Being a Lexus some say tinting your car makes it looks cheap.

Anyone has an opinion on this?

unless it's an ugly green tint, extremely dark, not done properly or something out of the ordinary, than i can't see how it would look cheap! i've got the darkest legal tints on mine organised by lexus prior to collecting the car and it looks great. Plus it keeps nosy people from staring.

i've got the darkest legal tints on mine organised by lexus prior to collecting the car and it looks great. Plus it keeps nosy people from staring.

Any chance of some pics Cevu? I've been thinking about tinting mine too. My wife's RX350 has that really dark tint on the rear windows and I'm thinking it might look good on my car, but I'm not sure about the dark tint with my car being black...

What about the built-in-glass antena, will metallic tint affect that?

i've got dark tints on a black car so will take some pix and post when the missus comes home with the car.

i don't have any problems with reception for radio/gps/mobile so i'd have to say from experience it shouldn't be a problem!

Tint it, you'll love it :P

Mine is metallic and has caused no issues with radio

post-1882-1222419639_thumb.jpg

Very nice Bluey. Was that the darkest they could do? I really fancy the idea of them being super, super dark - sort of Batmobile-ish...

Tint it, you'll love it :P

Mine is metallic and has caused no issues with radio

post-1882-1222419639_thumb.jpg

Very nice Bluey. Was that the darkest they could do? I really fancy the idea of them being super, super dark - sort of Batmobile-ish...

Darkest legal. There is definately darker available, much darker.

i used to have really dark tints on my old car and i found night driving to be quite unpleasant. Had one bad experience once when i drove out of my garage and scratched my side mirrors all because i couldn't see the edge of the garage wall due the extreme dark tint! So when i bought my IS 250, i told my salesman that the main reason why i wanted tints on windows is to keep the temperature cool inside and that i'm not too concerned abt privacy. Well, he arranged this really classy metallic silverish tint and it really looks great on my sapphire paintwork!! Not super dark... but does an execellent job at keeping the interior cool.

Will post pics when i find the time...

i used to have really dark tints on my old car and i found night driving to be quite unpleasant. Had one bad experience once when i drove out of my garage and scratched my side mirrors all because i couldn't see the edge of the garage wall due the extreme dark tint! So when i bought my IS 250, i told my salesman that the main reason why i wanted tints on windows is to keep the temperature cool inside and that i'm not too concerned abt privacy. Well, he arranged this really classy metallic silverish tint and it really looks great on my sapphire paintwork!! Not super dark... but does an execellent job at keeping the interior cool.

i've always had the darkest legal tint on all my cars and have found it to be dark enough to keep prying eyes out whilst not hindering visibility!

i've always had the darkest legal tint on all my cars and have found it to be dark enough to keep prying eyes out whilst not hindering visibility!

that classy metallic tint sounds good, can't wait to see pics!

Hi Cevu, i tried to take some photos of my car but the tints are just not coming out right. In the photos, it looks like any typical black tint but when i look at the car in person, it has that metallic look. Very bizarre indeed! i also realised that under sunlight, the windows are black but when it's parked under the shade, the metallic colour kicks in!

Anyway, i attached one photo which i thought was quite interesting with the lighting and it shows a lil bit of colour progression of my sapphire coloured car. You can see a lil tinge of dark blue at the back and black towards the front. And yeah, a lil metallic tint effect on the windows.

post-2318-1222504716_thumb.jpg

Hi Ghast,

Do you know who did the tints?? You should of got a warranty card with the "Tinters" number and name!! I guess if you think they did a good job, ie.cut right, no bubbles etc, its worth passing on the contact to all the members!! Cheers!!

Hi Cevu, i tried to take some photos of my car but the tints are just not coming out right. In the photos, it looks like any typical black tint but when i look at the car in person, it has that metallic look. Very bizarre indeed! i also realised that under sunlight, the windows are black but when it's parked under the shade, the metallic colour kicks in!

Anyway, i attached one photo which i thought was quite interesting with the lighting and it shows a lil bit of colour progression of my sapphire coloured car. You can see a lil tinge of dark blue at the back and black towards the front. And yeah, a lil metallic tint effect on the windows.

think we'll have to wait for a meet to see in person. pictures aren't doing your tints justice!

I got the car tinted at Melbourne Lexus, bit expensive, just under $500 from memory. It looks great though! I got some funny marks on the top of the tint where it rubs when you close the window, lexus said they were happy to re-tint to fix the marks which is good! Ill take some photos when i wash the car.

I got my IS tinted to darkest legal metallic tint by Tint-A-Car (http://www.tintacar.com.au)

No issues with radio, keyless entry etc.

I don't think it looks cheap either rather enhance the look of the car. (I've got Silver Mica IS250)

Which tint did you go with? or is only the Formula 1 metallic??

I can understand why tinting your car dark could make it look cheap. When you tint cars like Bentleys, Rolls, Maseratis etc, it does takes away the apeal of the natual look which the car was made to look. with luxury interios it makes sense to show it off.

That said, for our cars it's a 50:50 thing i think. Depends on colours, other mods, tinting can add to the looks, but then again it might not.

Do you have pics Jomster?

Yup see below...

I got my IS tinted to darkest legal metallic tint by Tint-A-Car (http://www.tintacar.com.au)

No issues with radio, keyless entry etc.

I don't think it looks cheap either rather enhance the look of the car. (I've got Silver Mica IS250)

Which tint did you go with? or is only the Formula 1 metallic??

I got the Midnight express which last a lifetime warranty (Metallic based). I can't remember if it was the Formula 1 or another but it only had 10 year warranty as it was ceramic based tint (Doesn't affect your navigation systems, or lose any AM reception etc)

Pics are attached and I don't think it looks cheap either...each to their own I guess.

post-2311-1222865441_thumb.jpg

I don't know if it's just the angle of the shot or not, Jomster, but that tint looks bloody good.

Thanks mate, I also had in mind that black interior will also give the illusion making the tint look 'darker'.

Mine is black leather so it probably contributed to it also.

I'm with Jomster.

Same colour silver/black interior combination, and apart from enhanced privacy/cooler interior/leather protection, the tint finishes off the 'look' of the car in my opinion.

BTW, tint-a-car F1 tint (metalic, I think). The boys at tint-a-car did an awesome job at half the price Lexus wanted!