr motor ensures you're unlikely to run out between intervals.

Factory oil change intervals vary from country to country as well. I think I read somewhere that the U.S. interval for the IS250 is 5000miles.

You know the motor will love you for it, it's not going to cost you much - just do it!

p.s. What type of oil will you be putting in? OEM or something different? What spec??

I'm with you all the way with this one illusivedreams.

Servicing intervals have become a crucial part of the sales-package nowadays. Any manufacturer who'd dare recommend changing the oil after the first 5000km or re-introduce 10,000km intervals would surely be committing commercial suicide with their new car sales. Even if they did recommend it, they wouldn't dare say it. Oil has evolved over the last few years - but not by that much!

All your points have been correct in my views. I don't intend to keep the car after the warranty period runs out, hence not caring about replacing the oil more regularly. Dumping a bunch of "long-life" additives to oil isn't necessarily the be-all-and-end-all. (kind of like adding extra preservatives into our food - yummy... not.) Bear in mind that Lexus engines are world-renown for their "gentleness" on oils and the larger than normal sump for a 2.5 ltr motor ensures you're unlikely to run out between intervals.

Factory oil change intervals vary from country to country as well. I think I read somewhere that the U.S. interval for the IS250 is 5000miles.

You know the motor will love you for it, it's not going to cost you much - just do it!

p.s. What type of oil will you be putting in? OEM or something different? What spec??

helix_ultra_5w_40.gif

With OEM Filter.

Thank you for your support.last1 Although I dont want to keep the car after warranty ..Not for other reasons than my other half will want a new car.

I think when breaking a motor in ints important to change oil every 5,000kms.

I dont want to argue with any one any more...And please dont tell me Im pissing money up the wall..Unless you are an Oil tech or a mechanic which you dont seem to be... I do work in a workshop 6 days per week, Yet Im not as adment as you about oil and im not telling you , you are an idiot for not doing the oil changes prior to 15,000. So if you are not an expert why are you lecturing me?

Oh dear...

My uncle has an 05 IS250, bought it since new. Car had oil changed as per recommended intervals. He lives in the country, does a lot of kays, has a bit over 150K kays on the odo (beats me why he hasn't sold it yet, but never mind, he keeps his cars for a loooong time). And guess what. No problems with the engine what so ever, never had any problems. And probably won't have any problems for a loooong time, even when he sells it with 350K+ on the odo (that's when he sold his last car, LS400, with engine in very good condition still, it's a Lexus after all)

I may not be a grease monkey or an oil scientist, but everyone can use logic and common sense. 5K kay oil changes on the IS250 is an overkill. Period. Since you work in the workshop 6 days a week, how many IS250's have you seen come in with broken engines due to 15K service intervals??? With what it is you're claiming Mr Expert, you must be inundated with work! Damn, those IS250's are lemons aren't they?

So why don't you service it every 1,000 kays then?? I think it would be very appropriate with your reasoning, don't you think? That way they will work forever without a problem, all the way to the million kilometre mark.

Because we all care that those cars are still around in 30 years time. /end sarcasm

P.S. So I'm an idiot now, for servicing my car every 15K kays? Grow up!

P.P.S. While I'm not a professional grease monkey, I am not afraid of using a spanner. I've modified and worked on my soarer all by myself for years, not exactly rocket science...

@DANSLEX

LOL, like your comment mate (in a positive way).

@illusivedreams

If you have got the problem with oil being consumed quicker from new - just take it to Lexus and get off your high horse here, we're only trying to give you our thoughts on the subject, not to teach you Mr Expert so relax and use the spell / grammar check next time you write. Thanks.

Its not about IS 250 or Lexus,

My best friend works for Sydney City, yopu guys should have a chat with him may open your eyes.

lexus are very reliable very....... that is not the question at hand i simply disagree with you on the service intervals...

You think you know better than me and are telling me Im pissing my money up the wall? Im telling you I think you a wrong .

Not a simgle person posted the replay to my question which is I needed advice on the service element...

I dont need your advice on what I should do with my money.. you made your point I got it and do not agree stop trying to convince me otherwise...

unless you can actually put data on oil or engine wear? If you can enough....

This is an anyalysis done by a member I know on the Ford Forum.

You can have this done on your car any time to see if and not the oil is holding up.

