hey guys, ive got an is250 sports lux w/ the premium mark levinson sound system and i dont know if my sub is totally screwed or if thats how its supposed to be.

On some songs it gives off good bass (or unless it from speakers on the doors) but some songs it sounds like the subby in the rear shelf is broken, or ripped and makes weird "non bass" sounds when bass hits. And this sounds is even louder when the volume is lower.

Just tonight i shined a torch in the speaker grille and got a little look of the sub and it appears to be in one piece so i dont think its physically ripped around the edges.

Anyone else have/had this problem? Know anything i can try to fix it? Is replacement my best option? or is this normal behaviour for the sub?

Thanks heaps

I've been wondering about the same thing.....

how annoying is it? but everyone brags on about how good the ML system is, so if its normal behaviour, which i doubt though, i dont think people know what a good sub sounds like :P haha but nah, besides this little issue, im loving the ML :)

It doesn't have to be doof doof bass - sometimes I just want to be able to hear SOME bass!

Perhaps at some point in the future, I'll upgrade the subwoofer. I still want it to look stock, so I believe the largest I'll be able to go with be a 10" sub... and of course I'll have to have a seperate monobloc to run it.

I had the same issue with my old 250. I read somewhere that it wasn't a defect in the sub, but the parcel shelf itself.

:( well guys, today my sub has officially turned to sh*t, and i literally have to listen to music with the bass nearly all the way down :( i tried to disconnect the subby from the amp but i dont think it can be done! then removed my back seats but couldnt remove the parcel shelf to do it through that -.- so i guess im stuck with bassless music for now! :angry:

EDIT:

Does anyone know how i can remove the parcel shelf? I have no idea how to do it! are there any DIY on here?

my sub just *BLEEP* its self as well, im going to get the same size speaker fitted

i had a quick look in the boot you will have to take the lining off under the subs to get to it

my sub just *BLEEP* its self as well, im going to get the same size speaker fitted

i had a quick look in the boot you will have to take the lining off under the subs to get to it

does your sub sound like its in pieces? or sounds very crap when bass hits? i dno if this will work for you, but today i was going through a cd and i had a pretty bassy song on it, and i thought "heh, wonder what this would sound like with this *BLEEP*ty sub" so i put it on and turned it up to about 45ish and it sort of fixed it! it still sounds a little bad, but NOWHERE near as what it did before, you can actually listen to a song without it sounding like its gonna blow up! and anytime it stuffs up again, i just turn it up a fair bit on any song and it sort of corrects itself =\

fixed, or not, i found a temporary fix to keep me sane, until i buy an aftermarket sub and amp to add :P if you try this, hope it works!

ok well i found this out - to try and fit a aftermarkey sub is a pain in the ass cause you need a new amp. the guy i took it to is going to silicon the sub to see if it fixs it. if not i'll be replaing it with the same speaker from toyota-

its about $650 fitted

mp3 which is commonly used these days is only part of the audio.

its like dial up compared to broad band. You only get the essential waves (sound in this case) to get the job done where as broadband is full bandwidth and has alot more content to make your audio sound best.

if its 650$ for the same stock sub. wouldnt it be better off to get a aftermarket amp and sub?

thats what i plan to do, im not gonna spend ~650$ for the same sub, which will probably stuff up again once i start with my music :P but speaking of the stock sub, mine has officially died today, doesnt even make a sound! lol just a question about the rear door bottom speakers (ML Audio) do they produce bass? or is it only the front door bottom speakers that produce bass? does anyone know?

Whoa!! You're going to replace your stock sub with a stock sub? For a little more, you can get a nice Morel Sub, and a monoblock amp to power it.

yeah im in 2 minds what to do - as i dont want to put holes in anywhere or have a sub box in the boot as its small enough as is - i dontknow about you guys but the stock sub sounds fine to me?

maybe im getting old damn it :(

The stok sub is dual core so replacing it with an aftermarket sub u sacrifice one channel of bass. The quality and size and design of the stock sub for the car i dont believe you will find a better set up for the car unless you start spending proper money and do it properly. 2 subs or another dual core. You can re amp the signal from the stock amp but what are you looking for. Sound or noise.

Pioneer and Alpine both do dual voice coil subs in the right diameter, but depth may be an issue. Pioneer do low profile subs which would probably be suitable. The factory uses Pioneer parts in the Prestige models anyway, so there's probably a decent chance one would work.

• 1 month later...