Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if someone can please kindly provide me with information and advice when purchasing a new IS250 Prestige.

It's been such a long time since I have had my eyes on the IS250 and a really big fan of the car and towards the end of the year, both my wife and I are thinking of finally having one. I've researched as much as I can with specs, reviews, pros and cons (like rattle problems) and what I would like to know is if it is at all possible to order the Prestige model with HIDs (along with Adaptive Front Lighting System and Head Light Washers) from the Lexus dealer?

I really would like to equip the Prestige with the HIDs and would like to know if this is at all possible and be prepared when going to the showroom.

i've seen the Prestige with a few non-prestige accessories so i would say you could.

why did u just wanted the HIDs? I'd go the Sports level, that way you don't have to worry about being overcharged.

Anyway, if you get the 08 model, you neednt worry about no rattles as they would have addressed these i'm sure.

Hi ldc,

Thanks very much for your reply. Well I've been on my friends Honda Accord Euro (a few years ago) which had factory HIDs and during the evening, you can see so much more which really impressed me and in my opinion, there is a big difference.

As for the Sports level, the price would shoot up well above the 75k mark when adding the enhancement pack (which we are planning to add onto the Prestige) and she really would like to have the leather seats too. It'll be our first time buying a Lexus and we don't want to go overboard (with other financial commitments and all) but just have a few extra things we want added onto Prestige :)

What about an aftermarket HID kit, it's around $350 i heard?

Best to get the info you want off the horses mouth....and yeh HIDs are cool.

Well, I made an enquiry and straight from the horses mouth – they do not do this for the Prestige model. It’s a shame though… I also mentioned that the 3 series and C class have these as add on options, but the sales guy said that Lexus has option packages for the Prestige but not for the HID.

Oh well… regardless of the HIDs not being a factory option (even on a special order request), we still are looking forward to the IS.

Yeh i saw what they offer on the Lexus site. One of the features i love in the Euro was it's HIDs, and to some extent their leather.

Likei said there is always the aftermarket HID kit which isnt that hard to bolt on.

For me i rather get 19s and lower the car abit....

Yeah I even mentioned that the Euro had HIDs and the Sales rep then replied by saying it’s a different class of car. I agree with him, but even with the different classes, at least for a car that will be over 55K when on the road, at least it should have this as an option, in my opinion.

I read on past post in this forums that if you were to install your own HIDs, that it will void warrantee due to the ballasts that needs changing? Lexus has also confirmed this.

Actually I also checked out how much for the 18” ‘Blade’ alloy wheels (same wheels that the Limited Edition IS250X) and it’s going for $610 each without tires. I like the look of those alloys.

I was thinking about getting HIDs on my car. Surely you must be able to buy them from Lexus after the sale if not at point of sale. What happens when one of the Sports models' HIDs stops working? Don't they have all the spare parts necessary to fix them? From what I understand you'll just need to purchase the globes and ballast (I think thats what they call it) and ask Lexus to fit them as if they were replacing them under warrantee (only you'll have to pay for this service)

As for the wheels, do the deal when buying the car if you like the Lexus rims. You'll get a better price trading in you brand new stock wheels and tyres, and hopefully you'll be able to negotiate an even better price at that time seeing there's the sale of an entire car involved for the sales guy. Worked for me! :)

You do have a very valid point regarding the HIDs on the sports models. I guess when the time comes, we'll see what the sales rep will be willing to do (also depends on the price tag).

Btw, I was just going through the lexus.com.au site and they are having the Limited Edition IS250X release again this April. This time there will be 450 and with this Artic Blue colour instead of the Silver from last year. Really whish they have included the Graphite colour this time around.

I was thinking about getting HIDs on my car. Surely you must be able to buy them from Lexus after the sale if not at point of sale. What happens when one of the Sports models' HIDs stops working? Don't they have all the spare parts necessary to fix them? From what I understand you'll just need to purchase the globes and ballast (I think thats what they call it) and ask Lexus to fit them as if they were replacing them under warrantee (only you'll have to pay for this service)

As for the wheels, do the deal when buying the car if you like the Lexus rims. You'll get a better price trading in you brand new stock wheels and tyres, and hopefully you'll be able to negotiate an even better price at that time seeing there's the sale of an entire car involved for the sales guy. Worked for me! :)

I think the HID's are a factory install only as the washers must also be installed in your cars bumper so you will have to pay more than just the globes and the ballasts. Also the HID lights on the IS250 are auto adaptive so I have a feeling they might not be cheap at all. My suggestion would be to get the next model up if you can.