I think you can relax to 10,000kms once the engine is broken in

I have always been curious about the quality of oil that the dealers used when servicing my car and whether the manufacturers recommended oil change intervals were really safe. I grew up as a 5,000-7,500km oil change person but was willing to see if times really had changed.

So, when I changed the oil last weekend I took a sample and sent it off to be analysed. I wanted to go to the full 15,000km but just couldn't do it. I felt bad enough going over 10,000km.

Anyway, below is the result of the testing:

This is the first oil sample I have had done in my 2004 Ford Falcon XR6. The car has 85,324km's on it and the oil sample was done after 7 months and 11244kms in the car.

Also, the car was fitted with a LPG dual fuel setup at 81907kms.

Date Sampled 30/08/08

Oil Castrol FMX Magnatec 10w30

Oil Added 0.0

Metals (ppm)

Aluminium_____2

Copper________3

Chromium______1

Iron_________12

Lead_________11

Tin___________1

Nickel_______<1

Contaminants and Additives (ppm)

Silicon_______4

Boron________<5

Sodium________2

Potassium____45

Phosphorus__705

Molybdenum___97

Magnesium____19

Calcium____1771

Zinc________848

Physical Tests

Water______________________<0.1

Nitration (Abs)_____________8.2

Viscosity (Cst,40°)________69

PQ Index__________________<10

Glycol (Abs)________________1.6

Petrol (% by Distillation)_<2.5%

Diagnosis

Current Sample

All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Fuel dilution satisfactory. Viscosity within specified operating range.

Action: As oil and filter already changed, resample at next recommended interval to monitor and establish wear trend.

Note:

Sample information form states car swtiched to LPG at 81,907kms.

Make of it what you will.

PS This is what the results mean.

What it all means.

Aluminium - Pistons, bearings, bushings, torque converter, washers, gears, housings, pumps, dust

Chromium - Piston rings, bearings, shafts, gears, coolant additive

Copper - Bearings, bushings, thrust washers, bronze gears, clutch packs, oil cooler

Iron - Cylinders/liners, crankshaft, valve train, piston pins, gears, bearings

Lead - Bearings, bushes, clutch pack, grease, oil additive, petrol additive

Silicon - Dust entry, oil anti-foaming additive, coolant additive, seals and gaskets

Sodium - Coolant additive, oil detergent additive

Tin - Bearings, bushes, plating on pistons, alloy of bronze

PQ Index - This test measures the Total Iron in the sample irrespective of particle size

Water - Indicates water contamination due to the presence of coolant or a build-up of condensation

Fuel- Indicates petrol/diesel contamination due to leaking injectors, pump or carburettor

Viscosity - A measure of the oils resistance to flow at a given temperature

Not a simgle person posted the replay to my question which is I needed advice on the service element...

Instead of mouthing off at everyone, I suggest you read my post on Dec 1 2009, 02:40 PM. I answered your question about the location of the filter housing.

@DANSLEX

Hehe, cheers! Are you polish by the way? your nickname sounds like a polish name that's all...

Sounds like you're getting confused. We're talking about IS250's service interval, on a Lexus forum, in an IS250 section...

My best friend works for Sydney City, yopu guys should have a chat with him may open your eyes.

You should have a chat with my mechanic, he sees no problem with servicing my car every 15K kays, it may open your eyes.

lexus are very reliable very....... that is not the question at hand i simply disagree with you on the service intervals...

You loudly disagree, without providing any genuine or logical reason for doing so. In fact, there is no substance behind your argument, only that you "disagree with us on the service intervals", but have nothing to back up your opinion, and I emphasise your opinion.

You think you know better than me and are telling me Im pissing my money up the wall? Im telling you I think you a wrong.

Yes, you constantly say that you 'think' we are wrong, however again, you have nothing to prove that your argument in fact is right. Please give us something that will convince us you have a valid argument, rather than "oh, coz my mate said so"...

I dont need your advice on what I should do with my money.. you made your point I got it and do not agree stop trying to convince me otherwise...

We're merely questioning your basis for doing so... still no answer.

First of all, different car, differnt engine, different everything. And it's a Ford! Secondly, whatever that is, means absolutely nothing. You want to prove your point, show us a comparison between a car (preferably an IS250, not a substandard alternative like an XR6) that is serviced every 10K, and one that is serviced every 15K. Whatever that is you posted doesn't add anything to this.

