I've noticed recently that when I come to stop at lights my brakes squeal pretty loudly, is getting really annoying and pretty embarrassing too. Only really happens < 15km/h ish, plus also when in reverse. At my last service (June) i brought it up and was told that i apparently still had 80% left on the pads.. can anyone offer any help? I only have 30 000k's on the clock so it shouldn't be a rotor issue?

My rotors were gone at 17,000km. They are very soft on the IS. Generally a worn disc won't cause squealing, but a glazed one will. Check for shiny spots which are out of the ordinary.

Well once i had my pads replaced and it made that noise, so the mechanic changed them to 'premium' pads and noise stopped. mind you it was an is200

hmm doesn't sound right to me.. standard pads shouldn't squeal, especially on a Lexus. was than an independent mechanic?

im pretty sure there was a recall for the brake pads on IS250's because some had the squealing and the excessive brake dust

i remember when i first got mine, and i was looking it up on clublexus

i told them the next service and they changed to the new pads and it stopped squealing but still got tonnes to brake dust

i can wash the car, drive to the shops and the front rims are already covered in brake dust (i dont brake hard or ride the brakes)

I have noticed a fair bit of brake dust, but as this is my first car i didn't think it was that excessive. Plus i heard that the IS pads tended to cause a lot of dust so i didn't really think too much of it. When i had my service back in June, i brought up the issue of the squeal. They just gave me the car back and said i had 80% of the pads left and that was it.

I've noticed recently that when I come to stop at lights my brakes squeal pretty loudly, is getting really annoying and pretty embarrassing too. Only really happens < 15km/h ish, plus also when in reverse. At my last service (June) i brought it up and was told that i apparently still had 80% left on the pads.. can anyone offer any help? I only have 30 000k's on the clock so it shouldn't be a rotor issue?

Have the same problem with my 2010 is250 with only 23kms.

Usually occurs when brakes are cold in the morning then it stops as it heats up

Have the same problem with my 2010 is250 with only 23kms.

Usually occurs when brakes are cold in the morning then it stops as it heats up

Maybe, but i was noticing it yesterday after a 40 minute 15km drive at about midday, after id done the same drive in the opposite direction that morning. i don't think the brakes would have been cold when i noticed the squeal.

It was a known problem with 2006-2007 IS models, as can be seen in this information bulletin released in the US. Note that the problem occurs "when slowly coming to a stop":

http://www.lexustsb.com/getattachment.php?data=MTk3fEJSMDAxLTA3IEZyb250IEJyYWtlIFNxdWVhay5wZGY%3D

It's odd that you have the problem, though, seeing that you have a 2009 model. But there's a few things of note from the TSIB:

- Updated brake pads and "anti-squeal" brake pad shims exist. If you have had your brakes serviced at any time, perhaps outdated/inferior parts were used on re-assembly? Or maybe the shims are missing (if that's possible - I really have no idea)!

- Updated grease is available. Perhaps grease should be re-applied?

- A specific torque is mentioned for the upper mounting bolt of the caliper assembly. Perhaps checking the torque would help? (Or maybe it's mentioned to ensure safe re-assembly, not to fix any noise problem.)

- Lexus USA saw this problem as something that should be resolved under warranty - as a Lexus customer, you're not being too pedantic. I'd get your Lexus service dealership to try harder.

It was a known problem with 2006-2007 IS models, as can be seen in this information bulletin released in the US. Note that the problem occurs "when slowly coming to a stop":

http://www.lexustsb....xdWVhay5wZGY%3D

It's odd that you have the problem, though, seeing that you have a 2009 model. But there's a few things of note from the TSIB:

- Updated brake pads and "anti-squeal" brake pad shims exist. If you have had your brakes serviced at any time, perhaps outdated/inferior parts were used on re-assembly? Or maybe the shims are missing (if that's possible - I really have no idea)!

- Updated grease is available. Perhaps grease should be re-applied?

- A specific torque is mentioned for the upper mounting bolt of the caliper assembly. Perhaps checking the torque would help? (Or maybe it's mentioned to ensure safe re-assembly, not to fix any noise problem.)

- Lexus USA saw this problem as something that should be resolved under warranty - as a Lexus customer, you're not being too pedantic. I'd get your Lexus service dealership to try harder.

Thanks. I have an '08 build MY09 model (with the August '08 update). I got the car in April from a Lexus dealer after it had been traded in after 25000kms. So i'm not certain what has been done previous to my ownership. But the service book shows it had been serviced by Lexus in that first ownership so I doubt it would have had any inferior parts used. However seeing as it has been a known issue, it makes me even more concerned when I think that when i brought up the squeal with the guy who picked up my car for a 30k service back in June, all i got told on return was that it had 80% of the pads left. So i'm guessing either the service mechanics weren't aware? or just didn't bother checking any further? But it being Lexus i'm finding a half-assed job a bit hard to believe.. Would it be worth a call to the service centre for any advice they can give?

The squeal noise come from the factory pad / rotors by design. I started getting the noise ~15K mark also.

I put up with it until the time they needed to be change. I went aftermarket DBA rotors and ceramic pads and they're worn in over 15K later with no noise.

My car is still under factory warranty but I did it anyway as it constitutes as a wear and tear item.

