Model Differentiation...what To Buy.

Hi All,

Iv currently got an is200, its been great, had if for a few years. Now looking to give that to my wife and purchase a used is250.

Iv been on redbook and looking through carsales to get an idea of what is out there.

can you tell me the main differances between the

Sports Luxury

Sports with enhancment pack

Prestige with enhancment pack.

I guess what would i miss out on if i got the prestige with the enhancment pack as opposed to the enhanced sports or the full blown sports lucury.

Do they also ride the same? Or is the sports the hardest ride?

I notice the wheels are differing sizes, the X sounds like a good option but there are no used ones iv seen as yet.

Im probably 5 or 6 months away from getting it, so am in the real early stages of working out what to go for.

Any other tips you could give me would begreat.

Ta.

Firstly it would depend on what you were prepared to spend and what year model you wanted.

I have the X and chose it on the value it represents with the 18's and ML Sat Nav system; but miss the heated/cooling seats.

Sports luxury has it all (don't like the woodgrain though), Sports lacks the leather, and prestige is basic but you can mod to what you want. If you must have the enhancement pack, I would suggest keeping a close eye on the web classifieds and wait for the right model w/ specs you're after to come available.

I know its not much info but i hope it helps you get started. Go to the Lexus dealers and get them to go through each model specs with you.

Solirossi - This is ONLY MY OPINION and should be taken solely as that - and apologies for any one I might offend.

I think the Prestige with Enhancement pack is the best value package (I have an '06 Prestige with no Enhncmnt Pk). I have driven all three variants a few times (loan cars when mine has been in for a service). The Sports Luxury is of course great with all the bells n whistles and the 17' wheels are nice. The wood grain is ok in the 05-08 model, but the wood-grain in the 09 update is wrong! (how they can get real wood to imitate plastic is amazing!!). The Sports isn't as hard a ride as made out to be, but I'm not a fan of the Alcantra 'fine velour' in the Sports. Incidentally due to poor sales of the Sports variant, it has now been dropped. There isn't a lot of difference in features between the Prestige and Sports, and the extra 11k RRP on the Sports wasn't justified IMO.

The little extra touches in the S.L that you miss out on in the Prestige (apart from the Enhancement Pack), are mainly subtle nice to haves and are only used occasionally in your day to day driving.

The 'X' is a very good buy too, but not a huge fan of the leather and you'll miss the heating and cooling functions on the seat. As a 'best buy' I would be recommending a demo 2008 Prestige with the enhancement pack with say 4-5k on the clock, which by mid year, you may be able to get for 55-60k driveaway, as opposed to high 60s new off the showroom floor (due to LCT, and the usual charges).

If you have a specific colour and price range - it wouldn't hurt to pay a visit to a Lexus dealer or two now to register your interest. Its a different story today, but 2 years ago when I purchased mine, there were simply no Prestige demos anywhere in Melbourne. I 'registered' my interest with two dealers re. preferred colours and price range, and a few months later they were able to track one down for me and offer it to me before it was advertised. Maybe wouldn't hurt to do this - and to make yourself known to a dealer. Good luck.

Hi All,

Iv currently got an is200, its been great, had if for a few years. Now looking to give that to my wife and purchase a used is250.

Iv been on redbook and looking through carsales to get an idea of what is out there.

can you tell me the main differances between the

Sports Luxury

Sports with enhancment pack

Prestige with enhancment pack.

I guess what would i miss out on if i got the prestige with the enhancment pack as opposed to the enhanced sports or the full blown sports lucury.

Do they also ride the same? Or is the sports the hardest ride?

I notice the wheels are differing sizes, the X sounds like a good option but there are no used ones iv seen as yet.

Im probably 5 or 6 months away from getting it, so am in the real early stages of working out what to go for.

Any other tips you could give me would begreat.

Ta.

