Today I drove a Lexus IS250 Sports Luxury to Geelong and back.

i got a real world 5.7l/100km (49mpg) which surprised me a great deal.

this was on E10....same consumption as 98 octane.

maybe a little better then 98 octane. Im still not convinced about the quality of E10 for the engine though.

maybe a little better then 98 octane. Im still not convinced about the quality of E10 for the engine though.

I know we've all heard bad things about E10, but I don't see why Lexus would agree to its use if there was a problem. They have to honour a 4 year warranty!!

hm..i filled up mine with E10 today just to try it out

so far so good

i got a serivce next week

so ill try it again

maybe just my feeling

Power loss

Engine missing at idle (only in gear)

consumption still the same

and no it's not my plugs they been done 10K kms ago

I'm a bit wary of E10 - I know our cars are compatible but I'd still prefer PULP for peace of mind.

I think you can't judge it on just one tank of E10 - 2-3 continuous tanks to get a real feel I suppose.

From July next year I think it will replace regular ULP.

I'm a bit wary of E10 - I know our cars are compatible but I'd still prefer PULP for peace of mind.

I think you can't judge it on just one tank of E10 - 2-3 continuous tanks to get a real feel I suppose.

From July next year I think it will replace regular ULP.

peace of mind against what?

errr...1 tank is plenty. lol. you don't think it'll run differently on the next tank, do you? :)

so far so good

so ill try it again

maybe just my feeling

Power loss

hmmm..that's weird. Power loss...none noticed, but then I don't drive it like a sports car so probably wouldn't notice.

engine miss at idle is a funny one though.

I'm actually steering away from E10 and anything below 98 octane. I had to fill up with E10 last week (Caltex at Rouse Hill was too busy and line out on Windsor road and only pump available was E10), anyway I have noticed that when the car is in idle at lights it is uneasy and revs up and down ever so slightly, but not the standard. Since filling up again with 98 octane this stopped.

I'm a premium buyer to stay; no more E10 for me.

so far so good

so ill try it again

maybe just my feeling

Power loss

hmmm..that's weird. Power loss...none noticed, but then I don't drive it like a sports car so probably wouldn't notice.

engine miss at idle is a funny one though.

yeah maybe just a bad batch of fuel

thats why ill give it another tank of E10 and then see

but so far..

it drinks abit more than normal

not alot but very minimal..

but ill say its not a bad feeling when u see the $$$ meter stop at 65 on a full tank :D

peace of mind against what?

errr...1 tank is plenty. lol. you don't think it'll run differently on the next tank, do you? :)

Peace of mind that the engine is burning pure petrol. When you run E10 your valves are burning hotter and overtime there have been cases of engine breakdown in older cars. Our cars are probably designed to be able to run hotter valves but the idea of running cooler is more ideal. Also Ethanol is a big absorber of moisture - possible water sediments in your tank over time, less energy per particle amongst other things.

At the end of the day E10 doesn't sell it for me to save a few cents at the pump. So I only speak for myself.

Unless you run the car right down...there's still another ~10L when the fuel warning lights up giving an inaccurate conclusion.

I'm not trying to justify that I'm right or wrong or vice versa. I was actually part of a study regarding alternate fuels a few years ago and these are just some of the findings mentioned.

LOL just had an earfull from my mechanic lol

he goes why the *BLEEP* did you put in E10

dont do that man..

lol

miss firing still happens..

i think ill be steering away from E10

i've filled the car up once, and it was at BP with the BP Ultimate Unleaded 98 octane (i think that its called that)

the car was REALLY low on fuel, the gauge was past the E marker, cuz i forgot to pump it up a couple of times while driving round, lol

but it was $80 i think for a full tank, is this around how much u guys pay as well??

and is Caltex better or worse or any different??

thanks

Subconscious or not, the ECU in my last car could easily tell the difference between fuel types by showing the activity on both knock sensors in real-time. Optimax/V-Power being hugely inferior to Ultimate and 8000. I never ran any lower octane than 98 as the car wouldn't idle nor drive properly. This said, it was a 400kW turbocharged 3 litre so the tune was quite custom.

Subconscious or not, the ECU in my last car could easily tell the difference between fuel types by showing the activity on both knock sensors in real-time. Optimax/V-Power being hugely inferior to Ultimate and 8000. I never ran any lower octane than 98 as the car wouldn't idle nor drive properly. This said, it was a 400kW turbocharged 3 litre so the tune was quite custom.

lol...handy to know :)

hm..

lemme guess

supra?

2JZ lol with a big ass turbo lol? hahaha

power FC? for tuning?? or somewhere along that line hahah microtech/haltech?

if you drive your car everyday

most of the times u can sense even the slight difference and you'll be spot on

Soarer... with 2JZ + GT3540R & PowerFC.

Was my every day car, so yes, I could feel the differences between fuels and the hand controller confirmed it with pure numbers.

just a question

does it feel weird driving such a powerful turbo car, then a normally aspirated 153kw v6?

my plan with cars, is to slowly gradually move up in power

im hoping to keep my IS250 till i can get a M3 E46, then so on

i just keep thinking it'll feel weird going from 400KW to 153KW

just a question

does it feel weird driving such a powerful turbo car, then a normally aspirated 153kw v6?

you ask very odd questions. I'm glad there was no internet when i was 17!! I hate to think what I'd have asked.

its just something i wanna know...

since im 17, first car, havent driven a 400KW car yet

most powerful ive been in would be a Ferrari 612 in korea, that was some powerful sh*t, :D

Believe me, 153kw is nicer than 400.

You can't enjoy a 400kw setup as an every day car. It was far too much power for a street car... I was rarely able to get traction, even with 285 wide tyres on the rear.

Best I ever did at the drags was a 13.2 pass. Turned the boost all the way down to 12psi which gave me ~300kw, launched in 2nd gear and still did a 350m "burnout" only getting grip right before the line. I did pass the line at 200km/h though, indicating the car had potential to be a low 10 second car if the grip was available. The car was equally useless at the track... best time at Wakefield was 1:18. I had a smart Roadster with 52kW at the wheels and it used to get 1:21 lap times. It's not all about the power, it's about the package.

Ideally the IS350 would be my ideal setup. No mods.

today it's 100%

car feels really sluggish now

feels like it's choking

iv used half a tank

so im gonna go fill up with 98 once it reaches the quater

really? hmmm....why didn't i notice that? maybe because I was just cruising on the freeway? I haven't driven it since.

what about fuel consumption? that would HAVE to have suffered too if it's down on power.