hey guys

i havent got a IS250 YET, very soon

within a couple of months

i'll be trading in a '04 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury

but anyhow

i want to make my IS250 "sporty" i know its not incredably fast, ive heard its like between 7.6 - 8.2 sec's for 0-100.

but im a student so dont have the most money to spend, and my dad said his getting me the car, and i have to pay for insurnace and stuff (still LOVE that his getting me a feakin lexus for my first car)

but i heard somewhere that if u drill a hole in the intake cover thing, u can get a throatier sound, without spending any money on a Joe-Z or F Sport intake (heard its expensive in australia) and i want to save that for a exhaust system

but i also heard i can lose power if the hole is too big, how big should the hole be?? i dont wanna lose power cuz its not that fast to begin with, lol

thanks

I don't think you should drill the intake. Even if you do the difference will probably be minimal anyway.

I suppose playing around with the resonator which may emit a louder sound.

At the end of the day, If you want a throatier sound you will have to go for a POD filter and/or upgraded intake.

I don't think you should drill the intake. Even if you do the difference will probably be minimal anyway.

I suppose playing around with the resonator which may emit a louder sound.

At the end of the day, If you want a throatier sound you will have to go for a POD filter and/or upgraded intake.

Jom is right. You may make more noise but its because its not doin what its supposed to do. Drilling it isnt the way to go. Your better off lookin at gettin a proper intake. Have a look at takeda intakes on ebay. Not only an awesome sound but more power as well.

Hi mate,

Just don't do it!!!. As the other guys mentioned, just save up for a well designed intake. I have the F-Sport, and I assure you that you wont match the throatie sound by hacking at the top cover with a hole saw. You will introduce dust into areas where you don't want though.

Keep an eye out on either this forum, or ebay. They aren't that bad price wise.

Drilling a hole is the old method of getting some more "oomphy" noise. Yes sure do it, on a '95 Magna or something else, not on a Lexus. You are making the car cheaper by doing so, voiding the warranty (if anything goes wrong).

Congratulations on the new/future car, good choice but please don't make it cheaper with cheap mods. We understand you don't have much money while being at a uni but please - do it the right way. Maybe it is worth waiting and saving some $$$?

Anyway, my 5c worth.

At the end of the day it is your car and you will do whatever you like to it so don't take our recommendations as must-do things, we can only suggest/advise to the best of our knowledge (but still in my opinion Lexus with drilled holes to make it sound better is simply a ruined car).

Okay im gonna be the odd 1 out..

drilling holes in the airbox is the cheapest way to get good induction noise..

so do it if you want the sound

though you will have no performance gain at all

ill be making a video of intakes and exhaust comparisons in the near future

so stay tuned

Okay im gonna be the odd 1 out..

drilling holes in the airbox is the cheapest way to get good induction noise..

so do it if you want the sound

though you will have no performance gain at all

ill be making a video of intakes and exhaust comparisons in the near future

so stay tuned

lol..... i just came across this thread and wanted to be the odd one out! damn it ilvs1004s. u always have to one up me aye?

anyway, congrats on the car (once u get it of course!)

i understand the desire to mod your car so i'll throw an idea your way. this is basically what i would have done if i was limited on funds! (dont worry, we all started that way!)

INTAKE

Joez Intake Pipe about $200 shipped. (Basically same design as F-Sport Intake!)

Blitz Filter about $90 shipped. This is just a drop in piece!

Drill hole same size as F-Sport Intake at front of box where it sits behind the headlight! Should be about a playing card in size.

For reference: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/350756-so-i-drilled.html

Of course if you were really stuck you could just get the items one at a time!

When you change out to a proper intake you're gonna ditch the OEM box anyway!

If you do happen to sell the car theres a few members here who have the original box intact who have no intention of putting it back in! Myself included! I'm sure you'd be able to work

something out with one of the members if the need arises!

EXHAUST

Resonator removal on midpipe! $50 - $100 but remember to keep the resonator so you can have it welded back on if needed!

http://my.is/forums/f122/resonator-removed-381094/

EXHAUST TIPS

http://my.is/forums/f154/installed-4-magnaflow-tips-404446/

The above will be less than $500 and should be enough to keep you happy for some time.

If i could go back i probably would have done it this way lol......

So much money on parts lol..... ilvs1004s, u'd know the feeling mate!

wow thanks guys

i think i'll just buy a Joe-Z intake, not as expensive as i thought

im gonna be getting some 19" Enkei FS-01's i think

they look REAL nice, and not a cheapo look

but this IS a few months away, and i dont know how to install anything to a car

anyone know any good places around Milsons Point, Sydney??

Thanks for the help

really appriciate it

wow thanks guys

Thanks for the help

really appriciate it

Hey,

Great choice in wheels! I remember seeing these when I first bought my IS!!! Stylish and great wheel!!

As for the intake, or other small mods, I work in town so when you get your ride, let me know and I will give you a hand!!!

wow thanks guys

Thanks for the help

really appriciate it

Hey,

Great choice in wheels! I remember seeing these when I first bought my IS!!! Stylish and great wheel!!

As for the intake, or other small mods, I work in town so when you get your ride, let me know and I will give you a hand!!!

Happy to help out as well! :-)

nah he didnt we were talking about it a while ago

theres a vid link

thanks ilvs1004s, lol

no, i havent removed the resonator. i've got mazzuri headers so removing the resonator would have made it too loud for my tastes.

I had removed my resonator, and while its not a massive change, there is a change. Gives a more raspy sound - euro style. Would recommend for sure.

With my Intake I also got a little extra growl - removed the little rubber thing inside the intake (extra hole) and dropped in a Blitz filter. The Blitz alone makes a sound difference.

So if a cheap and cheerful mod is what you want, go for the above! :)

wow

really guys, thanks for all the information

one of the best and friendly forums ever, seriously, thanks again

i'll be getting the car a little bit later, like around May (i get P's in June, getting it a little before so i can get used to it for the P test)

BUT

ill do more research into removing the resonator, cuz i think that sounds REALLY REALLY good

its the sound im looking for, i dont want TOO loud all the time cuz my mum will drive it (rarely, like once a week)

so having it sound normal when driving around and loud when smashing it, well that a win win.

and i think i'll also look into getting exhaust tips, the 4inch ones

and it'll only cost me a bit, so no need for a intake or anything else, that means for money saved, :D

but like i said, its my first ever car, and i dont know how to mod a car or anything, total noob

and sorry for the late reply, just started Year 11, getting into all the classes and all that, just a hassle

LOVING engineering, best subject evar.

ahahaha, yeh, lol :P

when i get the car ill come and back tell u guys

and i'll definatly go on a cruise one day with u guys

dont exclude me cuz im young, XD!!

lol

ahahaha, yeh, lol tongue.gif

when i get the car ill come and back tell u guys

and i'll definatly go on a cruise one day with u guys

dont exclude me cuz im young, XD!!

lol

haha people have this perception to drive a lexus you have to be old but thats totally a mis perception. there is quite a few younger people in this club.