Hi Sol,

My understanding is that the Sports has been discontinued. Differences between Prestige and Sports Luxury are:

Sports Luxury

17" wheels (Prestige has 16")

Bi-Xenon headlights

Side Mirrors that automatically dip when reversing

Rain sensing wipers

Electric seats with Memory (Prestige has no electric seats but no memory function)

Read Sun Blind

Wood Grain finish (vs dark grey finish of Prestige)

Sunroof (which can be optioned on the Prestige)

The Sports Luxury also has the following, which can be chosen as an optional "Enhancement Pack" for the Prestige:

Sattelite Navigation

Reversing Camera

Bluetooth capability

14 Speaker Mark Levinson Sound system

Looking on the Lexus website it would appear as though you can now option the Prestige with 17" wheels or sports suspension and 18" wheels.

Wish they had those options when I bought the car!

Hope this helps...

And yes I do agree with Sapphire Cam. Prestige + option pack definitely the best buy!

The sports luxury however does not have sports suspension or sports foot pedals like the sports does.. which I find extremely disappointing.

The prestige is very basic. My father-in-law has one, and it is horrible to drive compared to my sports luxury. Once you have the little extras you never thought you would need or want, when they are gone its like driving a hyandai.

Now after driving the IS-F, I feel like my sports luxury is starting in 4th gear at the lights. I just want seat cooling on it though. I think it should have fatter tyres too. They should be at least 265s at the back i think.

Dear oh dear - the things people say on on-line forums.... Driving a Prestige with EMV is equivalent to driving a Hyundai?? Possibly the stupidest thing Ive ever read on this Forum. The IS250 Prestige is the class leader in standard equipment - streets ahead of anything Audi, BMW, Merc, VW, Honda etc. can put on the table for $60k. Yes Pygtohian, the Prestige is very basic indeed isn't it - I think on your advice I'm better off trading my IS250 Horse-n-cart variant in for a Hyundai Getz then. So sorry, but I can see how terrible the driving experience must be without those critical fundamentals like illuminated door sills, radar cruise control, adaptive lighting, wood paneling, motorised rear shade and headlight washers. :)

Dear oh dear - the things people say on on-line forums.... Driving a Prestige with EMV is equivalent to driving a Hyundai?? Possibly the stupidest thing Ive ever read on this Forum. The IS250 Prestige is the class leader in standard equipment - streets ahead of anything Audi, BMW, Merc, VW, Honda etc. can put on the table for $60k. Yes Pygtohian, the Prestige is very basic indeed isn't it - I think on your advice I'm better off trading my IS250 Horse-n-cart variant in for a Hyundai Getz then. So sorry, but I can see how terrible the driving experience must be without those critical fundamentals like illuminated door sills, radar cruise control, adaptive lighting, wood paneling, motorised rear shade and headlight washers. :)

haha, i'm going to add my two cents in on this one as well and would have to agree with sapphire.

arguably the stupiest thing ever said in this forum in relation to the is250!

hyundai & lexus in same league......hmmmm

It is a terrible driving experience akin to riding in a horse and cart, definitely better off in a Hyundai

I take his comments as relating to the father-in-law. Perhaps he he should have said "I DO NOT" rather than "I DO" lol. Using a Car to attack someone is lame.

its like driving a hyandai.

I think the "Hyundai" tag was just meant to be a metaphor for "huge difference". I don't think Pygothian intended to use it as a simile.

Did you Pygothian????

exactly...i think too many people take what I said a bit seriously :)

Hey Guys

Thanks so much for the responses and info. Its a massive help.

I will likley look to get a 06 or 07 model, mainly due to the fact that it should be a bit cheaper than the newer models....or more to the point, i should be able to get a better spec model for similar money...the downside is it may have 30k kms on it...but Lexus' are pretty bullet proof so i could not see that being an issue.

