At my last service Lexus tell me that my front brake pads and rotors are coming up for replacement.

The price of this job is almost on par if I went aftermarket.

I never really liked the feel of the OEM combination - Pedal feels too soft and the pads dust up too quickly.

I'll be using my existing calipers so same dimensions as OEM.

296 x 49.5mm

I'm looking at slotted rotors by DBA and with EBC green pads who do make them for our cars.

However ceramic pads are also becoming more affordable but I'm not sure who makes them for the IS250.

What are some experience with different rotor/pad combination for our cars?

U can try us eBay EbC red stuff is wat I advise to go for

good for street and bit of spirited driving

also dba or Rda slotted

Cevu will give u more insight

I thought EBC red stuff are for track use??

Yes this is true Jom, but he lives in a rural area without speed limits so the red pads are a must.

That and VP Motorsport 109 race fuel.

Just jokin ilv :D

lol funny guy jake

ebc ive been using ebc red stuff nearly on all my cars

and never had a problem with warming them up

next pads for my 2is is red stuff with the 350 calipers

cant wait lol

U can try us eBay EbC red stuff is wat I advise to go for

good for street and bit of spirited driving

also dba or Rda slotted

Cevu will give u more insight

me???

Ure the one with the big a** 350 rotors! Lol :-)

Now you just need some VP Motorsport 109.

BTW whats the life span of the EBC red compared to the genuine Lexus pads?

How much better is the braking performance or whats the difference as I've never experienced them.

and how harsh are they on the discs?

One of the people I know has EBC green stuff on his Mazda 3 on standard rotors! He hasn't had a complaint and they seem to be holding up alright.

Not sure what reds are like though??

The OEM Lexus combination isn't THAT bad as I originally said at the beginning of this thread, I'd just like something a bit better :)

Couple months ago i put the RDA slotted rotors, matched with Green Stuff.

Works very well, and most notable thing is barely any brake dust compared to the Lexus types.

well heres 1 option u can go for

IS350 set up

about 1K ish all up

did the conversionat home

LS460 DBA slooted

IS350 Front bradied Brake lines

IS350 Pads off Ebay

IS350 Calipers off a 08 IS350

Is350 Dust covers

OEM 250 Set up

007-2.jpg

Disc compare

011.jpg

350 SEt up

015.jpg

Works very well, and most notable thing is barely any brake dust compared to the Lexus types.

This is the setup I'm interested in. I've seen this setup on other cars but not on a Lexus.

Do you get more or less initial "bite" when you depress the brake pedal?

This is the setup I'm interested in. I've seen this setup on other cars but not on a Lexus.

Do you get more or less initial "bite" when you depress the brake pedal?

honestly i didnt feel any major difference when depressing on day to day driving (maybe a touch more bite if any), but when u mash it at higher speeds it does stop better

honestly i didnt feel any major difference when depressing on day to day driving (maybe a touch more bite if any), but when u mash it at higher speeds it does stop better

can you define 'better' please?

can you define 'better' please?

better as in it brakes/stops better... better than my worn out standard set-up i had. I havent compared it to different set-ups so not sure.

depends on previous brake condition, tyres, tarmac... cant exactly provide brake distance improvements

better as in it brakes/stops better... better than my worn out standard set-up i had. I havent compared it to different set-ups so not sure.

depends on previous brake condition, tyres, tarmac... cant exactly provide brake distance improvements

well obviously the braking distance can't be better normally, but if your old ones were rooted, then yes, I can understand the improvement...but then renewing standard would have done the trick too.

well obviously the braking distance can't be better normally, but if your old ones were rooted, then yes, I can understand the improvement...but then renewing standard would have done the trick too.

wow so negative mate.

the pads are suppose to work in different temp's

and also increases pedal feel and intial grab

wow so negative mate.

the pads are suppose to work in different temp's

and also increases pedal feel and intial grab

what? how's that negative? just stating the facts. Nothing negative about it at all. Braking distance is really determined by the grip of the tyres, so bigger brakes isn't going to change that. If you can get to lock up with the brakes you have, then you're not going to stop in a shorter distance by changing brakes.

I wonder how changing the size of discs/pads etc is compensated for with the braking bias? By that I mean, the system is set up a certain way...a particular amount of pressure is sent to the front brakes v the rear. if you put bigger brakes on the front, but send the same amount of pressure, isn't the front braking much more than it's meant to? I'm just thinking out loud really. It makes sense in my little mind anyway!

Although I DO wonder with modern technology how much of the braking is by design and how much is just left to the computer and ABS to work out.

Anyway, like I said, I've just often wondered.

well braking distance will decrease at higher speed

there is less fade

brake pads with lower temps (oem) will only be efficient untill a certain heat range

performance oriented pads tend to have a higher threshhold.

so at high speed braking obviously causes more heat than low speed braking.

which in results will reduce braking distance at the same speed

as for the bigger brakes

yes it does make a difference..

tyres are factors of braking as well

but most of the actual brakings done with the hardware if self.

bigger brakes = more stoping power

just by chaning disc it wont make much difference.

but chaning calipers and all it makes a diff

i know this for a first hand

cuz iv changed my brakes to bigger brakes and it makes a day and night difference

well braking distance will decrease at higher speed

there is less fade

brake pads with lower temps (oem) will only be efficient untill a certain heat range

performance oriented pads tend to have a higher threshhold.

so at high speed braking obviously causes more heat than low speed braking.

which in results will reduce braking distance at the same speed

yes...quite true. surely brake fade isn't going to happen with one brake application though is it? or even a couple? i've never driven mine hard enough to know....nor is it likely I will. I'd be quite disappointed, however, if that is the case.

I've had cars that are notoriously bad with brakes, but even so, I've never had brake fade unless I've been on the track, where you get repeated brake applications from high speed. Driving like that on the road is almost impossible.

live off a 90km/h road like me and it's possible

during sprited driving yes the oem pads to tend to give up after 3-4 hard brakes

I got the EBC green stuff pads for my IS250 Sports through Marion Brake & Clutch Spares Sydney, Id previously used EBC greens on my VW GTI and they worked really really well.....i recently wore them out and warped the front rotars, ( for the 2nd time ) so had to replace brake's and front disc's..

I wanted to try the Bendix Ultimates but non were in stock so opted for standard bendix with aftermarket discs......Now in all honost for standard ( semi fast ) city driving i cannot notice the difference between the EBC's and the basic Bendix....Im also suprised at the limited amount of dust coming off the pads.. :-)

its all good.

Ps Lexus quoted me $ 1,640. for the pad / disc replacement.

It ended up costing me $ 480. ALL UP through an accredited brake co. ( with warrenty )

Ps Lexus quoted me $ 1,640. for the pad / disc replacement.

It ended up costing me $ 480. ALL UP through an accredited brake co. ( with warrenty )

$1,640 quote for disc/pad replacements?? Hopefully not for just the fronts.

I got a quoted from a Sydney Lexus dealer $740 for a front disc and pad replacement.

it was with syd city lex...

and included

front disc's replaced

rears machined

and front and back pads replaced...

i was like WTF

and for the record on inspection from Pedders the rears actually had nothing wrong with them ....