I agree that our cars need to be serviced earlier than 15K kays if they don't do them in 12 months time. Also, if they work in extreme conditions, such as cold temperatures, or hot temperatures, or if the vehicle is used lots for things such as towing etc. But your average use vehicle that does the kays within 12 months etc without a harsher than average life, 15K is perfectly fine. Of course, you haven't even specified your usage patterns, so who knows...

Hehe, cheers! Are you polish by the way? your nickname sounds like a polish name that's all...

Yes I am polish, any relatives polish on your side or maybe are you polish?

@illusivedreams

Hate to say this as a new member but really - you're comparing Australian Ford which is a sh*t-box to a Lexus and your mate from Sydney City says something because something - no sense here at all. There is absolutely no quality comparison between those cars. LOL. As Atlantis said - stop mouthing off at everyone here giving you their opinions because nobody is really arguing whatever you want to do. We all say - IF YOU WANT TO / IF YOU CAN BE BOTHERED - DO IT. It is your car and we can only recommend you something or not, we can't tell you to do something or not, nor can the manufacturer. It is your car and do whatever you want so just let it go and stop trying to make a point here because it is a personal preference and "no two drivers or driving / servicing methods are the same". If you don't understand what I've just written and still try to scream over (at least) me, I will simply ignore whatever you write and please - don't think this is an abusive message in any way, it is not. If you ask a question on a forum - be ready to get recommendations / suggestions. Next time I suggest putting a direct question and a disclaimer that you are not interested in anyone else's opinion. That will go down really well.

Over and out!

Yes I am polish, any relatives polish on your side or maybe are you polish?

O kurwa... czesc, jak sie masz! :)

Yep, me too.

@DANSLEX

Sounds like you're getting confused. We're talking about IS250's service interval, on a Lexus forum, in an IS250 section...

You should have a chat with my mechanic, he sees no problem with servicing my car every 15K kays, it may open your eyes.

You loudly disagree, without providing any genuine or logical reason for doing so. In fact, there is no substance behind your argument, only that you "disagree with us on the service intervals", but have nothing to back up your opinion, and I emphasise your opinion.

You think you know better than me and are telling me Im pissing my money up the wall? Im telling you I think you a wrong.

Yes, you constantly say that you 'think' we are wrong, however again, you have nothing to prove that your argument in fact is right. Please give us something that will convince us you have a valid argument, rather than "oh, coz my mate said so"...

We're merely questioning your basis for doing so... still no answer.

First of all, different car, differnt engine, different everything. And it's a Ford! Secondly, whatever that is, means absolutely nothing. You want to prove your point, show us a comparison between a car (preferably an IS250, not a substandard alternative like an XR6) that is serviced every 10K, and one that is serviced every 15K. Whatever that is you posted doesn't add anything to this.

I agree that our cars need to be serviced earlier than 15K kays if they don't do them in 12 months time. Also, if they work in extreme conditions, such as cold temperatures, or hot temperatures, or if the vehicle is used lots for things such as towing etc. But your average use vehicle that does the kays within 12 months etc without a harsher than average life, 15K is perfectly fine. Of course, you haven't even specified your usage patterns, so who knows...

Guys your missing the Point!

Why should I provide my usuage pattern.? Again Im not asking you for advice am I? no Im not and If you dont understand this I will make it clear.

I DO NOT NEED YOUR ADVICE ON IF AND WHEN I SHOULD SERVICE MY CAR. IM SERVICING MY CAR! I NEED IT TO KNOW THE LCATION OF THE OIL FILTER.

Insted of helping me with what I do not need you talked alot........ On the other hand another memeber simply provided me with a great diagram i can use and this thread can finish its life.

I have never in my entire life been on a forum where you get flammed for trying to service your car it is always encouraged...

If you also look at the thread there is as many people who service their car more frequently than ever 15,000ks yet you do not stop screaming and forcing your opinion.

Bartek at the end of the day you still did not answer my question . Why do you not simply post. Sorry I do not service my car and would not have a clue where the oil filter is or for that matter the sump plug and I can not suggest to you how to help you do the service. But In my great wisdom I want give you my opnion I know you do not need it or want it but since I dont not know hopw to help you with your question I will talk about what I think any way.