It seems the general consensus is the prestige with the enhancment pack is the best value......the main things ill miss in this option is the 'Alcantra??' seats...they are like ventilated leather right? where as they are in both sports and sports lucury (even if the SL is the only with the heating and cooling)

The other day on car sales there was an 06 SL with like 40k kms for $43k, it had the wording 'cheapest spots luxury on carsales' or something. I thought that was pretty good value indeed.

I do like the idea of the sports pedals and stuff...but also like the idea of the illuminated door sills, which may only be in the SL.

I guess it will just be a matter of keeping my eye online and when i see something that seems really good value just going for it. By the sounds of it the Prestige with the options will be a brilliant car either way. Fingers crossed that in the next 6 months there are a few bargains out there.

Iv been so happy with my is200 that upgrading to the 250 was just such a logical choice. I looked at some other options like Honda Accord Euro...new Mazda 6 etc... and value for money the is250 is far superior. Especially as they are not as common on the road (well here in adelaide at least) and they ahve all the fun gadgets etc on them.

Might not be the correct place for this post but my is200 has the 'Legana' badging on the front grill...along with a body kit that iv only really seen on one other is200...any one know anything about that particular model?

Hey Guys

Thanks so much for the responses and info. Its a massive help.

I will likley look to get a 06 or 07 model, mainly due to the fact that it should be a bit cheaper than the newer models....or more to the point, i should be able to get a better spec model for similar money...the downside is it may have 30k kms on it...but Lexus' are pretty bullet proof so i could not see that being an issue.

It seems the general consensus is the prestige with the enhancment pack is the best value......the main things ill miss in this option is the 'Alcantra??' seats...they are like ventilated leather right? where as they are in both sports and sports lucury (even if the SL is the only with the heating and cooling)

The other day on car sales there was an 06 SL with like 40k kms for $43k, it had the wording 'cheapest spots luxury on carsales' or something. I thought that was pretty good value indeed.

I do like the idea of the sports pedals and stuff...but also like the idea of the illuminated door sills, which may only be in the SL.

I guess it will just be a matter of keeping my eye online and when i see something that seems really good value just going for it. By the sounds of it the Prestige with the options will be a brilliant car either way. Fingers crossed that in the next 6 months there are a few bargains out there.

Iv been so happy with my is200 that upgrading to the 250 was just such a logical choice. I looked at some other options like Honda Accord Euro...new Mazda 6 etc... and value for money the is250 is far superior. Especially as they are not as common on the road (well here in adelaide at least) and they ahve all the fun gadgets etc on them.

Might not be the correct place for this post but my is200 has the 'Legana' badging on the front grill...along with a body kit that iv only really seen on one other is200...any one know anything about that particular model?

Solirossi,

The Alcantara seats are a suede like fabric which you can find on some IS200 and is only available on the Sports IS250. The Sports Luxury comes with leather seats.

The Legana edition of the IS200 was a limited edition run and as such you might be able to get a good price if you sell privately or trade in.

I have a Sports Luxury model and when I get a loan car from my dealer it's usually a Prestige and if you get one with the enhancement pack you will not really be missing out on anything that you can't live without. The main difference for me would be, the HID's (which you can get kits for anyway), and the forward facing sensors (useful if your missus drives the car). Apart from that unless you have kids the rear sun shade is useless, the radar cruise control I find annoying as on the motorway it will never let you get up close to someone as it slows you down to their speed and they then never move out of the way. The headlight washers, I have never used. The illuminated door sills only light up if you have the inside light set to turn on when you open the door.

So my advice would be get a Prestige with the enhancement pack and add things to the car you want, i.e. exhaust, wheels etc.

Hey Art, that is a great help.

The rear blind is not such a bad idea in that im in my mid 20's and my wife and I are planning to have a baby in the next 18 months or so...so the blind would be good for that.

Also can you confirm for me the seats in the Sports Luxury and the Prestige are identical (except for the heating and cooling function)?

Are HID's, they are the high intensity lights? Also calle Bi-Xenon? So I gather the prestige just has standard bulbs then?

