Hi all, i may have vented my disatisfaction on the paint finish of the IS previously (it's thin and looks non-metallic) but today i am really disatisfied after washing it.

I am now thinking of getting my car resprrayed with this thicker, 3D looking paint. i know there is a name for it, is it Metallic Pearl?

Does anyone know how much to do a respray?

Hi all, i may have vented my disatisfaction on the paint finish of the IS previously (it's thin and looks non-metallic) but today i am really disatisfied after washing it.

I am now thinking of getting my car resprrayed with this thicker, 3D looking paint. i know there is a name for it, is it Metallic Pearl?

ldc

What are you dissatified with?

How often do you wax/polish the paint?

Good maintenance of the paint will be much cheaper than a respray. Unfortunately simply washing the car will not keep it looking it's best, and some washing techniques can be very detrimental to the long term look of the finish. You may find that you do a respray and then within a year are again finding fault with the finish.

Look after what you have now and chances are a respray will not be required.

I wanted a pearl metallic finish with deep specs. The current flat metallic finish just get hard and harder to get dust off.

Perhaps not straight away but yeh, if i'm planning to keep the car for a while then i will think about a respray.

Why don't you take your car to a place called Currans in Auburn.

They can make your "flat" paint look like new again without having to respray your car and even so if you still wish to get it resprayed they can give you a quote.

Speak to either Sam or Pierre. They do great work there (from personal experience) and are also a Lexus approved repairer.

What colour do you currently have? I think the colour you mentioned is crystal mist or pearl white.

Keep us posted, I want to as well how much to respray

Thanks Art_76, is this a cut and buffer process you are referring to? I was after a long term solution.

Uad, it's just the standard silver. not sure what the name is.

Thanks Art_76, is this a cut and buffer process you are referring to? I was after a long term solution.

Uad, it's just the standard silver. not sure what the name is.

Yes mate, i totally agree the Lexus paint is thin and prone to scratches. Because it is good paint ?? not sure

Definitely keep us posted on the price and post some pix of the repainted car. if they do a good job I am gonna have mine done too.

cheers

lol i'm not doing it yet. Just wanted to know the cost, but i feel it could be expensive. Something in the order of 5K at least.

They will do pretty much anything you want them to do. Your car might just need a cut and buff or something more permanent like you said.

A full respray will be expensive and might be unnecessary. Best bet is go in and show them and they can give you options.

Hi LDC,

I would have to agree with Bluey and Art! I would doing anything to repair or rather rectify the damage to my paint before looking at a re-spray!

It was my understanding that the paint used on the Lexus wasn't as such thin, but rather soft. I can't recall how old your car was, but I have to say that my paint still has a "Full body" shine so to speak. The only area that I did have a problem with was the horizontal surface of my rear bumper but after some advice from Bluey, now that too is looking really nice!!! ;)

Soft........Yeh im pretty sad about my stone chips but I must say that I think that the M2( Sydneys worst motorway) is just crap and I would probably get it on any car but just not as much!!

LDC, take the boys advise and take your car some where for a look! In the long term, you will be better off I think!!

Put it this way..... I would never ever buy a car (luxury or just plain expensive) that has been re-sprayed!!!! Ever!!!! I guess if the joint is an approved Lexus repairer , yeh I could handle a re-sprayed guard,.......maybe!!! Its just never the same in my opinion. Definately not long term!!!

Anyway, good luck man!!!

Later!

True that anywhere horizontal is where the dust settles, except the roof which i would think the wind blows if away. The car still shines no worries but the little black dust on the horizontal surfaces just don't wash off. I agree that no one would want to buy a resprayed car, will probably get it cut and buff as a couple have said. Just can't understand why they didnt make the silver a pearl metallic finish. :(

Hi LDC,

I would have to agree with Bluey and Art! I would doing anything to repair or rather rectify the damage to my paint before looking at a re-spray!

It was my understanding that the paint used on the Lexus wasn't as such thin, but rather soft. I can't recall how old your car was, but I have to say that my paint still has a "Full body" shine so to speak. The only area that I did have a problem with was the horizontal surface of my rear bumper but after some advice from Bluey, now that too is looking really nice!!! ;)

Soft........Yeh im pretty sad about my stone chips but I must say that I think that the M2( Sydneys worst motorway) is just crap and I would probably get it on any car but just not as much!!

LDC, take the boys advise and take your car some where for a look! In the long term, you will be better off I think!!

Put it this way..... I would never ever buy a car (luxury or just plain expensive) that has been re-sprayed!!!! Ever!!!! I guess if the joint is an approved Lexus repairer , yeh I could handle a re-sprayed guard,.......maybe!!! Its just never the same in my opinion. Definately not long term!!!

Anyway, good luck man!!!

Hey ProjectIS, could you be more specific on the advice from Bluey?? we want to learn as well.

I have tried Megauirs NXT gen tech wax and the clay kit before, they did give the car a deeper shine, but they dont last long as dust tend to stick to the waxed area more easily. and the wax kinda wear off after a few washes. also they do little to the swirl marks or the scratches.

Please share with us tips on how to restore the paint's showroom condition. much appreciated

Later!

