2014-lexus-is_460x0w.jpg The Lexus IS started its life back in 1998, but after 12 years of existence the only thing this car is seeing is a small facelift for the 2011 model year. This may all change, however, because we are now hearing that this luxury sedan will be coming into its third generation in 2014.

To set up the stage a little, we’re going to talk a little about the Toyota FT-86, which we all know is the sports car developed in cooperation with Subaru that has been delayed quite a few times now. However, the FT-86 is not only about this sports coupe, or about the baby model rumored to be based on it. Rumors suggest that the next generation Lexus IS will also share the same platform with the FT-86 and that it will in fact be a four-door version of the future sports car. The design will also be inspired by the FT-86, but under the hood there will be a totally different engine.

Hit the jump to find out more details on the third generation Lexus IS.

Exterior and Interior

The 2014 Lexus IS will feature a totally new design language, inspired by the FT-86. However, do not expect to see the same sportiness or aggressiveness found in the Toyota sports model because the design will be adapted for a mid-class sedan. The interior will also offer all the technologies a driver could ask for in a $40k sedan.

The Engine

While the Toyota FT-86 will be powered by a 2.0-liter flat-4 Subaru sourced engine, the IS will be powered by a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder and/or a 3.6-liter flat-6. The 2014 Lexus IS F will continue with a high-powered V-8 with an output of more than 400 HP. The IS-F will sprint from 0 to 60 mph sprint in about 4.5 seconds and will hit a top speed of about 170 mph.

2014-lexus-is_460x0w.jpg

The Competition

The future Lexus IS will take on models like the Acura TL, Infiniti G, and the BMW 3-Series that will all enter into their new generations by then. BMW usually puts petrol inline six-cylinder engines under the 3-Series hood, but with the next generation they have promised a new turbocharged four-cylinder engine. That will give the next IS a lot to think about.

The next Infiniti G on the other hand is rumored to be offered with a 3.5-liter hybrid combination engine taken from the M35 that produces an output of around 360 HP, and that is also a plus over the Lexus model. However, in the end, it’s what the company is offering for the money that will sell cars.

When Can I Buy One?

The new generation Lexus IS will make its debut in 2013, with sales beginning in 2014. Prices will be in the $40k area and, as usual, the sedan will be followed by a coupe and a convertible model.

Some spy photos on the Web give credence to the suggestion that the next generation IS will share a common platform with the next generation Lexus GS, meaning that the 3IS will be wider than the 2IS. IMHO, it's unlikely that both the GS and the IS would share the same platform as the FT-86, as I can't see the Supras and Celicas of tomorrow being of the same width as the Lexus GS. Which means that any article on the Web offering a sneak peek of the 3IS, and claiming that it will share underpinnings with the FT-86 - and there are many such articles - may well be way off the mark in every respect.

I thought I heard something along the lines of the next IS sharing the GS platform, or possibly slightly shorter but identical otherwise. Vague memories of a salesperson from Chatswood mentioning it a while back.

IMHO, it's unlikely that both the GS and the IS would share the same platform as the FT-86, as I can't see the Supras and Celicas of tomorrow being of the same width as the Lexus GS.

Well LN your Humble opinion is pretty good, especially if the next GS is going to have FOUR WHEEL STEER!!! :o

Yep.

Any thoughts on 4WS?

Any thoughts on 4WS?

I once heard it was great to have as a party trick - watching the wheels turn one way momentarily before turning the way you intended them to go. B)

I think it's a great idea for the two reasons it's intended. The first is to increase steering response and stability. One of the big criticisms of Lexuses is that they just don't have the same steering feel as BMWs. Or should I say, that was one of the big criticisms. BMW has already replaced hydraulic steering with electric steering in its new 7 and 5 series, and everyone seems to hate it. Once EPS appears in the next 3 series, BMW's reputation for superior steering quality may totally disappear. If Lexus can improve EPS steering response with both 4WS and VGRS - together with finer tuning of the steering program, having several years of EPS experience under its belt - Lexus could become the unexpected leader in steering feel. Add improvements in suspension - perhaps adding the advancements in suspension already found in the newly released CT 200h - and the 3IS could become the new leader in driveability. (Well, I like the 2IS' driveability as it is, but all this new stuff in the 3IS might silence the critics.)

The second reason for 4WS is to decrease the turning circle at low speed. That isn't a big deal in itself: the current RWD IS has a small enough turning circle as it is, but it could make reverse parallel parking in tight spaces even easier. I'm guessing that it would be a great addition to a car that's fitted with Lexus' Intelligent Parking Assist System; and, if unprestigious marques like VW are now adding self-parking into its low-end models, surely IPA will feature in the next generation IS too?

I can't wait ...

4WS was in the "active" Soarer UZZ32. Amazing turning circle, and disorienting lane changes. Will be interesting to see a new development of it.

Well the new BMW 5 series has a 4WS system.

I was reading up on it on the BMW website & reviews after I heard something somewhere about the next gen GS having 4WS.

There are a few other interesting things ahead for us Lex-a holics. The New York motorshow will give an indication of a few of them.

4ws is not good for lowered cars though

other than that they are great :P

oh btw that 40K price tag is in the US

so expect around 70-80K here

and i still dont believe that is the 2014 IS pics