This might sound pathetic but every time I lock/unlock my IS I am reminded of it's TOYOTA origins given the Aurion has exactly the same beeping noise.

Has anyone successfully disabled this beep? I guess some might argue it acts as a handy audible locator when you can't remember where you parked but these occasions are so rare I could happily live without it. Besides if you're really stuck the 'panic' button on the fob that activates the horn could do the same job.

OK - given the lack of replies looks like its over to the service guys next time it's in though not due until Jan'11. Could someone else enquire sooner?

Just heard another Aurion pull up outside our place tonight and remind me exactly of what I was talking about in my original post!!

It's a Toyota thing. It doesn't matter which model, they all have the same system & sound. You'd probably have to go after market alarm/imobaliser to change it.

It's quite a funny thing, in any shopping centre car park almost every second beep is a toyota. Personally I don't mind it.

Clearly not the only one that finds this generic 'parts bin' beeper a disappointing effort from Lexus. I think the sound comes from under the plastic cover that sits at the base of the windscreen but it's harder to pin point than you might think!

Car going in soonish for investigation of a dash rattle so will be brave enough to lay this additional request on the service guys then and see what they say.

I've heard there are 3 different sounds you can program this to.

1. Lexus/Toyota: which you have

2. BMW sound: but then the diff starts leaking oil

3. Merc sound: but then the Electrics start playing up

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif this is true ive heard of these lol. whats a little beep anyway. lexus is a luxury toyota and is pretty awesome effort by toyota considering what they produce.

• 4 years later...

reviving this thread...4 years later!!

did anyone find a way to disable the unlock sound ?

did anyone ask their dealer ? / can the dealer do this ?

the vehicle would be sooo much better without the high pitched beeping!

theres an easy way

take out the beeper done

i wanna try and remove mine sometime this week :)

apparently the buzzer is located here :

190440d1288761262-car-not-beeping-lexus.

i just read on a toyota forum, that you can remove the passenger wheel and the liners to get to the "buzzer" (don't need to remove bumper or fender! , :))

this process should be similar for the lexus i would assume?: (Post #12, and post #2)

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/122-2nd-generation-2008-2013/457097-find-wire-controls-beep-lock-unlock-function-2010-highlander.html

would disconnecting the buzzer have any side effects on the ECU ?

yeah just get under the guard liner

the buzzer harness shares and comes out from the side indicator harness
its usually a brown half ovaled shaped unit

Ok, so can the "buzzer" be removed Without removing the bumper and fender?

the "Buzzer" sounds like its located on the Drivers side wheel arch, im gonna try and take the wheel and well liner off and see what happens :)

do you have any pics ?

yeap remove wheel
detach the lower half of the wheel arch guards up to the centre of the guard Half way up and then reach for it

its clipped on to the actual chassis

or just take off the plug on the actual buzzer without removing the actual buzzer itself

and no i dont have pics
once you pull it apart it will be the only thats staring at you

like i said its a brown half circle unit with a quadrangle body

Edited by ilv1004s

yeap remove wheel

detach the lower half of the wheel arch guards up to the centre of the guard Half way up and then reach for it

its clipped on to the actual chassis

or just take off the plug on the actual buzzer without removing the actual buzzer itself

and no i dont have pics

once you pull it apart it will be the only thats staring at you

like i said its a brown half circle unit with a quadrangle body

Great thanks for the info!,

i will probably do this tomorrow :) (i'lll take some pics too),

BTW the "buzzer" is located on the DRIVER side yeah?

OMG this mod was so easy! took literally 5-10 minutes!! you dont even have to remove the wheel!!,

all you have to do is remove the 3 plastic tabs on the driver side fender/wheel well liner,

then reach in, disconnect and remove the "buzzer", and tape off the connection,

then just put the 3 plastic clips back in,

DONE!,

now there is No more beeping :) much better,

(i left the beeper in the glove box),

quick Pics:

1_IMG_9396.jpg

remove the 3 plastic clips holding the wheel well liner in place (Carefull NOT to break the plastic tabs),

1_IMG_9390.jpg

then disconnect and remove the famous toyota "Beeper"!! :)

QUESTION: Will there be any unknown "Side Effects" to the car from disconnecting the "buzzer"?

I have left the buzzer in the glove box just in case I need to re-connect it for some reason :)