Hey Guys.. I had my IS repainted recently because it was looking a lil dull... United Body Work @ Prestons did it for me. He purchased the paint from Lexus and did it all for me. IT LOOKS STUNNING...Gorjuz Metallic Blue. If you want his details, let me know. Ofcourse every car would be different $$, so you may need to call him for a quote. I get my car executive hand washed n polished every weekend to keep it in showroom condition.

Now thats my 5cents worth lol Back 2 work.... :)

MRLexus, was it metallic pearl finish? I would think so ay?

If you could just us a price range, would really appreciate it :)

If I can add my two cents worth in - a respray would drop the value of the car, particularly a recent prestige car and pose some questions for future buyers. Particuarly when the hard to reach spots (door jars, inside the bonnet etc.) will look a different colour (ie. silver) to the new pearl finish you're contemplating.

Id go along with others here, and spend a good $400-500 on a professional paint restoration job. THEN if you're still not happy, consider a respray.

But there are a few posts in this forum from other owners that have had been rapt at how their paintwork has come up after a good professional polish and detailing job.

A friend of mine just bought a 4 yr old Merc C-class coupe, and spent just $250 on a detailing package, as the paint work was a bit dull. Now looks a completely different car - he is rapt.

If I can add my two cents worth in - a respray would drop the value of the car, particularly a recent prestige car and pose some questions for future buyers. Particuarly when the hard to reach spots (door jars, inside the bonnet etc.) will look a different colour (ie. silver) to the new pearl finish you're contemplating.

Id go along with others here, and spend a good $400-500 on a professional paint restoration job. THEN if you're still not happy, consider a respray.

But there are a few posts in this forum from other owners that have had been rapt at how their paintwork has come up after a good professional polish and detailing job.

A friend of mine just bought a 4 yr old Merc C-class coupe, and spent just $250 on a detailing package, as the paint work was a bit dull. Now looks a completely different car - he is rapt.

I agree, a full respray done properly, will mean stripping the whole car etc. For me it's not worth the cost, I would say you would be paying over $5K at the minimum but definitely closer to $10K for a professional job.

It would be much cheaper to get a professional detail, i.e. at a professional detailing place or smash repairer as opposed to your local car wash and see if your paint improves.

MRLexus, was it metallic pearl finish? I would think so ay?

If you could just us a price range, would really appreciate it :)

Hey sorry its more like what Sapphire Cam said, its Paint restoration, I paid $500. It looks amazing and a real head turner. :)

could some one please recommend some places that do a good job on paint restoration ??

thanks

If you are in Sydney, United Body Works @ Prestons does an excellent job. :)

Hey ProjectIS, could you be more specific on the advice from Bluey?? we want to learn as well.

I have tried Megauirs NXT gen tech wax and the clay kit before, they did give the car a deeper shine, but they dont last long as dust tend to stick to the waxed area more easily. and the wax kinda wear off after a few washes. also they do little to the swirl marks or the scratches.

Please share with us tips on how to restore the paint's showroom condition. much appreciated

Later!

uad

Unfortunately paint maintenance is an ongoing process, and not a once off. You are right about the dust, but I think it seems to be more troublesome after waxing because you spend some time and TLC getting it looking its best that you will notice the dust. Once the car is a little grubby you don't care too much about the dust. Also you tend to take more care of the paint during the warmer months, which is also when there is more dust floating about, especially when water restrictions are in place.

Swirl marks and little scratches are a whole other topic. These usually appear due to poor washing technique, or using automatic carwashes. Waxes can give a little covereage but are not designed for this purpose, for a better result at eliminating these you will need to use products and processes that are designed for that purpose.

Hey Guys,

I got my car done by these guys http://www.paintprotectiondirect.com.au/

It's a lot easier to look after and I find dust is not as bad a problem as it used to be. You can get a DIY kit aswell or otherwise get them to do it for you. I got them to do it as I did not have the time to do it myself, and the results were pretty good, on my old black IS200 when I first got it, I had the similar problems to uad but as soon as I got the 250 I got the protection done straightaway and it makes a big difference.

However I never take my car to a car wash anywhere, always wash at home with a nice bucket :)

However I never take my car to a car wash anywhere, always wash at home with a nice bucket :)

Have you tried the two bucket method.........not joking. :P

1 bucket, wash solution

2 bucket, rinse water......this way all grime that gets into the wash mitt, falls into the rinse bucket, then reload with the wash solution.

And remember to rinse often so you do not get the wash solution drying on the paint and leaving water marks, especially important for dark colours.

Hey Bluey!

Yeah I actually do use two buckets exactly as you describe :). I saw this youtube video about a new bucket that holds all the grit at the bottom, cant remember what it's called. I wonder if you can get that in aus? I think it was called a grit guard ?

Btw someone told me there is a laser car wash in Chatswood, I wonder how that works. Anyone been there?

Hey Guys,

I got my car done by these guys http://www.paintprotectiondirect.com.au/

It's a lot easier to look after and I find dust is not as bad a problem as it used to be. You can get a DIY kit aswell or otherwise get them to do it for you. I got them to do it as I did not have the time to do it myself, and the results were pretty good, on my old black IS200 when I first got it, I had the similar problems to uad but as soon as I got the 250 I got the protection done straightaway and it makes a big difference.

Hey Naz, how much did you pay for the whole package if you dont mind me asking

thanks man