Hey fellers

I am new to this forum and just want to say there is so much info here, i went through two cups of coffie just browsing the various notes etc. I have ordered a Lexus IS250 Prestige Auto which should be here in about a week. In regards to some of the mods available on this site, which ones do you think i will definitly need. I have never owned a Lexus before and hav'nt even taken it for a test drive. ( I figure its a brand new car so whats the need to drive it, its a Lexus !!!) What issues have new car buyers had, if any ? and what are some expected issues in the future i can maybe expect ? And finally what engine mods can i safely do without voifing warrenty ? Cheers guys any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and i am stoked to be a Lexus owner (soon).

Cheers guys

Mark.

anyhow..

welcome to the site mate...

good choice on the is250

just browse around

and u can see alot of our members have some sort of mods on their cars

as for the warranty...

F sports will most likely keep your warranty (not 100% sure)..

anyhow..

welcome to the site mate...

good choice on the is250

just browse around

and u can see alot of our members have some sort of mods on their cars

as for the warranty...

F sports will most likely keep your warranty (not 100% sure)..

thats would be the assumption but i checked with Lexus Chatswood a while back and it is not covered by warranty. At least not until the parts are supplied through Australian channels. if you do f sport parts from the states and then at some later date australian lexus dealers supply them then they will be under warranty. This is what Lexus Chastwood told me so don't shoot the messenger!

Hi Fazz,

Welcome mate!!!

Look, imo, so much to choose from.....I would start with the basics!

You need to get the prestige rolling on anything other then the 16's!! Your handling will improve immediately with just eliminating the excessive tyre roll. Springs would surely have to come next!!

After that, you are pretty much on a level playing field with the other models!

What are your priorities?? Are you more concerned with appearance or performance or both???

Again, great choice in buying the lexus!!! ;)

Hey Fazza,

welcome! The IS250 is a fairly reliable car however the problems I have experienced include:

1) Creaking/rattling from sunroof. This was fixed by the dealer and hasn't happened again. I don't know if this is still a problem with an 08 model (and I don't know if you ordered your car with a sunroof).

2) Engine cranking sound continuing on ignition - problem with cams. Fixed under warranty.

Both are known problems and whilst it is never ideal to have to service your car more than the regular scheduled services, I can't complain about the dealer experience. They will come to your place of work or home and pick up your car, dropping off a loaner, then bring it back when they are done.

Enjoy the car - I love it!

1) Creaking/rattling from sunroof. This was fixed by the dealer and hasn't happened again. I don't know if this is still a problem with an 08 model (and I don't know if you ordered your car with a sunroof).

2) Engine cranking sound continuing on ignition - problem with cams. Fixed under warranty.

Souldn't be a problem on the 08 model though. I've got an 08 build and haven't experienced either.

The 16" wheels give a very comfy ride, but they've got to go!

Agree with the above. A few of the 'niggles' come from the late 05's and 2006 builds. From early '07 onwards, Lexus had rectified the niggles with some engineering modifications. So with your late '08 model you wont have any issues. It's arguably (well even statistically according to JD Powers) the most reliable sedan on the road today.

Without being a wowser, really think twice regarding non-factory modifications with respect to your warranty and insurance - check with your dealer beforehand. The Lexus warranty is to be cherished in this industry (given the stories you hear from Hyundai and Ford through to BMW and Mercedes) - it would be tragic to void it.

If you dont have any park-assist (sensors or camera), I STRONGLY advise you to get reverse sensors fitted as minimum. Your Lexus dealer can install the factory-issue ones in a couple of hours for about $500.

Hi everyone! I am also a (hopefully) soon-to-be IS250 owner! I've left a deposit but just need to negotiate to get them to fix up a few things (it's pre-owned) before finalising the deal. I too very much appreciate the information and enthusiasm we have here on this forum. Also thanks to ProjectIS for some tips and advise on purchasing.

In regards to upgrading the Prestige model by replacing alloy wheels and suspension, any idea what this kind of upgrade might cost?

I also realise that Lexus no longer sells the Sports model. Is this a recent change in response to the economy?

Hi everyone! I am also a (hopefully) soon-to-be IS250 owner! I've left a deposit but just need to negotiate to get them to fix up a few things (it's pre-owned) before finalising the deal. I too very much appreciate the information and enthusiasm we have here on this forum. Also thanks to ProjectIS for some tips and advise on purchasing.

In regards to upgrading the Prestige model by replacing alloy wheels and suspension, any idea what this kind of upgrade might cost?

I also realise that Lexus no longer sells the Sports model. Is this a recent change in response to the economy?

You can keep an eye out on ebay and as there is regularly factory 17's and 18's on sale from owners who have purchased aftermarket wheels. Otherwise you can pick up an aftermarket set of 18s for as little as 1100 with cheap tyres or about 2200 with performance tyres.

Suspension would be fsport bilstein shocks and fsport springs. can be purchased from carson toyota for about 1200 shipped to australia. that would be your best bet to retain factory warranty and refinement.