Is250 - Outside Temperature Indicator

Just picked up this car last week. JUst the base Prestige auto with no sat nav or ML stereo. The outside temp reading seems high and I'm wondering whether it is linked to the climate control. Climate control seems to be much cooler than indicated.

It's a nice car - and was the end of a long search for a replacement to a Subaru 3.0R.

Hi Swamprat.

Haven't noticed any issue on my 250 with the outside temp gauge. It seems to indicate what I am expecting. I don't believe the cliamte control is linked the outside temp and should be measuring the temp against what you have set the controls at.

Try the dealer service dept for details. THe manual doesn't say much about the Auto mode just saying " The air conditioning system begins to operate. Air outlets and fan speed are automatically adjusted according to the temperature setting." Certain airflows are dependant on the outside temp. This info is in the extra manual for those cars with sat/nav systems.

• 2 years later...

Found my outside temp gauge to be extremely accurate (always within 1 degree (up to 2 on a really hot day) - comparing it with radio announcements). However on very hot days, it will exaggerrate for the first 15 minutes or so if the car has been sitting in the sun (eg. it may read 42c for 15 minutes, when it might be 34-35c outside). After a while though it drops to the correct temp.

Hey Swamprat - I too have moced from a 3.0R to an IS250 :) I got the enhancement package and I love it. My temp guage seems abit low if anything (The 3.0r temp indicator I think used to read too high).

Only criticism against the 3.0R is the lack of torque (but I have only done 200kms and haven't floored it yet).

• 1 month later...

I can give you an opinion because also came from a Lib 3.0R :)

Firstly, I like the styling of the is250 alot more. It is more "prestige" then the lib. The overall size of the is250 seems smaller then the lib (inside and outside) but it is bearable. With the lib, I could take 5 adult passengers around easily, it is a bit of a squeeze in the is250.

The interior of the lib is nice, but after you have sat in the is250 - you discover there is another class of luxury. There is a lack of storage space in the is250 compared to the lib though.

Performance wise, the liberty feels much quicker, but isn't as refined/smooth as the is250. I hate the tiptronic style of the is250 which doesnt give you full control and in this respect the liberty is much better. The boot of the Liberty is also a lot bigger and services are much cheaper (approx $200 compared to lexus' $500). Finally the is250 is MUCh more efficient then the lib. I was getting 13-14l in the lib where I will do 10-11l in the is250. Those few litres more of efficiency per 100km means I only have to fill up once a week!

Mike

• 2 years later...

i have bought(leased) my first Lexus, i am about to pay the price of such a decision,

this IS2(cold inside)50 does not deserve a position in the luxuary car market.

The "alledeged" "climate" control is mediocre, its not much better than that in my daugher's 1985 corolla.

Lexus Service advisors don't want to undertand the problem, then again , they don't get paid a lot to fix warranty issues, :angry: B) <_<

i have bought(leased) my first Lexus, i am about to pay the price of such a decision,

The "alledeged" "climate" control is mediocre, its not much better than that in my daugher's 1985 corolla.

Lexus Service advisors don't want to undertand the problem, then again , they don't get paid a lot to fix warranty issues, :angry: B) <_<

sorry to hear that you're not happy with your purchase and i'm sure it may just be the dealer/rep that you have dealt with that has made it a bad experience, so i'd suggest maybe trying another dealer!

another suggestion is if is too cold is to maybe turn up the temp a little.

oh, one more thing, that comment you made about lexus not deserving a place in the luxury car market and comparing it to a 1985 corolla makes you sound like an uneducated moron! i understand you're angry, much as anyone in your position would be, but please, theres no need to over exaggerate!

Impossible. Lexus' don't have issues. You obviously just don't know how to use it.

Just sell it and buy a BMW.....they're luxurious and 100% faultless.

*cough*

No offence but, are you on crack?

Can't take any of what you said seriously.

• 2 years later...

Had my is 350 a couple of months (new) the temp today is 39 outside temp guage shows 29

Drove 4k to the supermarket parked for 15 minutes drove home again, probably half an hour approx all up.

any opinions ?