The squeal noise come from the factory pad / rotors by design. I started getting the noise ~15K mark also.

I put up with it until the time they needed to be change. I went aftermarket DBA rotors and ceramic pads and they're worn in over 15K later with no noise.

My car is still under factory warranty but I did it anyway as it constitutes as a wear and tear item.

Was that a relatively expensive option? Mine's still under factory warranty too. Is there any way I could get a replacement under warranty? I'm a bit disappointed they failed to do anything about it at my last service, but perhaps the problem isn't one that can be seen with just a visual inspection. Like you and other members have told me, the standard Lexus pads/discs seemed to be the cause of the noise, even if it looks like they are in good condition (as i was told after my last service)

We had issues with factory pads in Territory's when I was at Ford, we tried everything from chamfering them to trying all sort of aftermarket brands that FNZ recommended. It wasn't until I stumbled upon the Bendix GCT Stealth range that we found a fix. Looks like they do them for the IS250 as well >> http://bendix.com.au/catalogue?manufacturer=lexus&model=IS250&variant=&oepart=∂= << Could be a cheap fix for your problem. Not that you should have to pay, it should be a warranty issue if you ask me.

I've got the same issue with my brakes. Squels when reversing and braking to a stop. MY2010 with 28kms on it. Due for a service soon so will let you guys know what they say.

Thanks mate, hope you get a better response than i did. Seeing as this has been such a common problem (even on MY10's) then I don't think I'm being absurd by suggesting it should come under a warranty issue? Anyway we'll see what they say. Which service centre do you use?

Was that a relatively expensive option? Mine's still under factory warranty too. Is there any way I could get a replacement under warranty? I'm a bit disappointed they failed to do anything about it at my last service, but perhaps the problem isn't one that can be seen with just a visual inspection. Like you and other members have told me, the standard Lexus pads/discs seemed to be the cause of the noise, even if it looks like they are in good condition (as i was told after my last service)

For me I did it myself. I'm a bit of a home mechanic. It was ~$400ish for all parts. I got quoted for $700+ from Lexus. I know the dealers got to make money but the upmark is unjustified IMO.

My setup is

* DBA front rotors

* Bendix GCT Ceramic

Most of the Sydney people who seen my car it's pretty bone stock but I reckon it's fit for my purpose.

If your after the same feel but a little better than stock (Not much) then the combination above suits it really well. Obviously if your a modest driver in peak hour traffic like me it works well. I have no complains 15K+ later. Plus 85% less dusty wheels!! My car has been to Lexus and they didn't say anything.

Chatswood

That seems to be the favourite. Unfortunately it's a little out of my reach (I'm in Southern Sydney)

For me I did it myself. I'm a bit of a home mechanic. It was ~$400ish for all parts. I got quoted for $700+ from Lexus. I know the dealers got to make money but the upmark is unjustified IMO.

My setup is

* DBA front rotors

* Bendix GCT Ceramic

Most of the Sydney people who seen my car it's pretty bone stock but I reckon it's fit for my purpose.

If your after the same feel but a little better than stock (Not much) then the combination above suits it really well. Obviously if your a modest driver in peak hour traffic like me it works well. I have no complains 15K+ later. Plus 85% less dusty wheels!! My car has been to Lexus and they didn't say anything.

I've always been a bit hesitant when it comes to replacing parts with non-genuine/aftermarket parts. I've only had my IS250 for a few months so perhaps that's why. But like I said, i'd much prefer to have the problem fixed with parts replaced by Lexus under warranty (as i believe it should be) than to replace them with other parts.

• 3 months later...

Just to follow up, spoke to a guy from a dealer who explained that commonly the rotors on an IS250 will develop a sharp edge towards the outside of the rotor, which then causes the squeal when gripped by the pads. I washed my car the next day and on close inspection saw that the rotors did indeed have a sharp edge. I rang up but was told that machining wasn't possible so i now have to replace my rotors, plus pads are near replacement so might replace the whole set in one go.. was quoted $600 for front pads and discs.

• 1 year later...

I purchased my 2012 IS350 from Chatswood in Dec last year, not even 12 months old yet. I have taken it into Chatswood about 3 -4 times for brake squealing now.. The first time i took it in, it was really bad and sounded worse then an old piece of *BLEEP* taxi with 200,00 km on it. They put modified pads on the front due to the known issue with them. This fixed the issue for a little while, but then i started getting a squeal under light load and mainly noticeable when going down hill, like down a drive way or exiting a shopping centre car park.

So i have taken it back in another 2-3 times, where they have simply inspected, cleaned and resurfaced the breaks which hasn't really done anything to resolve the issue. They have recorded the noise and sent to Lexus Australia for further instructions, that was 1-2 weeks ago now..

Its pretty embarrassing having this very high pitched sequel when breaking, I am driving a 2012 Lexus with only 21k on the clock, not an old Ford/taxi. Not happy about having this issue. I feel like i have made the wrong decision in buying a Lexus. If Lexus dont fix this once and for all soon, I am going get rid of this squeal machine, and go buy a BMW or something else.

I shouldn't have to go and buy 3rd party pads and rotors to fix something that is clearly a defect from the manufacture, and especially within 12 months of buying a car, especially not a Lexus who claim to be of quality!