Hey

the post on full spray got me to check my paintwork again tonight. I found quite a few little bumps on the bonnett which i cannot buff off. You cannot tell them until you look close up under light and feel like a bubble underneath the paint surface.

Please have a look at the pix, has anyone had similar issues? how do i get rid of it? Does warranty cover this ??

thanks guys

BTW, has anyone ever found that the brakes are a bit loud when coming to a complete stop. It sounded like a piece of timber is being polished by sandpaper. This is especially noticeably louder in reverse at low speed. Has anyone noticed ? or is it just me?

post-3266-1242911721_thumb.jpg

post-3266-1242911758_thumb.jpg

post-3266-1242911798_thumb.jpg

uad

A little hard to tell, but i would suspect something on the paint surface rather than a paint problem at this stage. Maybe sap.

I would start by cleaning the area, then running over the area with a clay bar.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/auto...g-clay-bar.html

This will remove all the contaminants on the surface of the paint much better than any buffing. The kit can be got from most auto shops like Supercheap.

Those are pretty rough surfaces. Does the bubble feel lumpy or is the spot actually flat?

I would not feel too bad about it on the bonnets, it's elsewhere that you worry about.

Im pretty confident its nothing to do with the paint - and as alluded to here by Bluey, Im pretty sure its sap. Ive had those little spots from time to time, and they do disappear. My Meguair's Speed Detailer (Waterless Car Wash) works the best for things like that.

Water and car wash detergent is a bit weak for any strong contaminants like bird droppings, insect, sap, etc.). Claying would probably do the trick too, although Ive always been reluctant to try claying, as I heard it can be detrimental to the clear coat.

On extremely rare instances, industrial fallout can cause duco damage like that (caustic mist from refining processes and some metals such as silver nitrate and iron oxides), which if left on the duco for more than a few hours can react with the paint. This is EXTREMELY rare, although I do know of cases of where this occurred. I doubt if this is your problem, unless you had dozens of spots occur all at once and appeared corrosive - as I say, I reckon yours is sap.

As for the brakes, its a known IS250 issue - just an inconvenience, nothing more. My Lexus dealer is frustrated with it, but unlike the US which issue replacement caliper and pad sets - there is no such remedy here in Oz.

it feel lumpy but the surface of the lump is smooth, that's why i think its something underneath.

whats TLC?

thanks guys

It definitely looks like sap from a tree. It happened to me once when I had an IS200, to make matters worse it was a 40+ degree day which meant it went the sap went hard on the paint and the car was black also. Took me hours to get it cleaned up, I even resorted to pouring boiling water on it to soften it up. I never parked under that dammed tree again.

TLC, tender loving care, most people lavish it on loved ones (humans). I would dare say most of us here would lavish it on our cars...

it feel lumpy but the surface of the lump is smooth, that's why i think its something underneath.

whats TLC?

thanks guys

It definitely looks like sap from a tree. It happened to me once when I had an IS200, to make matters worse it was a 40+ degree day which meant it went the sap went hard on the paint and the car was black also. Took me hours to get it cleaned up, I even resorted to pouring boiling water on it to soften it up. I never parked under that dammed tree again.

TLC, tender loving care, most people lavish it on loved ones (humans). I would dare say most of us here would lavish it on our cars...

thanks man

I tried to clay it off with Maguairs. it didn't work :(

Could you tell me how exactly you got it off ? I have a number of these spots on the bonnet

thanks

thanks man

Could you tell me how exactly you got it off ? I have a number of these spots on the bonnet

thanks

After claying is the "bump" still there?, could you feel it as you ran over it with the clay? and is the paint around the bump now very smooth?

It may be worthwhile leaving the car in the sun for a while to warm up the paint and then try the clay. If it's sap then it should soften.

If none of this works then try having checked by a couple of crash shops to get their opinion.

Sapphire cam,

if done properly there is absolutely no danger to the paint. You just need to make sure you use enough of the lubricating spray so the clay doesn't grab, it should run very smoothly and easiliy over the paint surface. And make sure, if you drop the clay on the ground, THROW IT AWAY, as it will have picked up grit from the ground and you will then proceed to grind it into your paint surface.

video on how and why

Written info http://www.waxit.com.au/howto.asp?howto=2

whats TLC?

thanks guys

thanks man

thanks

I tried pouring boiling water on it and it softened to a grease like substance which I was able to rub off slowly and then I waxed and polished the whole car afterwards. It did take me a long time to get it off though but to be honest I had it all over the car, roof, hood and trunk. You have to resist the temptation to try and scrape it off or rub it off.

Good luck.

I tried the boiling water technique ..... didn't work......

It's strange because I only have these on the hood, nowhere else on the car......that's why i think it might have been an paint problem...

I found one mark on mine a few weeks after I picked it up from the dealer similar to this lump. What they had done was fix a stone chip by placing a drop of paint on it, but it did not finish flush and ended up coming off after a few washes.

Does yours feel like it is under the clear coat or is this a raised paint spot?

Try 50/50 turps and kero, else try Shellite by itself first if you want to start with a weaker solution.

Dab it on one of the lumps with cotton bud and let it sit for 30 seconds. Dab again with the cotton bud. If it has softened, dab off with a thick baby wipe or soft sponge or soft cotton open-weave cloth. Wash with your normal car wash solution and rinse afterwards.

Been done a couple of times on my car to remove stubborn sap. Not all sap comes off with hot water or clay, depends on the tree it came from - the resins differ.

Very odd if it's just on the hood. If it's a paint issue caused by contaminants beneath the clear coat, it would have to do with either the primer/aluminium hood reaction with whatever contaminant is there.

uad, what did you mean by buffing it?

It feels like it is just a raised paint spot.....

By buffing it, I mean trying to rub it off with some quick detailer/cleaner.

Where can I get these Turps, Kero nd shellite?

Turps (Mineral Turpentine) and kero (Kerosene) are available in any supermarket. Shellite (commericial name for naptha type product or lighter fluid) from your local hardware store (same shelf that they stock the turps and kero on).