Would be good to be able to get it a bit cheaper and whack on some new rims and exhaust as well.

Thanks for the Legana info, i figured as much but never really knew what the go was.

The seats in the Prestige & SL are the same and both have the heating and cooling. Only in the X model you lose the heated/cooling seats (don't get me started :angry:

HID / Xenon same thing; Prestige uses standard halogen bulbs with the standard look. HID conversion is a cheap and easy mod to take it to that luxury look.

The consensus seems to be, stick with prestige with enhancement pack and add the little extras you want. You can get the 06 & 07 at a pretty decent price now, but the KM's would vary. Keep looking, the right one will come along.

Good luck & enjoy!

Don't forget, although you can always add bits to a lower spec car to get want YOU want, it may not be what the next person, or trade in, wants. As such you may well reduce the value of the car when it comes to upgrading.

If you get the car that has the genuine OEM at delivery bits you want to start with then it will be much easier to onsell at a realisitic price.

Good point Bluey, but the way I see it, I trade cars every 3 or so years and I want to enjoy that car as much as possible before passing it on. When selling, if it's not what one buyer wants, there's always someone out there who may want it. Although, wheels for example, if you've upgraded, keep the stocks and replace when selling.

I say, enjoy the car the way you want to while you've got it.

FrankyX

I agree you must firstly enjoy your ride.

Just pointing out the pitfalls of making numerous non OEM mods, and it's especially the case if trading in with a manufacturer dealer as they find it harder to move a modded car, so less trade in value will be offered. I also believe it to be even greater when dealing with more upmarket vehicles like ours.

I've always taken the view that whatever extras/mods I've chosen to do will at best make the car easier to sell, though will not obtain a higher selling price. In other words, I write-off the costs of non oem mods immediately, and expect little or no added return for oem extras/changes. (unless you go for a full bundle like the Enhancement Option on the Prestige - which would obviously add to the trade-in value somewhat)

• 1 month later...

Guys, I went into the Lexus dealership on the weekend for a test drive and the Sports model has not been dropped. The Sports didn't have the Alcantara seats either.. just normal leather. It also had some nice 18 inch rims that I hadn't seen before that were a shiny gunmetal colour.

detect, I'm not sure what you are going off but if you check out the Lexus Australia website, there is no mention of a Sports model any more. I have also spoken with the dealers and with the introduction of the 2009 model, the Sports was not included for production. The sales were poor and were not justified to continue.

Most buyers were opting to buy the prestige and upgrade the wheels & suspension to get a car that is superior to the Sports anyway. I like the Alcantara, but it's a luxury car, you want leather.

The easiest way to tell is if it doesn't have the Sports Luxury woodgrain interior, the dealer has probably upgraded a Prestige to flog it and is selling it as a 'Sports' model. Don't be fooled.

detect, I'm not sure what you are going off but if you check out the Lexus Australia website, there is no mention of a Sports model any more. I have also spoken with the dealers and with the introduction of the 2009 model, the Sports was not included for production. The sales were poor and were not justified to continue.

Most buyers were opting to buy the prestige and upgrade the wheels & suspension to get a car that is superior to the Sports anyway. I like the Alcantara, but it's a luxury car, you want leather.

The easiest way to tell is if it doesn't have the Sports Luxury woodgrain interior, the dealer has probably upgraded a Prestige to flog it and is selling it as a 'Sports' model. Don't be fooled.

Yes, checking the price list it is a Prestige with the Sports pack which he was calling the Sports. Either way I was very tempted.

Hi Guys,

I really wanted the xenon lights since coming from a car that has xenon as standard. I just can't go back to halogen.

So either get an older sports luxury model say 05/06 which still costs quite a bit, close to 50k+. Or get a prestige with enhancement pack and mod the lights to xenon. My question is, if I mod the xenon to HID will it have auto adjust on hills etc so not to blind drivers?

Also does the prestige models have headlight washers where xenon cars require?

Thanks,

Kenn.