Auto-turning-in Exterior Mirrors

I seem to recall reading that the exterior mirrors on the 08 IS250 will automatically turn in when you park. I've just picked up my new IS250 sports luxury & they don't do it automatically - I have to hit the switch in the door to do it. Does anyone know if (a) they can be set to do this? (B) how do you do it?

Appreciate any help. Thx.

I have a Sports model and the mirrors are only folded when pressing the button manually. What's a little bit annoying is that it does not work when your engine is off.

On the other hand, I had the impression that the side mirrors would tilt downwards when reverse parking but found out that they don't after pickup.

Not sure if the Sports has that feature...the Sports Luxury does. There's a rocker switch in the driver's door next to the fold-in switch for the mirrors - have a look at the attached pages from the manual for how it works.

post-2932-1229464055_thumb.jpg

you have to use the button to manually fold the mirrors in.

With regards to the tilting when reversing, have the button for controlling either mirror pressed to either the left or right side for it to work. If you toggle the switch to the centre...it is disabled (at least that is on the sports luxury)

I dont know why they dont have a setting to autotilt them when you put it in park, like automatically unlocking all the doors.

to set them to lock automatically when in drive, and unlock automatically in park the dealer had to do it with their IT machine.

Took 30seconds when i asked...coz i got sick of front passenger being locked in when they want to jump out quick, and need to manually unlock.

Again...so used to the merc that when the doors are locked...if you attempt to open the door from the inside...it always overrides the lock on that door...unless you have the child lock set.

Hey, I did get it to work many thanks guys.

OzBoy, have you tried putting the mirror to either L or R (as opposed to right in the middle)?

It's great feature except I still get a little bit disoriented by it.

Yes, timolol is a non-selective beta blocker.... :)

• 2 months later...
As far as Im aware, the auto FOLD in, is a new feature added to the 2009 Sports Lux only. All 05-08 models (P, X, S, SL) have to fold in using the button discussed above. The auto TILT function when in Reverse is only available on S and SL models.

True - I have an 08 SL & asked the dealer if it was just a computer setting to get my mirrors to auto-fold in & he said "no". The computer to do the auto-fold-in in the 09 model is actually in the mirrors themselves, so I'd need to get brand new mirrors - you can imagine how expensive that'd be!!! :lol:

This really sux,I bought the IS250 luxury model on 07 and look at the facts below:

1. ISX/ISF

2. No Auto lock door on 07 model

2. No auto fold mirrors

This is BS!

While I agree with you the really BS part is the Sat Nav/Media Player not working while you are driving.......now that suxs!!!

This really sux,I bought the IS250 luxury model on 07 and look at the facts below:

1. ISX/ISF

2. No auto fold mirrors

This is BS!

While I agree with you the really BS part is the Sat Nav/Media Player not working while you are driving.......now that suxs!!!

C'mon guys, lets be fair

Whilst I like to have the latest and greatest, if the manufacturers didn't continually improve their cars I would have nothing to look forward too when it came time to update. I'll live without the auto mirrors and doors until then. I've spent the last 20 years driving cars with less features than what I have now, and look forward to the continued improvements.

The satnav/media thing is just for safety. As the recent advertising has been spruiking, good drivers just drive. Surely watching a DVD means you are not concentrating on the job at hand, same with playing with the satnav.

I know I sound like a killjoy, but I've had too many near misses with people distracted by mobile phones and sat navs to see any benefit in further distractions.

Enjoy your ride, I sure do. :P

The satnav/media thing is just for safety. As the recent advertising has been spruiking, good drivers just drive. Surely watching a DVD means you are not concentrating on the job at hand, same with playing with the satnav.

Don't want to watch a DVD but my passenger wouldn't mind being able to change a song or even put in a new address while the car is actually driving....yes drivers drive and passengers can play well as long as they are not in a lexus!!!!

1. ISX/ISF

2. No auto fold mirrors

This is BS!

C'mon guys, lets be fair

Whilst I like to have the latest and greatest, if the manufacturers didn't continually improve their cars I would have nothing to look forward too when it came time to update. I'll live without the auto mirrors and doors until then. I've spent the last 20 years driving cars with less features than what I have now, and look forward to the continued improvements.

I know I sound like a killjoy, but I've had too many near misses with people distracted by mobile phones and sat navs to see any benefit in further distractions.

Enjoy your ride, I sure do. :P

Damn you ProjectIS ... you do have a point lol. Good thing I hack the DVD playing while driving to keep me outta boredom lol.