Hi Guys,

I am looking to purchase a IS250, I just have a few questions hope you guys can help me. I'm currently looking at the IS250, bmw 3 series and the audi a4.

1. Are there any differences between the 07, 08, 09, 10 models? I'm probably looking at the perstige model.

2. Should I get a new or used one? Looking to spend maybe 45-60k

3. What would be the cost of maintaince per year?

4. Any common problems with the electrics etc?

5. Would the IS250 be good bang for buck compared with the audi a4 and bmw 3 series?

6. Does the IS250 have good mileage?

7. Is the warranty transferrable if I purhcase a 2nd hand vehicle?

Thanks heaps!

1. There are slight differences 06-08 same 09-10 differences is bars side mirrors, nav units etc (theres more)

2. getting a good used example is good for your budget you can even get a decent SL or a X for that price

3. Cost in a year depends on how much you drive it pretty much just service

4. So far for me i have no problems with electrics

5. for the same priced 3 or A4 (320i or 2.0L A4) the is250 is much better car interms of performance and options

6. IS250 has great fuel consumption for it's weight and engine size. (around 600km combined but on the freeway iv done max 1100kmish (a tad over) on a 60L tank

7. YEs and warranty is transferable unlike other car makers, Lexus actually takes there customers seriosuly and carry out warranty work if the factory warranty still applies, they even give you a loan car for the day.

I'll just add to ilv1004s' excellent response ...

1. There are slight differences 06-08 same 09-10 differences is bars side mirrors, nav units etc (theres more)

The latest incarnation in mid-2009 is most noticeable by the 'L'-shaped reverse lights and the indicators mounted on the side mirrors. Seventeen-inch alloy wheels come as standard (earlier Prestige models came with 16"). The latest Prestige model also comes with a USB jack and iPod capability (in addition to the 3.5 mm Audio In jack) and VDIM (previously only on higher models - Google VDIM for details). The highly-acclaimed Mark Levinson audio system is not available as an option on the latest Prestige model, but might be found on older used models (thanks dis-lex-sic).

2. getting a good used example is good for your budget you can even get a decent SL or a X for that price

3. Cost in a year depends on how much you drive it pretty much just service

4. So far for me i have no problems with electrics

5. for the same priced 3 or A4 (320i or 2.0L A4) the is250 is much better car interms of performance and options

There's a running joke amongst Lexus owners (within this forum and without) about the standard features - or lack of them - in BMWs. The number of standard features was always a major factor in the numerous awards that the IS250 picked up in the couple of years after its release in late 2005.

6. IS250 has great fuel consumption for it's weight and engine size. (around 600km combined but on the freeway iv done max 1100kmish (a tad over) on a 60L tank

Yes, for its weight and engine size. The IS250's current class rivals (e.g. 320i) feature turbo four-cylinder engines, which are more frugal with fuel. But then, you're not getting a six. B)

7. YEs and warranty is transferable unlike other car makers, Lexus actually takes there customers seriosuly and carry out warranty work if the factory warranty still applies, they even give you a loan car for the day.

3. What would be the cost of maintaince per year?

The first year/15,000 km service is free. It'd be great if anyone can comment on the typical cost of other scheduled services ...

There's an existing forum thread that discusses the cost of replacement tyres.

well for my rx350 the 60K serivce cost me 900ish.

so im guessing there abouts

but i dont take my is250 to lexus unless it's a warranty service

and i change oil at 10000K max at a cost of around 200-300

Lexus of Sutherland claim a standard service is $495.00. Haven't had my first one yet tho, but as mentioned above, the 15k/12month one is free.

Expect to pay about 5 to 600 dollars for a standard service. With that, you get a complimentary loan car to use for the day, with full fuel tank.

IS250 is a great bang for your buck, when compared to the 3 series or the a4. What you get standard on the lex, you'll be paying thousands in as options in the germans. I'd say, when buying brand new, a similarly specced 3 series or a4, you'd be paying good 30K more. Value for money wise, you can't beat it. Quality wise, Lexus is a notch better as well, though it does have its own minor issues also. Nothing is perfect.

The level of service is a LOT better as well.

I get about 600 kays out of a tank in the city. About 800 kays in the country, but I got a heavy foot and overtake heaps, so you could do better than that.

There are no problems with electrics at all. Haven't really come across any common ones.

the IS250 is pretty good on fuel

but its also the way u drive

my avg is 10.6l/100km

but my tank avg now is 12.2l/100km

i can get the avg down the under 10l/100km easy, just its not fun, lol

Thanks for all the awesome answers!

I think I am now leaning towards a sports luxury or maybe a x model. Is there a significant difference between the 2?

Also I've noticed that there is quite abit of price difference between the 07 and 08 model. Why is this the case? Is this more of a warranty issue?

Would you guys buy a 07 or 08?

