Hi All,

I was at the Brisbane Motor show yesterday, and managed to get an extended "sit" in the SL model and have come to the reluctant conclusion that even with the driver's seat at its lowest, there just isn't sufficient headroom for me. I'm only about 6ft - not a giant, and I could feel my hair grazing the headlining. It only took me changing my posture to have my head up against the headlining

I could mess around with the recline etc, but just couldn't an angle that was comfortable with a bit of noggin-clearance. The moonroof apparenty steals about 50-60mm clearance, so a base Prestige would do the trick headroom-wise.

I was "long in the body" according to the saleman - a strange comment given that not a single other car that I sat in yesterday presented the same problem.

Anyway, I asked about the possibility of having a "special order" built - where, if necessary, I would pay for the "full" option-pack, but would forego the moonroof.

The sales guy looked at me as if I were retarded (sorry for being non-pc) and told me that it would be impossible. My comments regarding the option-pack being just an assemblage of options offered separately in the UK and USA just brought about a frown and a serious bout of headshaking and chin-stroking.

He told me outright that I should be looking at the GS300 as "it has much more headroom" - as if I would (or could) cough up another 40k for a couple of inches of headroom - just to get into a size-appropriate Lexus.

I could just order the standard Prestige, and probably be happy with it but I'd really like the sat-nav and ML audio. Has anyone else experienced the headroom issue and or been able to order a car with SatNav and ML but without the moonroof?

Lastly, Lexus wasn't doing itself any favours by having all the sales-guys dressed in black-suits/ties/white shirts and all of the cars locked. Their dress and attitude presented an image of aloofness and arrogance - especially when pretty much everyone else, excluding the exotics, where allowing everyone, kids and all, to climb all over their cars...

Hi

You have raised a few good points in here.

I am 6'2" and have the sports with the moon roof. I have my seat seat in a lower position, something I am not totally sure you can do on the Prestege.

I find I have a resonable space to the roof, and I always thought I had a "longer torso".

I thought they were offering the ML package separate from the moon roof option, but then when I bought mine, the ML package wasn't available on the prestege and only offered later.

As for the motor show, yep, friends went one night earlier in the week and said it looked a very boring stand. All silver. It is actually designed by Lexus Aust and not the local dealership/s. The local dealerships supply some salesmen and some are Lexus Aust.

Considering Indooroopilly have a Red IS250, it would have stood out like ".........." if it was the centre piece amongst all that grey/silver.

Also, the saleman on the night didn't come anywhere near my friends or other potential customers.

Not very good work Lexus!

We were at the brisbane motor show as well and were granted the opportunity to sit and listen to the ML audio in the LS460 for 30 minutes totally awsome. :P

Not to keen on having all silver cars there pretty boring. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I spent some more time with an IS250 and have confirmed what I feared - its just not a practical car for me...

Whilst I had decided that I could probably live with the headroom issue, the killer problem turned-out to be that of limited rear space.

I took my kids with me today, and got them into the back seat. When "I" was in the best position I could find, my 10yr old son was unable to get his size 8 feet facing straight forward in the back. Its impossible to get any of the foot under the front seat, the under-seat area being blocked-off by the electrical mechanisms (presumably).

Knee-room was fine, just not foot-room. I can only assume that all of the journo road-testers are midgets who never think to actually put normal-size people into the car before penning such lines as:- "rear seat room is adequate for 2x adults" Adult midgets maybe...

This is not to denigrate the IS250 - its a beautiful, desirable and highly capable car - just a little small (for me)

So, much as I like it, the IS250 is not for me....

I then had a test-drive of an RX350 SL and was greatly impressed by the dynamics, quality and overall package.

Facing reality - I'm a fortyish family guy with 2 growing kids - means that the RX350 is really a much better choice for me than the IS. I'm probably at about 80% in the mind-made-up stakes, and have already started the self-justification process for coughing-up the extra cash :) and wondering how to hide the extra outlay from my wife :)

Still, even if I get the RX, I'll still feel a twinge of desire each time an IS250 passes by..........

I agree totally with you the IS250 is not ment to be a family car its a sports sedan my sister with 2 girls in toe and i went looking for a luxury car for space and comfort BMW 3 series too tight to get out off AUDI A4 same thing and MERC. as well too low too the ground only wanted to spend $80,000 then went to LEXUS and looked at the RX350 and loved it high off the ground and very smooth and plenty off nick nacks,

She bought one and showed her business partner one and she ended up buying one as well.

2 lexuses in the family now.

I have 5 year old twins and it's fine for them, and should be ok until they are about 10 when we'll be ready to sell anyway.

They aren't as blessed with room as they were in our VX Commodore SS, and periodically remind me of that, but they aren't too bad.

But no, it aint a family car in reality.

Turbo4. Yep. There is a Red one on the floor. Conflicting reports about how it came to be there - ordered for lady and cancelled - dealer ordered in as special for looks, etc. It is a Prestege model, not sure if auto or manual or if ML system and can't remember if has a Moon roof or not. Dazilled by colour, I guess.

