Noticed that my car smells like b.o. (body odour) / old socks recently. Did a bit of googling and it may be water leaking into the carpet, or the a/c line being clogged. Any ideas where to check these on a 2011 IS?

Cheers!

ps: yes i h ave checked all over the car in case there are old socks lying around :P

Often when the cabin filter is old/dirty it smells like you are describing. The cabin filter is located behind the glovebox - i would suggest removing it, inspecting/cleaning it and possibly fitting a new filter. They are designed to be replaced every few years.

If you constantly run the a/c on recirculate the evaporator will produce a stale water smell. Run it on fresh for a while which should help dry out the evaporator and get rid of the smell. Other than that ensure the drain hose is clear. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. To answer your questions:

. The smell only comes when the a/c is on, no smell when just running the fan/heater.

. Have felt around the footwell area for the carpet being damp, its all dry, so doesnt seem to be leaking directly into the cabin carpet

. Culprit is most likely the cabin filter, not sure when this was cleaned/changed last, at least a few years now. Thanks for the heads up about setting the heater controls beforehand as well!

. Ensure the drain hose is clear: where abouts do i find this?

Thank you!

As the others have said, most likely the cabin filter. Got mine replaced and it fixed the problem. Dealer charged me and a leg from memory =( Try to source the part number and part and do it yourself if you can. From a quick look previously, didn't look too hard to take out to clean/replace. 

got a carbon filter from repco for $40, installed in a flash, no more smell! thanks guys, appreciate all the assistance 🙂

also, this run off hose, where can i find it, just to make sure its not clogged

Small black tube underneath the car,above the front of the gearbox easier to find after a good run with the a/c on, you should see it dripping water cheers. 

• Like 1