Oh and last question, how long does the warranty go for? and is there any way I can extend it? If so how many more years would I get?

the warranty goes for 4 years

we bought a used 2007 Sport model with optional EMV + Moonroof

it has warranty till Oct 2011 which in cludes roadside assist and lexus encore privleges

u can extend your warranty for another 3 years (im pretty sure its 3 years) but i dunno if its a full warranty like the first 4 year one, or just something your dealer does for you

as for '07 vs '08

i guess it more to do with the km's the car's done, and the warranty.

as far as i can tell, there are just a few difference between the 06 and 07, and even fewer (maybe even no differences) between the 07 and 08

im pretty sure the X's all have the EMV (nav, ML stereo, rear camera) but the one i looked at (i had a choice between a 07 Sport with 27000k's or a 07 X with 27000k's for the same price) it didn't have the reverse sensors or the front sensors, and didnt have the auto dimming or something rear view mirror, all X's also have 18" rims and the Sport suspension, leather seats

the Sport lux has all that (except 17" rims and normal suspension) plus radar cruise control, VDIM, wood interior (the silver interior is better IMO) and other stuff i cant remember right now, lol

i guess if you want a more "sporty" car and your gonna leave it stock get the X, if u want more luxury get a Sport Lux

but if your gonna change the rims and lower it, get a Sport Lux

but overall i recon the X is great value

Not sure of yr budget, but B8 A4 2.0T should be consider. After all it did knock Lexus off the prestige award in 2009. My mate has one with B&O system and sline pack looks good as well. With all gadget of wat Lexus has.

Hi Jimbo - Ive posted this information a few times throughout the forum, but the 4 yr factory warranty can be extended for a further 3 years (up to a total of 150,000kms on the clock) for a cost of about $2k. It is a Lexus warranty, and not a dealer or 3rd party warranty. It has the same coverage as the factory warranty, apart from interior trim and roadside assistance. Speak to the dealer about it. I got the extended warranty just prior to the factory one running out, and it just rolls over.

I've got a 2006 Prestige, and the thing still drives like new 70,000km and 4 years on. Only issues Ive ever had been relatively incidental. They included a squeaky drivers seat (fixed by dealer at service), a few creaks in the sunroof (fixed by dealer) and some noisy VVTi valves occasionally on a very cold start (fixed by dealer at service). All these issues were related more to the earlier 2005-07 builds. You wont get electrical issues with Lexus (touchwood!), unlike many of the Germans (Merc are notorious for dodgy electrics).

I agree with k2sty1, the X is excellent value, if you get hold of one.

Another difference with the X and the Sports Lux (and Prestige for that matter) is that the X doesn't have air-cond seats, just heated. You'll notice the seats aren't perforated, hence no cooling feature.

on the X i saw, it had cooled seats

my Sport only has heated cuz it's alcantara, not leather, still a black colour tho

Another difference with the X and the Sports Lux (and Prestige for that matter) is that the X doesn't have air-cond seats, just heated. You'll notice the seats aren't perforated, hence no cooling feature.

some have cooled and some dont

Hi All,

Just thought that I would add my experience: I am a current SL owner, and previously owned a BMW X5.

The points that I would note in favour of the Lexus are:

1. Extremely good after sales service - I use Lexus of Brighton and I've been very pleased with their approach.
  2. Loads of standard equipment in the Lexus compared to the BMW: I spent over $20k on extra's for the BMW, and I don't consider that any of that was 'fancy' (parking sensors, onboard computer, stereo upgrade, sunroof and alarm)
  3. A very quiet cabin, although this is a double edged sword (see below)

The not-so-positive observations I have are:

1. Some of the electronics do not work properly: the ones that don't are the rain sensing wipers, remote (keyless) entry and the ventilation controls. I have reported all these to Lexus, with detailed descriptions and in some cases showing the problem (keyless entry) - the car has now been twice returned with the comment that they have been checked and everything found to be operating properly. The rain sensing wipers are particularly annoying as Lexus have eliminated the (manually) adjustable intermittent wipers I've been used too in my cars up until now. Not a problem if the rain sensing worked, but it doesn't: I have to manually control the intermittent wipe, or put it onto a continuous wiper setting... a total PITA when the weather is wet.
  2. The quiet cabin means rattles are easily noticed. So far Lexus have been unable to eliminate a high-frequency buzz from the ash try (I leave it open and the buzz stops), or a sound from the dashboard (like a spring being stretched, which happens about 1 minute after the car is started).
  3. I find the alarms in the car to be incredibly annoying and totally pointless. I've disabled the seat belt alarm, but the car will let you turn it off when in drive or reverse ... and if you do, it goes beserk when you try and get out. I figure that these alarms make sense if had forgotten to put the car in Park and/or not engaged the parking brake before getting out, but they chime away anyway. You have to restart the car and then turn it off again to clear the alarm.

I really like the style, build quality and after sales service of the IS250 and Lexus, but I find that I don't like the car anywhere near as much as the BMW and I would be unlikely to repeat the purchase. Everything in the BMW just worked: no stupid games with rain sensing wipers, no watching what gear the car was in before I turned it off.. and no buzzes and rattles to irritate me as I drove.

To me the value in owning a car is the enjoyment you get from it ... and although some of the problems are minor, they have spoiled the enjoyment of driving it. I don't want to say that others are wrong to tell you how much they enjoy the car - I only wanted to relate my experience :)

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers,

David