In regards to the wheels, having gone through the experience of changing wheels, try and do the deal when you first buy the car otherwise you will get peanuts if you try and trade them in later. I had the 17in wheels from the sports luxury and I was offered $400 all up when trading them in for 18in wheels.

you only was offered $400 for the trande in? omg! and considering you purchased the top of the line IS250, I would have thought that at the very least double that amount...

There isnt much difference between 17s and 18s, i'd just save the money and get 19s.

Anyone know how much the Aurion TRD 19s go for :)

You might try SEWELL LEXUS of USA

Very good prices you can look at any part of IS250 and import the part i have done many times before and exellent to deal with.

Here is one section on wheels.

LEXUS IS250 WHEELS

Just click on the part for pricing.

You can buy the original ISF wheels for US$7655. plus frieght

A lot cheaper than buying in australia even with the frieght.

There isnt much difference between 17s and 18s, i'd just save the money and get 19s.

Anyone know how much the Aurion TRD 19s go for :)

Yeah but which 19's? there really isn't a lot out there with the staggered fitting rear vs front wheels that the IS250 comes with. I suppose if you go to somewhere like Tempe Tyres or the like you might pick up a set but I have seen way too many IS250's lately with ugly wheels.

The only other wheels I liked apart from the ones U purchased were BBS wheels but they only came in 18's and where over $1K more and not that much nicer to warrant spending over $5K on wheels.

Staggered wheels means you cannot rotate and to me that's a negative. Look good as they may be but yeh expense to own.

The only downside to 19s is that you might not get the width you want, cos the front will rub.

• 1 month later...

Be careful with any after-market stuff - particularly anything electrical. As an IS250 owner I know Lexus are a different breed of dealerships, but they still may 'compromise' your warranty, should anything go wrong. If and when the HID globes blow, they are hideously expensive, and as another post has said here, the HIDs on the S.Lux are Adaptive - so again not cheap, and probably need to be wired into the steering set-up. In all honesty, unless you can haggle with the dealer to get them to put them in when you place an order for next to nothing, I wouldn't bother.

I've driven a Passat with HIDs - good, yep, but the standard lights on the 250 are pretty damn good and as far as visibility is concerned not a lot of difference. Only a consideration really if you do a heap of country driving would be my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Be careful with any after-market stuff - particularly anything electrical. As an IS250 owner I know Lexus are a different breed of dealerships, but they still may 'compromise' your warranty, should anything go wrong. If and when the HID globes blow, they are hideously expensive, and as another post has said here, the HIDs on the S.Lux are Adaptive - so again not cheap, and probably need to be wired into the steering set-up. In all honesty, unless you can haggle with the dealer to get them to put them in when you place an order for next to nothing, I wouldn't bother.

I've driven a Passat with HIDs - good, yep, but the standard lights on the 250 are pretty damn good and as far as visibility is concerned not a lot of difference. Only a consideration really if you do a heap of country driving would be my opinion.

You can get the HID kit from Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MTEC-EXCLUS...sspagenameZWD2V I bought one pair and installed them on my 1 month old IS250, easy and NO COMPUTER ERROR at all (I also bought the same kit for my ML 2 years ago, still OK) . I called Lexus to make sure if its Void the warranty prior to install them, They said if No cuttting wire involved, No computer ERROR, thats fine :) BUT DONT GET more than 6000K its ilegal I think :)

for anyone interested i can install a hid kit into an is250 for $300.00 kit included. i've got an is250 myself which i've installed the kit on so you're welcome to have a look at that to get an idea of what it's going to look like. msg me if interested, i'm in sydney.

for anyone interested i can install a hid kit into an is250 for $300.00 kit included. i've got an is250 myself which i've installed the kit on so you're welcome to have a look at that to get an idea of what it's going to look like. msg me if interested, i'm in sydney.

post-2489-1211717441_thumb.jpg

post-2489-1211717457_thumb.jpg

post-2489-1211717465_thumb.jpg

post-2489-1211717475_thumb.jpg

post-2489-1211717483_thumb.jpg

post-2489-1211717492_thumb.jpg

Hmm they look pretty good.

Did you have to bake your headlights?

If so, how hot and how long?

I don't think I could do it :P

At that kind of temperature, what kind of light throw do you get?

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm they look pretty good.

Did you have to bake your headlights?

If so, how hot and how long?

I don't think I could do it :P

At that kind of temperature, what kind of light throw do you get?

Installing a HID kit in the Prestige does NOT require a lot of work.

It does not require to remove or modify the headlight assembly in anyway.

Most auto electricians can do the job in less than 30mins.