If up for sale? I think they want to keep it there for a little while, but if interested, give them a call. I image there could be a waiting list.

As for backroom space, yep, a little tight, and I have to move the drivers seat a way forward to put someone behind me. No kids, so, no issue with me and only take people in the back on rare occassion. If you only have small/young kids, then shouldn't be an issue.

Yep. The RX is a great car/4WD. And it crusies really well and comfortable ride, with power and refinement. It would be my second choice, but if you want the same features as I have in the IS, then probably another $20k. And then fuel is a lot more.

Also, boddy roll doesn't let you "play" like you can with the IS.

I was @ BNe motor show too. I was greeted by a very nice saleperson (Chris James) from Indooroo dealership.

had a a bit of chat with him abuot various models of Lexus. had a seat in LS460 too.

according to Chirs. the red IS250 = special edition. only 3 in QLD. the one in Indooroo showroom= base on prestege model with option pack . and it's an AUTO.

I personally think red IS look very sexy. whenever I drove pass the dealership,, I keep looking at that car..

Rx= more suitable for family for sure.

IS = good for couples or personal use. much fun to drive than RX , just my 2 cents

I was talking to Tony (Lexus Valley). According to him, a customer wanted Red (unseen).. When it rocked up to the dealership they all loved it and order 1 for each showroom. I was looking at getting a red one, they are a special order and take 3 months to deliver..

• 1 year later...
Hi All,

I was at the Brisbane Motor show yesterday, and managed to get an extended "sit" in the SL model and have come to the reluctant conclusion that even with the driver's seat at its lowest, there just isn't sufficient headroom for me. I'm only about 6ft - not a giant, and I could feel my hair grazing the headlining. It only took me changing my posture to have my head up against the headlining

I could mess around with the recline etc, but just couldn't an angle that was comfortable with a bit of noggin-clearance. The moonroof apparenty steals about 50-60mm clearance, so a base Prestige would do the trick headroom-wise.

I was "long in the body" according to the saleman - a strange comment given that not a single other car that I sat in yesterday presented the same problem.

Anyway, I asked about the possibility of having a "special order" built - where, if necessary, I would pay for the "full" option-pack, but would forego the moonroof.

The sales guy looked at me as if I were retarded (sorry for being non-pc) and told me that it would be impossible. My comments regarding the option-pack being just an assemblage of options offered separately in the UK and USA just brought about a frown and a serious bout of headshaking and chin-stroking.

He told me outright that I should be looking at the GS300 as "it has much more headroom" - as if I would (or could) cough up another 40k for a couple of inches of headroom - just to get into a size-appropriate Lexus.

I could just order the standard Prestige, and probably be happy with it but I'd really like the sat-nav and ML audio. Has anyone else experienced the headroom issue and or been able to order a car with SatNav and ML but without the moonroof?

I have ordered a SL without the moonroof (6'4") and it can be done. I test drove one with a moonroof and my head hit the roof, but I sat in lower spec IS250 without a moonroof and I was able to sit comfortably. The SL was the one to go for me as it has all the toys.

The only problem is that I have had to have it specially made, so I have to wait 2 months.

You can get a Sports Lux without moonroof....

Definitely Yes and not only that it is cheaper as you don't have to pay for the moonroof. Only downside is that there none in black with black leather interior in Australia, so one is being made in Japan for me.

You can actually buy the SL version and yet do away with the moonroof... however, be prepared to wait for quite awhile AND resale of your IS 250 will be adversely affected.

You can actually buy the SL version and yet do away with the moonroof... however, be prepared to wait for quite awhile AND resale of your IS 250 will be adversely affected.

Firstly the wait is only a couple of months, and I would rather wait for what I truly wanted rather than compromise just so I could get close to what I wanted sooner. This is not a cheap car so I want what I want, I am not your typical Lexus buyer (if one really exists), but I think the IS250 is a very good car and represents good bang for your buck. If I am wrong then I can assure you that in 4 years when that time arrives I won't buy another Lexus unless the replacement is a good proposition.

I agree that resale could suffer however at my height the car would be traded a lot sooner if it had a moonroof as you would only hit your head so many times before you decided that you and the car should part company.

I did actually discuss this with the salesman and whilst most buyers would penalise you for not having a moonroof, some people don't actually like them (like me) and may in fact pay more for one that does not have one. I actually would have paid more not to have a moonroof, but instead received a reduced price for not having one. Now for the most important question (and if you can honestly answer this one I would also like this weeks tatslotto numbers) in 4 years when I plan to upgrade again and trade or sell my IS250 how much less will I receive for my car versus an identical one with a moonroof.

(and if you can honestly answer this one I would also like this weeks tatslotto numbers)

If you had only asked last week...

I've still got them written down if you need them :lol: :lol: :lol:

(and if you can honestly answer this one I would also like this weeks tattslotto numbers)

If you had only asked last week...

I've still got them written down if you need them :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never thought of using last week's numbers this week, gee I wonder what the odds of that coming off 50 / 50, I think I'll save the dollars and not buy a ticket this week.